Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I expect thqt DT will be addressed both in FA and the draft, however, I think it is imperative to get the tall, pass rushing OLB in the draft. I love Beasley, but I don;t think he's what Chip is looking for. Trent Murphy fits the description best that I can see. After that, then expect WR; CB; Sl and DT to be acquired.

I dont know that Murphy is an OLB in the NFL.

I think we are pretty set at 3-4 DE with Thornton, Cox, Logan and Curry. Logan can play NT but another NT is needed.

Where we need help is OLB. We need at least one and maybe two OLBs in addition to Connor Barwin. Cole was OK down the stretch but is still not a 3-4 OLB and neither is Brandon Graham, who probably should be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by old duke View Post
    I expect thqt DT will be addressed both in FA and the draft, however, I think it is imperative to get the tall, pass rushing OLB in the draft. I love Beasley, but I don;t think he's what Chip is looking for. Trent Murphy fits the description best that I can see. After that, then expect WR; CB; Sl and DT to be acquired.
    I like Trent Murphy but he is probably too slow to play opposite of Barwin. It would be a very formidable run defense but would lack speed off the edge. Murphy may have to bulk up and move to 3-4 DE, or be a 4-3 end.

I don't worry at all about Beasley's height ... we just need someone with speed, quickness and moves to reach the QB quickly. I don't care if he's 6'5" or 6'2" ... like I've said be4, Robert Mathis is the same height and may end up being a HOF'er. Trent Cole is maybe a half inch taller and has also had an excellent career rushing the passer. I would actually draft Beasley, keep Cole for one more year and have them rotate. Trade Graham for what you can get ... 4th/5th rounder.

Can Beasley drop back and cover? That is a large key, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by old duke View Post
    Can Beasley drop back and cover? That is a large key, IMO.
    I agree and I was looking for tape on him in coverage and have see none.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    I don't worry at all about Beasley's height ... we just need someone with speed, quickness and moves to reach the QB quickly. I don't care if he's 6'5" or 6'2" ... like I've said be4, Robert Mathis is the same height and may end up being a HOF'er. Trent Cole is maybe a half inch taller and has also had an excellent career rushing the passer.
    And they both played their careers at end. Length is preferred at OLB.
    Last edited by eaglesnut; 01-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.

long arms are way more important than height

The Rush LB in the 3-4 is primarily a rush or chase guy. His coverage responsibilities are not many. That being said Beasley is very athletic and just because he wasn't asked to drop back much at Clemson doesn't mean he can't if asked. Von Miller didn't do much other than rush the passer in college either, but turned out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    The Rush LB in the 3-4 is primarily a rush or chase guy. His coverage responsibilities are not many. That being said Beasley is very athletic and just because he wasn't asked to drop back much at Clemson doesn't mean he can't if asked. Von Miller didn't do much other than rush the passer in college either, but turned out just fine.
    I agree 100% with this however, I was looking to see if he showoff any cover skills.

Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    long arms are way more important than height
    True. Gotta wait a few weeks for that.

Thus my question, why would we draft Offense in the first or second round.

Maybe a backup doesn't have to play as many snaps, so he's better rested. That's for starters.
    [I]"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ___ Samuel Adams "Father of the American Revolution"

"Originally Posted by JackBauer"
    I'm still waiting to see the Democrats running on a platform of reduced federal spending.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123