Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Empire View Post
    that whole draft was a miss, just forget about it and move on

thats all on balke
    To be fair, James has looked good as a returner. Too bad we used a 2nd on him.

And didn't we get a 3rd we used to trade up for Reid?
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

"If a person has an imaginary friend they call him crazy but if a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend they call it religion"

-My two favourite teams are the SF 49ers and whoever is playing the Seahawks.

"I'm still waiting for the greatest of all the young QB's to do his thing, but if he doesn't we've been told it wont be his fault"

Quote Originally Posted by Sakic19 View Post
    I have to give Fangio credit. His half time adjustments have been nothing short of amazing.

-Today we were dominant after the half
    -Last years NFCC game vs Atl we dominated after the half
    -Same thing in the Super Bowl.
    Gonna need both coaches to come in with great gameplans to start the game hot. Can't fall behind in Seattle and expect good results.
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Genus49 View Post
    Gonna need both coaches to come in with great gameplans to start the game hot. Can't fall behind in Seattle and expect good results.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...c-championship

Good read. I forgot how many lengthy drives we had in our two previous visits there. We can move the ball on that D but we can't make mistakes and we need to score.

This team is playing well and peaking at the right time. I like our chances.
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

"If a person has an imaginary friend they call him crazy but if a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend they call it religion"

"I'm still waiting for the greatest of all the young QB's to do his thing, but if he doesn't we've been told it wont be his fault"

Most acknowledged Greg Hardy's talent and top 40 potential but concerns about his work ethic, game effort and overall dedication to football were thought to be enough to push him into the 3rd round. His going in the 6th round was a huge surprise.
    CB KYLE FULLER, VA TECH; CB Pierre Desir, L'wood; CB Stanley Jean-Pierre, NE; CB Keith McGill, UT; SS DEONE BUCANNON, WA ST; SS Ahmad Dixon, Baylor; DE Stephon Tuitt, N.D.; DE Taylor Hart, OR; DE Brent Urban, VA; C Marcus Martin, USC; C TYLER LARSEN, UT ST.; C Weston Richburg, CO St.; OG/OC Anthony Steen, AL; *WR Odell Beckham, LSU; WR Brandin Cooks, OR St; WR Allen Robinson, PA St; WR Jordan Matthews, Vand; *WR PAUL RICHARDSON, CO; WR Mike Davis, TX; *QB Brett Smith, WY

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    There were a lot of red flags as to how dedicated a player he was/would become. he got some love on this board if I recall.
    Yes, from me, routinely.

People on this board were bagging on him for being interested in graphic design.

It's amusing to go back through the post history on this forum when it comes to certain guys (Mathieu, Hardy, Dez Bryant, Ahmad when we acquired him) and how bad they get ragged on for being headcases.

Fact is, we could easily have a LB set of Willis/Bowman/Brooks/Hardy, a WR pair of Crabtree/Bryant, and plenty more. Message boards don't dictate things to the front office, but playmakers are playmakers and when you can't be contained and dominate a game, you're probably going to be pretty good in the NFL as well.

Keep that in mind for Mike Evans this year. :)
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Empire View Post
    that whole draft was a miss, just forget about it and move on

thats all on balke
    I had forgotten how bad that draft was, a whole year of minimal talent and guys who fall off the roster-

AJ Jenkins
    LaMichael James
    Joe Looney
    Darius Fleming
    Trent Robinson
    Jason Slowey
    Cam Johnson

2 of those guys are on the active roster (and contribute hardly anything), 1 guy on the injured list (Fleming), and 0 on the PS.

Yikes.

And yeah we traded our pick that could have been TY Hilton to the Colts. Took Jenkins over Jeffrey.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    I had forgotten how bad that draft was, a whole year of minimal talent and guys who fall off the roster-

AJ Jenkins
    LaMichael James
    Joe Looney
    Darius Fleming
    Trent Robinson
    Jason Slowey
    Cam Johnson

2 of those guys are on the active roster (and contribute hardly anything), 1 guy on the injured list (Fleming), and 0 on the PS.

Yikes.

And yeah we traded our pick that could have been TY Hilton to the Colts. Took Jenkins over Jeffrey.
    Should always default to a guy who dominated the SEC, especially one that did it with no qb. Jeffrey and Randle were the guys I wanted. Most 9er fans wanted Fleener or Stephen Hill. Obviously Jenkins didn't work out but the picks 9er fans wanted have been what I expected them to be.

Gonna be the same thing this year with people wanting Benjamin or Devante Parker over Jordan Matthews. I don't give one crap what Benjamin Parker or Jordan run. Take the guy who dominated the SEC with nothing at qb. They translate.

When you have a talented team generally you don't have the guys at the bottom of drafts last too long on the roster or make a lot of plays. So then the effectiveness of the draft ends up being judged at the top so when you miss on the first rounder it's gonna bring all of it down.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

Quote Originally Posted by 9ERS4EVA View Post
    Should always default to a guy who dominated the SEC, especially one that did it with no qb. Jeffrey and Randle were the guys I wanted. Most 9er fans wanted Fleener or Stephen Hill. Obviously Jenkins didn't work out but the picks 9er fans wanted have been what I expected them to be.

Gonna be the same thing this year with people wanting Benjamin or Devante Parker over Jordan Matthews. I don't give one crap what Benjamin Parker or Jordan run. Take the guy who dominated the SEC with nothing at qb. They translate.

When you have a talented team generally you don't have the guys at the bottom of drafts last too long on the roster or make a lot of plays. So then the effectiveness of the draft ends up being judged at the top so when you miss on the first rounder it's gonna bring all of it down.
    I read that Matthews asked for tape on the corners he is going to face at the senior bowl. This kid is for.

But I don't think we could go wrong with Davante Parker either. That kid is good!
    --Colorado Avalanche
    --San Francisco 49ers
    --Washington Nationals
    --San Antonio Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by 9ERS4EVA View Post

Right. Like Mathieu and Greg Hardy.

Right. Like Mathieu and Greg Hardy.
    Didnt have a problem taking Matthieu, just had a problem taking him where you wanted to. Too much risk to chance before day 3. Well see if Peterson can keep him from being stupid.

I liked Hardy. Was shocked he fell.

Should rephrase and default to a WR who dominates the SEC though. What i meant to say.
    Last edited by 9ERS4EVA; 01-14-2014 at 02:35 AM.
    The stand your ground law is like bleach. It works miracles for whites but it'll ruin your colors.

I have a feeling Matthews will really help his stock with the senior bowl. Seems like the type of kid to really show up in practices and the game. I'd love to land him in the 2nd but he may be on that 1st/2nd round cusp so it will be tough to get him unless we move up from our 2nd or move down from our first.
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Genus49 View Post
    I have a feeling Matthews will really help his stock with the senior bowl. Seems like the type of kid to really show up in practices and the game. I'd love to land him in the 2nd but he may be on that 1st/2nd round cusp so it will be tough to get him unless we move up from our 2nd or move down from our first.
    Although we're pretty much hoping there's no room in the first to move down, when all is said and done....
    IJWT...

AJ Jenkins
    LaMichael James
    Joe Looney
    Darius Fleming
    Trent Robinson
    Jason Slowey
    Cam Johnson

Yikes.

Bad draft, no two ways about it, but most of the players on the list were taken after the 4th round so I'm not going to sweat it too much considering they've unearthed some UDA's and late round guys who have contributed instead. Whiffing on the Jenkins pick was the worst part, but with two picks in the first 3 rounds this wasn't going to be a big time draft to begin with. The draft before and after this one more than made up for it imo.

Finally rewatched this game and a few things stood out. Both QB's are big, mobile players but when it comes to running, one guy seems to get down much, much more than the other - who wants to take on big hits. I think this played a factor later on in the game....it's an issue that Carolina must straighten out, because I don't care how big Newton is, the wear and tear will become an issue sooner or later. Boldin had himself a day, but a lot of that was the attention that Vernon Davis attracted. It looked like the Panthers picked #85 as the guy they wanted to lock down, and Boldin made them pay. A big bounce back from Ahmad Brooks. He routinely collapsed the pocket. The rest of the big guns on D were their usual stellar self.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213