How much change should this team go through this offseason?

Sometimes change is good, but other times not as good. This team won games this year despite their lack of talent. They won because for the most part they
    played as a team. They won 10 games despite starting 3 different QB's, having a rookie coach who never coached at any level in the NFL etc. So as we all read
    articles and put together our lists of areas of upgrades the question to me comes is how much change is good? What would hurt the chemistry of the team?

I have read and don't nessccarily disagree that the Eagles need two new safeties, a young outside corner, an outside rush linebacker, depth beyond the rest of
    starters in the linebacking corp, A big fat DT and probably another rotational end. Low side 8 new players four of which (safety, DT,OLB) are starters. On offense
    we could come back with the same offensive team and as long as we stay healthy be ok. But that also means resigning Riley Cooper and Mike Vick. Cooper is
    a good possibility, Vick is not. Lets say we add another QB (via the draft), also add some competition for the o line and wide receiver. Say 5 new players. Add to
    that a new kicker, our punter is a free agent but a good bet to be back. So is adding say 15 new players a good mix?

The coaching, offense, and defense were the major changes, now that those are firmly in place, adding talent and competition is never a bad thing. If the additions are good enough to be at out the incumbent then I dont think there will be any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Sometimes change is good, but other times not as good. This team won games this year despite their lack of talent. They won because for the most part they
    played as a team. They won 10 games despite starting 3 different QB's, having a rookie coach who never coached at any level in the NFL etc. So as we all read
    articles and put together our lists of areas of upgrades the question to me comes is how much change is good? What would hurt the chemistry of the team?

I have read and don't nessccarily disagree that the Eagles need two new safeties, a young outside corner, an outside rush linebacker, depth beyond the rest of
    starters in the linebacking corp, A big fat DT and probably another rotational end. Low side 8 new players four of which (safety, DT,OLB) are starters. On offense
    we could come back with the same offensive team and as long as we stay healthy be ok. But that also means resigning Riley Cooper and Mike Vick. Cooper is
    a good possibility, Vick is not. Lets say we add another QB (via the draft), also add some competition for the o line and wide receiver. Say 5 new players. Add to
    that a new kicker, our punter is a free agent but a good bet to be back. So is adding say 15 new players a good mix?

Doesn't every team add about 20 new players a year though? I mean you draft an average of 7 new players....Nearly every team signs an average of at least 2-3 free agents right? They may be low end FA but your still adding to your team....then Each team brings in 10-15 Undrafted Free agents. So this is good competition for the starters, make them win those jobs, and when the young kids progress enough, they will take the job from the current starter. Obviously if we sign a top notch FA Safety, they will start immediately,but if we draft one in rd 2 or 3 they will have to earn their position. A kicker will be brought in for competition, no doubt. I think competition is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Doesn't every team add about 20 new players a year though? I mean you draft an average of 7 new players....Nearly every team signs an average of at least 2-3 free agents right? They may be low end FA but your still adding to your team....then Each team brings in 10-15 Undrafted Free agents. So this is good competition for the starters, make them win those jobs, and when the young kids progress enough, they will take the job from the current starter. Obviously if we sign a top notch FA Safety, they will start immediately,but if we draft one in rd 2 or 3 they will have to earn their position. A kicker will be brought in for competition, no doubt. I think competition is a good thing.
    Agreed. I could see as few as 1 or 2 new starters immediately out of the process. You are churning the back end of the roster as always and developing guys to start a couple years down the road.

I see significant change in the backup ranks, but relative stability with the starters. I'm guessing 2 starters each on offense and defense, and a new K.

New K and Safety seem likely. Not sure what other starting positions would turn over? Maclin for Cooper? Barbre for Herremans? Draft picks could compete for starting spots at LB, CB, S??

I think there will be 2 new LBs, but I think I project more change there than others. I'm not sure there will be a change at S. Allen was much improved and Wolff has promise.

Plenty of things to address...

These things have to be addressed this offseason.

WR - We need a total overhaul here imo. Jackson will probably become a problem. Cooper can be replaced by a younger cheaper version in the draft, Maclin has had 2 acls on the same knee, Avant is slow and old and we have nothing after that. Id address this through the draft.
    S - Nate needs to go. Wolff can be the other starter. Need depth as well. Go Byrd or Ward in Free Agency. Could use 2. 1 starter 1 for depth.
    CB - Need at least a youngin to replace Williams in 2015. Depth is a huge need here. Draft most likely. Could use 2.
    QB - Vick is a FA. We have only 2 under contract. Probably a vet but who knows.

These things can possibly wait a year but why wait if you can fix them now....

RG - Herremans needs to go now or after 2014. Prefer to address this now though.
    OLB - Replacement for Cole. Could also be addressed in 2015.
    OT - Peters will be a FA after 2014. Could wait till 2015.
    ILB - Future replacement for Ryans. Could be addressed in 2015.
    Last edited by swat; 01-15-2014 at 12:45 AM.

I think we will see several new starters on defense, but quite possibly none on offense. I predict two new safeties, and maybe a new OLB, with a young corner and NT added to the depth mix.

I think the Eagles come out fairly aggressive in FA. This is a smart group and they know what holes they need to address; obviously Safety should be a big priority and if Byrd/Ward become a FA I'm sure we will be in the hunt for their services. CB and OLB will probably be addressed as well. I'm excited, is it March yet?

Right on Taz. If you completely crack the foundation that was built here the whole thing is going to be pretty fragile.

Everybody that is here now, already knows how they are going to be used. Each of them have a whole offseason to work towards that. Cole was better towards the end than early in the year. Starting over just takes you backwards. Hopefully the OLB we draft is making impact plays come next December and taking time from Cole. You bring in a new guy and now he's thinking instead of reacting. Backwards. You bring in a rookie and he's hitting a wall in December. Backwards.

Change out the safeties, change out Herremans and the rest falls into place.