Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    And the odds of a 4th round QB ending up better than Dalton are?
    Only slightly worse than the odds of a first round pick being better than Andy Dalton.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkdawg View Post
    But IMO, the running game of the Bengals is awful. Green-Ellis isn't a real dynamic player and IMO one of the worst starting RB's in the league.

You want the Bengals to get better, get a better running game.
    Heading into next year, Bernard is a top 10 RB IMO. Dude is uber talented. The Bengals did a fantastic job of bringing him into the NFL slowly and limiting his touches. Next year he will explode in much the same way similar smaller explosive guys like McCoy, Johnson did in their 2nd years.

That offense is loaded.

If I am the Bengals, I stick with Dalton but I draft a 5th/6th rounder to develop behind him. Its a really good draft year for that strategy too.
    Last edited by ducky; 01-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    And the odds of a 4th round QB ending up better than Dalton are?
    Not much different than they are for a 1st rounder they take of doing the same. The Bengals aren't in a position to take a QB early. But most importantly the draft is highly unlikely to fall in a way where there is going to be a QB worth the position in that 1st round where they are drafting.

Dalton just pissed down his leg in the playoffs. It happens. In fact go look at any HOF QB in the history of the NFL. It happens to everyone. But he had a really good year. 4300 yards, 33 TD's and a QB rating above 85. That is more than enough to win with.
    Last edited by ducky; 01-08-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyerhawk View Post
    If they spend a 1st rounder on trying to bring in a new QB they are utter morons.

Perhaps use a 3rd or 4th rounder but teams can't just blow high round flyers on QBs.
    Uh, whut? Here's the list of the top QBs by QBR this year:

1. Manning - 1st round
    2. Rivers - 1st round
    3. Brees - 1st pick of 2nd round
    4. Foles - 3rd round
    5. Rodgers - 1st round
    6. Kaepernick - 2nd round (36th pick)
    7. Cutler - 1st round
    8. Luck - 1st round
    9. Ryan - 1st round
    10. Brady - 6th round
    12. Romo - undrafted
    13. Wilson - 3rd round
    14. Newton - 1st round
    15. Dalton - 2nd round (35th pick)

10 of the top 15 QBs in the NFL were top 40 picks. Then just past this you have Roethlisberger, Stafford, Palmer, Ponder, Alex Smith, Bradford, Flacco, and Tannehill.

Simply put, if you are hoping you can draft a starting QB, let alone a franchise QB, outside the top 40 picks, you're hoping to hit the lottery.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    Not much different than they are for a 1st rounder they take of doing the same. The Bengals aren't in a position to take a QB early. But most importantly the draft is highly unlikely to fall in a way where there is going to be a QB worth the position in that 1st round where they are drafting.

Dalton just pissed down his leg in the playoffs. It happens. In fact go look at any HOF QB in the history of the NFL. It happens to everyone. But he had a really good year. 4300 yards, 33 TD's and a QB rating above 85. That is more than enough to win with.
    It's good enough to win with, but not good enough to spend $100MM to re-sign, which is the going rate for QBs. He's not going to ask for Alex Smith money. He's going to ask for Joe Flacco money. And honestly, who knows what will happen? Stranger things have happened. Aaron Rodgers inexplicably slid from potential #1 all the way to the Packers. Would it shock me if Manziel did the same thing due to character/size issues?

The Bengals don't have huge, glaring needs anywhere on their roster right now. They're young, they're deep and they have a few superstars at key positions. They are absolutely the type of team that can afford to draft a QB in the 1st, sit him on the bench for a year, and develop him while seeing if Dalton is worth re-signing. If Dalton proves to take a step forward in 2014, you pay him and trade the young guy for a high 2015 pick. If he shows the same as the last three years (can't perform in big games / under duress), then you move on with the young guy.

Now, if a 1st round talent QB is not there, I agree you don't just draft a guy for the sake of drafting a QB (ie, don't do what the Vikings did and way overdraft the next Christian Ponder). But if a guy they like is there, they absolutely should take him.
    "I don't Twitter, I don't MyFace, I don't do any of those things, so I'd probably be the last to know."

- Bill Belichick on the social media exploits of Chad Ochocinco

I don't disagree with the first part of your stance. He's not going to take most teams to a SB. It would take a miracle like the Flacco/Jacoby Jones thing last year (basically something non-sensical that carries zero logic and a very very very low probability of happening) for him to do so.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345