Advice needed... Small crash in the US

Hi all,

First of all, Im not an American... My dad organized a family vacation for me, my brother and sister and our families, so we are in the US for the Holidays, visiting the theme parks around Orlando, FL (it's been a huge pain because of the crowds, but we've managed to have a nice enough time). We rented a house and a huge van to move us around.

Today when leaving the house, I accidently bumped into a car parked in front of our place (I just didn't see it when backing from our parking place), slightly damaging it. I dont know who's the owner, and we asked around a few houses around us, but nobody knew. We left a paper with contact info on the windshield of the car.

The car hasn't been moved since then, and nobody has called (I guess that the contact info we left was destroyed because of the soaking rain).

What else can we do? Our rental car is insured and should cover any damages, but I don't know what to do if we can't reach the other car's owner.

We have to leave tomorrow morning (we are flying out of Miami on saturday), but we are very worried about this, since we don't know what can happen to us or if we can suffer from any legal problems.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Did you look to see if the State has a website though their DMV to report fender benders ? Otherwise you seemed to have made a reasonable attempt to find the owner of the other car. Not sure of the local state law there but, that may be enough
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

Why not call the local police and inform them of the situation? I would start writing down everything that's happened/everything you've done - then inform the police and file a formal report, leaving your contact information and that of your rental car/company/insurance?
    Gang Way!

Just leave. You did your part and nobody is going to come chasing you. And if you see that paper throw it away.

First of all, don't worry.

Second, it sounds as if you'll be filing a report with the rental company anyway, because of damage to your own vehicle.

Third, you'll have more than fulfilled your obligations if you contact the police department and make them aware of the report you file with the rental company.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

just give all the pertinent information to the rental car company when you turn the car back in. Let them take care of any necessary details. No need for you to be contacting the police or anybody else.

---
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

Don't sweat it. You have done enough.

I have completely abandonded rental cars in other countries....nothing ever happened to me :-).
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Thanks guys,

Our car is undamaged (not even a small scratch), but we will still file a report at the rental company. We managed to locate the other car's owner and gave him the insurance info. Thankfully he was pretty cool and didnt make a big deal out of this situation.