Bears re-up with Jay Cutler for 7 more years - good luck to them

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...s-through-2020

Well -they probably couldn't trade him.

They also re-upped with CB Tim Jennings and OL Matt Slauson.

Any money left for the DL and S positions?
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

I thought the three stooges were making a run in Cleveland, then they show up in Chicago

If the Bears keep resigning their current FA's it isn't gonna improve their team.. ;)
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

Same thing will happen to CHI that happened in ATL and Balt. They will have to let good football players go and hope to drafts good players

I don't think Cutler is the answer, but I can't blame them for not letting him walk either. He's an enigma

Yeah. And ditto with Flacco. I don't understand paying elite QB money to inconsistent QBs and having no money left over to build the rest of the team.

The thing with Cutler is he is the best QB on the market this off-season.

I don't believe in him. He isn't what I call a leader who can lead his team to a SB but he at least has enough talent to win games, but he has poor enough habits to lose games.

The Bears were kinda stuck. They aint picking high enough to take a franchise caliber QB in this years draft, yet there is nothing on the FA market. So without Cutler they'd almost have to let him go, get some scrub or re-sign McCown to a one year deal and then claim a high pick next year and start over next year.

Rough situation to be in.

They almost feel like a stuck team.

I don't know - this is a top QB class - there ought to be someone there when they draft.

Do you realize how fast good QB's go in a down era of QB's? :)

I mean we are talking about Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel going top 15. Those guys had no business going that high.

People grabbing the top QB's up early and reaching on mediocre Rd 2/3 value QB mid first/late 2nd nowadays.

I mean the Bears could get a decent QB in rd 2, but by that time the value on QB will be about that of rd 3, and by that time Jay Cutler is more appealing.

Some of the top QBs of late were slow to be picked - Brees - Foles - Wilson - so yeah the glammour guys will go fast, but value can still be found. The Bears might to have signed up Cutler as a fail safe, but 7 years?

Of course you can find good QB's later on, but that is a gamble to hit on the right ones.

I guess my point is, is a team not picking in the top 10 with the ability to sign an actual decent NFL QB in Jay Cutler going to gamble that they hit on the right QB in the draft?

I mean I don't think Cutler is a championship caliber QB leader, but he at least gets ya to the playoffs with a better D.

Are you ok with that, or do you start over and take a few shots on other QB's before you get it right?

It's really a three year deal and then year to year after that. He's getting $54MM for three years, but then it's year to year.

Yeah so really not a bad deal... I'd almost give Cutler two years if it aint panning out draft a QB early let him sit a year give Cutler that 3rd final year it it doesn't happen release him.

The contract is set up pretty good for the Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Draft Crazy View Post
    Of course you can find good QB's later on, but that is a gamble to hit on the right ones.

I guess my point is, is a team not picking in the top 10 with the ability to sign an actual decent NFL QB in Jay Cutler going to gamble that they hit on the right QB in the draft?

I mean I don't think Cutler is a championship caliber QB leader, but he at least gets ya to the playoffs with a better D.

Are you ok with that, or do you start over and take a few shots on other QB's before you get it right?
    There are guys who can spot and train up QBs and there are idiots - I'd get one of the former.