10 top 10 picks in 13 years (and I think one more @11)

Worst part is I called 7-9 and that Reggie Bush wasn't special from the beginning of the year, and already stepped up and ate crow when it looked like I was definitely wrong. I think the Packers and Bears each won 3 games over the second half of the year and both passed us for the division lead... With injured starting QB's. And missing their best defenders.

Congratulations?

Don't blame the Cowboys, we did our annual part.
    Gang Way!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBones View Post
    Congratulations?
    Didn't mean it like that. Just pointing out that if anyone should be used to their team picking in the top 10 it is us. But for some reason it hurt more this year.

Right there with ya. Bush is all-name no-performance. Sitting here warching SD/Cincy run the daylights out of the ball thinking Bush would have 3 fumbles by now.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

I was feeling like Joque Bell outplayed Bush for much of the year but in reviewing the statistics that doesn't seem to be the case. Bush's rushing yards per carry was significantly better and he only fumbled 1 more time than Bell, which surprised me.

I'm not sure what to say about our second half-season performance. It was a tremendous effort on part of the offense to piss away the season.

Stafford just started looking really bad.
    Calvin dropped enough passes to make me wonder if he's actually got meaningful nerve damage in his hands, and not to be out-done, all the other WR's also helped drop passes.
    Bush & Bell combined for 9 fumbles (that we lost) on the year.

All of this in spite our O-line outperforming all expectations.

The defense, I think, played well enough to get us into the playoffs.

Getting rid of the old coaching staff was the right move. I think they really failed with their approach to Stafford. They seemed to treat him like some sacred pampered Chosen One rather than forging him into a real leader. I hope the next coaching staff can undo all of that. I doubt he'll ever be a 65% completion guy, but he's got the talent to make receivers around him better, and that is something he hasn't done to date.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Bush had about 60 carries more than Bell. Trying to hunt down the total fumbles but he had alot. In addition Bush dropped alot of passes. So maybe that's figuring into our feelings.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

Yah, Bush was #1 for RBs in both fumbles and drops. Bell wasn't too far behind. They had their qualities, but they were also 22nd in ypc. Bush is not a starting RB. He has value to us, if he can hold on to the ball better, but he should be a specialized weapon. Bell or someone new should start and Leshoure(or some sort of power back if you don't like him personally) should get more carries.

Calvin didn't have nerve damage. Well, he may have, but his broken finger that was bent to 90 degrees was the bigger issue. Its why he cost us 2-3 games down the stretch(TB,Balt,Minn)
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

I don't think it is quite fair to say Calvin cost us those games. Rather that he didn't win them for us like he normally might have. Saying he cost us the games implies that we would have won if the ball had been thrown to anyone else, which as we have seen way too many times over the years just isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    I don't think it is quite fair to say Calvin cost us those games. Rather that he didn't win them for us like he normally might have. Saying he cost us the games implies that we would have won if the ball had been thrown to anyone else, which as we have seen way too many times over the years just isn't the case.
    True, its all relative for sure. I never have a negative word for Calvin. His injuries cost us those games is probably a better way to put it, as he surely would have caught the balls in question without those injuries. It also amplifies how bad our surrounding weapons truly were.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Calvin didn't have nerve damage. Well, he may have, but his broken finger that was bent to 90 degrees was the bigger issue. Its why he cost us 2-3 games down the stretch(TB,Balt,Minn)
    Nas, fwiw, here is a link to the story I was trying to remember regarding nerve-damage allegations & Calvin.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ssion_and.html

Basically Calvin stated that he'd been suffering from nerve damage due to a concussion in a Vikings game which made it hard for him to grip the ball. The next day the Lions stated that Calvin didn't have nerve damage and hadn't suffered a concussion during that game.

I actually don't remember hearing anything else about it afterward.

The number of drops by Calvin this year just made me wonder if there was lingering damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    I'd ere on the side of 'he cost us some games' this year.

He certainly won us some games as well, but I recall him dropping passes that were picked off resulting in our loss this year.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cryin Lion View Post
    Nas, fwiw, here is a link to the story I was trying to remember regarding nerve-damage allegations & Calvin.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ssion_and.html

Basically Calvin stated that he'd been suffering from nerve damage due to a concussion in a Vikings game which made it hard for him to grip the ball. The next day the Lions stated that Calvin didn't have nerve damage and hadn't suffered a concussion during that game.

I actually don't remember hearing anything else about it afterward.

The number of drops by Calvin this year just made me wonder if there was lingering damage.
    Gotcha. It may have been that too.