Any Chance We Go After Greg Hardy?

I love the way Hardy plays, I think he'd be a huge gain for the defense. I know he's going to be very expensive, but I think he'd help the defense turn around really quickly and would be worth every penny. I'm not sure there's a great chance he'll be a free agent, but if he is, I hope we sign him. Thoughts?

Per Rotoworld:

Panthers GM Dave Gettleman hinted that there's a possibility the team could let impending free agent RE Greg Hardy walk."Everybody lets players go. There isnít a team in this league that hasnít let a big dog walk out the door. And donít print that Iím saying that heís going to go," Gettleman said. "Iím just making a statement. There isnít anybody that hasnít done that. Itís a whole big puzzle weíre putting together and heís one of the pieces." Gettleman referenced Carolina's cap issues multiple times in his exit presser Tuesday, so he doesn't have a lot of money to work with. Hardy would be a massive loss. He's contributed 26 sacks and played outstanding run defense the past two seasons. Hardy is our No. 1 free-agent DE
    "When they boo you, you know they mean you." George Halas

Hardy would make our whole DL better. Problem is, we just busted our nut on Cutler and we've got so many middle of roster moves to make. But I'd break the bank for Hardy w/out much thought.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

If the defense can just get better by half our window for the SB is now! Our D was 30th we need to do whatever we can to get <15th for a run at the title

I really don't see Hardy making it to the open market. I think he'll either get tagged and/or sign a long term deal with the Panthers.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    I really don't see Hardy making it to the open market. I think he'll either get tagged and/or sign a long term deal with the Panthers.
    This.

I don't think he makes it to the market, but when Carolina's cap is tied up in 3 RBs, anything is possible.

He would be my top target with Ward. we need to revamp the DL but I would rather target DE in FA as I think the position is more of a crap shoot in the draft than DT and I like the group overall at DT better in the draft.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

Quote Originally Posted by BearsFanInMN View Post
    I don't think he makes it to the market, but when Carolina's cap is tied up in 3 RBs, anything is possible.

He would be my top target with Ward. we need to revamp the DL but I would rather target DE in FA as I think the position is more of a crap shoot in the draft than DT and I like the group overall at DT better in the draft.
    Yeah, and outside of Hardy, FA DEs are pretty LE heavy, sans Hardy and Michael Johnson. And in the draft, it's pretty much Clowney and then Kony Ealy, and then a bunch of guys. I think they should try to get at least one DT in FA though (maybe Clinton McDonald or Vance Walker) before the draft, that way they have some more flexibility.

TJ Ward would be a great target if he doesn't get tagged. I'd like to sign him and Mike Mitchell and pair those two up together. CHI would at lesat have some athletic hitters back there.

As far as Greg Hardy, if he hits the market, I'm sure the Bears will be interested. I just don't think they'll dedicate the money to it like they did for 90 when he was a FA.

My guess is they'd target Johnson, Bennett or Houston, someone that will cost...but likely not as much as Hardy would bring.

Carolina's GM just said "you can't keep everyone" when referencing Hardy. We still have a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by brantcruz50 View Post
    This.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

Hard to imagine the Bears not cutting Peppers loose to free up 8-9M to use on Hardy.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Hard to imagine the Bears not cutting Peppers loose to free up 8-9M to use on Hardy.
    Would love to see Hardy in a Bears Uniform. He would give us a solid [up and coming] defensive end for 5-6 years!

Nope, he already said he would give them a home town discount.

with the great support that Peppers had this year does anyone really think Hardy (or anyone else) could've fared any better with our supporting cast on the D-line?