Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAs....

Well if you read today's PPG article about Art Rooney II address to media questions yesterday, then all of you would realize everything is just peaches and cream. The only thing he wasn't upbeat about is he doesn't have his three thousand new stadium seats for the upcoming season. Other than that, kudos to Colbert, Tomlin and company and the fine play over the second half of the season against a group of teams that are average at best. I didn't get a sense of urgency regarding our 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Sunshine and roses baby!

I like that he said "As far as I'm concerned we should be in the playoffs" and "We told the League we'd appeal if we get any more penalties for the blunder in Baltimore". At least the Steelers are standing up to God dell. Makes me pretty sure our draft picks won't be screwed with. The last thing the NFL will want is to dredge up any more criticism of the terrible officiating right before their big spring draft extravaganza.

God-dell...

:)
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
    Sunshine and roses baby!

I like that he said "As far as I'm concerned we should be in the playoffs" and "We told the League we'd appeal if we get any more penalties for the blunder in Baltimore". At least the Steelers are standing up to God dell. Makes me pretty sure our draft picks won't be screwed with. The last thing the NFL will want is to dredge up any more criticism of the terrible officiating right before their big spring draft extravaganza.
    Yea, I admit his comments regarding the possible forfeiture of a draft pick was a strong message to Goodell and company that the Steelers aren't going to roll over on this one.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the following players having just one year left on their contract, or if I left anyone out:

One year left:
    Heath Miller
    Matt Spaeth
    Marcus Gilbert
    David DeCastro
    Maurkice Pouncey
    Cameron Heyward
    Chris Carter
    Ike Taylor
    Cortez Allen
    Curtis Brown
    Troy Polamalu
    Shaun Suisham

RFA after this season:
    Will Johnson
    Nik Embernate
    David Snow
    Antwon Blake
    Robert Golden

ERFA after this season:
    Derek Moye

Given that the Steelers are going to need to sign at least SOME of the above guys to extensions (and try to sign Worilds long-term), the need to do something soon with the contracts of Woodley, Roethlisberger, Taylor and/or Polamalu becomes that much more pressing. Which of the above players would you sign long-term first?
    "Dying is easy; comedy is hard." - Edmund Kean

I'd imagine they'd want to re-sign Heyward, Allen, and DeCastro.

I would lock up Roethlisberger to as long a cap friendly a deal as I can- say 6 or 7 years. I would then go after Heyward, DeCastro, Pouncey and Allen in that order. I would point to Pouncey's year last year as a reason to get the signing bonus done a year early rather than risk injury.

Doubt they'll give Pouncey a big deal.

might be able to get him now without it being a big deal.

I just seen that the Steelers might be a landing spot for OT Jonathon Martin. This doesn't come off of any inside information or anything. It's just based on the Steelers having a need for that position. It also listed a bunch of other teams a well. I just wanted to post it here and see what everyone thought about the Steelers signing him? I'm assuming with the issues with him that he won't cost a lot and from his side of things you'd think he might want to come to an organization with the respect that the Steelers have had over the years.

I don't see it. the Steelers already have a number of players to plug into the RT spot and don't need the drama. Doesn't feel like there is much upside.

No way should we even look at Martin, he is not the Steelers type, as much as Incongnito is duchebag, Martin doesn't seem to have the toughness or leadership ability and see no reason to bring in the circus that will follow. I think worst thing that could happen to us this year is get him and Hard Knocks, the distraction would be horrendous.

I see us definitely Clark, Hood, Keisel and Woodley gone this year. Clark looked done last season, Hood does not fit this defense, Woodley can't stay healthy and Keisel is at the end of his career. Honestly of the 4 I'd prefer to bring back Keisel for one more year as depth or rotation player if he'll agree to a vet min salary. I feel they need to work out bringing back Worilds who pretty much just saw the lights turn on, when Jones gets stronger in the offseason and gets that better understanding of the defense the lights will turn on for him this year too. I think they will bring Taylor back for one more year. I'd like to see him back in a roll reversal with C. Allen, letting Allen take up the #1 spot which I think he is on the verge of becoming, then bring in some depth and guys to develop at CB. Sorry anyone thinking Gay is starter material as a cover guy just doesn't watch him. All he can do is be an average nickle guy who can support the run, after that there is no starter material on the roster at CB. The Brown experiment is over as far as I am concerned as well.

I am hoping they can bring both Velasco and Wallace to compete for depth, also think Embernate could be a nice addition back healthy this year, These guys could solidify the inside behind DeCastro, Pouncey back and Foster.

I figure we'll lose Sanders and would prefer to see Cotchery resigned as Wheaton given more time should respond well and we can add another WR to the mix in first 3 rounds. We should get a 3rd round pick back along with a 5th for Wallace, K. Lewis.

I am still at the point I want McClendon outside opposite Heyward, thus we need a true NT. Find one and you go a long way to fixing the front 7. Resign Woods and Keisel. Fix the front 7 and the secondary will be better.

As far as RB, I'd like to bring back Dwyer over F. Jones and give Stephens-Howling another shot in camp if resigned cheaply.

For now draft needs should be NT, ILB, CB, WR, S and depth at T, TE, DE
    Last edited by BIG STEEL; 02-01-2014 at 04:49 PM.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12