Rebels fighting rebels in Syria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25652381

As best I can tell, the story says that Islamist rebels who would like to focus on overthrowing Assad have joined to fight Al Qaeda extreme Islamist rebels who want to run territory they already control with Taliban/Mali kinds of awfulness.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Did we arm both? Or just one of these factions? And did we expect this development? Seems predictable, 20/20 speaking.

I don't recall arming anyone? Either way, what a cluster fack.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

I do recall saying that the rebels were as bad as Assad and his band of thugs, and that people needed to get over their fascination with the image of a ragtag band of plucky freedom fighters waging the good fight against the evil empire.
    "No two people on Earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or else it isn't music."—Billie Holliday

Quote Originally Posted by AndromedaPatFan View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25652381

As best I can tell, the story says that Islamist rebels who would like to focus on overthrowing Assad have joined to fight Al Qaeda extreme Islamist rebels who want to run territory they already control with Taliban/Mali kinds of awfulness.
    Not only in Syria, but also in Iraq, where the Sunni tribal elders who had revolted against the Baghdad government, have now turned around, and according to some accounts together with Baghdad government forces are fighting against the ISIS (the Al Qaeda affiliated islamists)...
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    We're the armingest armers that ever armed. I'm sure some American(s) got a pretty penny somewhere. Certainly a clusteruck and perhaps a reminder that those involved in the fighting aren't as organized as our collective narratives like to pretend.

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    If not directly arming some of these groups (or perhaps both sides), then definitely indirectly (through for instance Saudi Arabia). And the US would not be the only one. About everyone who has arms to sell would be in it.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    I do recall saying that the rebels were as bad as Assad and his band of thugs, and that people needed to get over their fascination with the image of a ragtag band of plucky freedom fighters waging the good fight against the evil empire.
    You can make a very strong case they are worse than Assad.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Quote Originally Posted by DutchBird View Post
    If not directly arming some of these groups (or perhaps both sides), then definitely indirectly (through for instance Saudi Arabia). And the US would not be the only one. About everyone who has arms to sell would be in it.
    Qatar is the leading provider. Saudi is number two. America is behind or allied with all the providing nations. America is providing as well. Obama lifted the ban on providing weapons to terrorists to ensure it could happen.

Unilaterally of course because that's the new en vogue thing for Presidents. To change laws unilaterally.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    We're the armingest armers that ever armed.
    We are some Army Armington motor scooters for real.
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

In order for SAMCRO to get out of running guns in Cali. Jax had to make a deal with the Irish, so now the Telaviv charter (SAMJEW) is suppying AKs to the rebels and the rebels rebels and the Syrian forces. They also run a legit "dating service" out of a house in Demascus for all parties to have a bit of relaxation before getting back to fight for independance/control.

Meanwhile, Assad is killing a lot of civilians himself, and Russia thinks that's just fine, as does China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25663616
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknifer View Post
    You can make a very strong case they are worse than Assad.
    Entirely possible. But "rebels" is one of those words that makes the average American's eyes and brain glaze over.
    "No two people on Earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or else it isn't music."—Billie Holliday