Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknifer View Post
    I wonder if they've tried Ambien, which has had some miraculous effects on some. A PVS isn't the same as brain dead, but you can't really know unless you try.
    Hard to know what has or has not been done without having case details but yeah, why not try it? Ambien is cheap and it's not like it will do more harm.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Quote Originally Posted by tyke1doe View Post
    Are there any cases of brain dead people coming back to life?
    Jesus in human form was dead. He came back to life and witnessed by many.
    I promise I won't do it again

Hey, we found something that Walsh is willing to spend taxpayer money on at least.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quite honestly the hospital should be the establishment who keeps this little girl on life support, considering they are the ones who botched the procedure and harmed her.

And they shouldn't complain one bit even if it ends up costing them $10 billion dollars, and the taxpayers shouldn't be involved.

Nice to know you support subsidizing life-terminating procedures like abortions, but refuse to support life-prolonging procedures because they cost taxpayer money.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack View Post
    A California judge has apparently extended his restraining order against Children's Hospital Oakland today preventing them from discontinuing "life support" for the girl who has been brain dead since December 12th... what are your thoughts on the parents fighting to have her transferred elsewhere despite the fact that there has never been a brain-dead patient that recovered any functionality? Also note that she does not have any active insurance to cover the current ongoing costs of care since insurance (this PT has MediCal, IIRC) won't cover any care after a patient has been declared brain-dead... meaning the cost of this care comes out of the pocket of other patients and the taxpayer.

Personally, I think the judge should get handed the bill for this care. It is ridiculous that they have to continue this treatment for what is essentially a breathing corpse, and that they have to do so at their own cost. The mother, who is hoping for a miracle, is freakin' delusional.
    What would you do if it was your 13 year old daughter?

PS; despite what the media wants you to believe, it was not a routine tonsillectomy, it was a much riskier procedure called a Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty.
    Do successful Uvulopalatopharyngoplasties put the patients that have had them into brain dead comas on a regular?
    I'm your mama, I'm your daddy
    I'm that nigga in the alley
    I'm your doctor when in need
    Want some coke, have some weed
    You know me, I'm your friend
    Your main boy, thick and thin

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

Ain't I clean, bad machine
    Super cool, super mean
    Dealin' good for the Man,
    Superfly, here I stand
    Secret stash, heavy bread
    Baddest bitches in the bed

I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman
    I'm your pusherman

there is a huge difference between a coma and genuine brain death. A catscan of Terri Schiavo's brain showed that essentially the whole frontal cortex had died and atrophied away, and her head was filled with cerebrospinal fluid rather than brain matter. There was nothing there to revive.

As some have pointed out, there have been some misdiagnoses of brain death in the past, but it happens less and less often as medical technology advances. I can understand a parent not being willing to let go, and I know that I would want to get a third, fourth and fifth opinion in a case like this, but if someone is genuinely brain dead, they are not coming back no matter what you try.

Quote Originally Posted by Predicto View Post
    .... but if someone is genuinely brain dead, they are not coming back no matter what you try.
    That explains the divorce rate, too! Killed two birds with one stone there. Predicto.
    Gang Way!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/06/health...ics/index.html

Good article on the "brain dead" term. The medical community's basic claim is:

1. The diagnosis stresses "irreversible".
    2. They have a checklist of 25 specific criteria that, taken together, don't steer them wrong.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Pfft, science.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234