Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Results 526 to 537 of 537

Thread: Black Monday

  1. #526
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    27,909
    Not impressed with the new FO's start...

    They used the transition tag on Alex Mack.

  2. #527
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    54,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Not impressed with the new FO's start...

    They used the transition tag on Alex Mack.
    why not?

    It gives them rights of first refusal and buys them time to work out a LT deal.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  3. #528
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    27,909
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    why not?

    It gives them rights of first refusal and buys them time to work out a LT deal.
    Because they used it on Mack instead of on Ward. They could have franchised Ward for almost $2m less than they transition tagged Mack, and I suspect he'll actually garner more interest on the FA market. Maybe they're closer to having a long-term deal worked out with Ward, or he indicated a willingness to let the Browns make a better offer. If that's the case, and they're able to retain both, then great, that would be ideal, but I won't be happy if they lose Ward.

  4. #529
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    54,328
    It sounds like they're after Byrd, not keeping Ward.

    Which is a good move IMO. Byrd is the better player.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  5. #530
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    27,909
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    It sounds like they're after Byrd, not keeping Ward.

    Which is a good move IMO. Byrd is the better player.
    I'd rather have both. They have more than enough cap room to make it happen.

  6. #531
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35,422
    Yah, but you have to be careful there in terms of roster construction. I don't know if you can lock up 35 mil per year in just your secondary, while still needing a starting CB. So long as they keep Mack and end up with at least one of Ward/Byrd. Losing out on both would be a true disaster.

    Q, not sure if I'd say Byrd is significantly better than Ward. They are different players. Ward is special as a SS type, Byrd is amazing playing centerfield.

    Why they hell did Buffalo not franchise him????
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  7. #532
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35,422
    and how did Oakland not tag Veldeheer or Houston? WIth all that cap space, wtf?

    Lots of weird stuff going on so far. Grimes' deal was fair, for example, but did nobody get the memo about the cap going up 10 million dollars? I'm betting he could have gotten a nice bidding war going. Same for Maclin, ACL or no ACL.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  8. #533
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    27,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Yah, but you have to be careful there in terms of roster construction. I don't know if you can lock up 35 mil per year in just your secondary, while still needing a starting CB. So long as they keep Mack and end up with at least one of Ward/Byrd. Losing out on both would be a true disaster.

    Q, not sure if I'd say Byrd is significantly better than Ward. They are different players. Ward is special as a SS type, Byrd is amazing playing centerfield.

    Why they hell did Buffalo not franchise him????
    Byrd was kinda lose-lose for Buffalo. A bit surprised they didn't try a tag and trade, possibly just transition, so he could test the market, but it didn't seem like there was much chance he'd end up playing in Buffalo in '14.

    If the Browns end up losing Ward, and signing Byrd, I'd be okay with that, but I'd prefer to keep Ward and sign Byrd. I don't see anything wrong with investing heavily into the secondary, provided the talent justifies it, which Haden + Ward + Byrd certainly would.

  9. #534
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    27,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    and how did Oakland not tag Veldeheer or Houston? WIth all that cap space, wtf?

    Lots of weird stuff going on so far. Grimes' deal was fair, for example, but did nobody get the memo about the cap going up 10 million dollars? I'm betting he could have gotten a nice bidding war going. Same for Maclin, ACL or no ACL.
    I don't blame Oakland. Both are good players, but not sure either justifies franchise tag $, especially with Veldheer coming off injury, and while they have a ton of cap space, they also have a ton of holes to fill.

    Maclin wasn't likely to get more than a 1-year deal, so it makes sense for him to stay in Philly, excel in that offense to reestablish his value, then look for a long-term deal next year.

  10. #535
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    35,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Byrd was kinda lose-lose for Buffalo. A bit surprised they didn't try a tag and trade, possibly just transition, so he could test the market, but it didn't seem like there was much chance he'd end up playing in Buffalo in '14.

    If the Browns end up losing Ward, and signing Byrd, I'd be okay with that, but I'd prefer to keep Ward and sign Byrd. I don't see anything wrong with investing heavily into the secondary, provided the talent justifies it, which Haden + Ward + Byrd certainly would.
    Hey, it'd be a sick secondary and you should have a cheap QB for the near future.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  11. #536
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Uniontown, Ohio
    Posts
    17,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    and how did Oakland not tag Veldeheer or Houston? WIth all that cap space, wtf?

    Lots of weird stuff going on so far. Grimes' deal was fair, for example, but did nobody get the memo about the cap going up 10 million dollars? I'm betting he could have gotten a nice bidding war going. Same for Maclin, ACL or no ACL.
    Really? The Raiders are in their own world. Who has had more starting qbs then the Raiders in the last fifteen years? At least twenty different qbs.

    Let's see how many we can name?
    Pythagoras circa 500 B.C...
    "Evolution is the law of Life, Number is the law of the universe, Unity is the law of God."

    Tre-egoist

    The Cowardly Lion (LeBron), the Tin Man (Wade), Scarecrow (Chris Bosh).

    http://twitpic.com/23h8yw

  12. #537
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    30,210
    Tagging Mack means he will get paid among the top 10 offensive linemen, not just centers. It's insane.

    But hey, good news for Philly. Ward played for Chip Kelly at Oregon, I expect them to make a run for the guy.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.