Thread: Beer archeology

Beer archeology

Yes, there's somebody who does that for a living. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...f-beer/355732/ Discussed in http://science.slashdot.org/story/13...eology-of-beer.

Supposedly, 9000-year-old beer recipes have been reverse engineered, and some of the stuff is brewed and available today.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

I remember when Midas Touch came out. They had similar stories, though I remember one detail that is not in this one. I remember the guy from Dogfish Head talking about harvesting a particular ancient yeast. It added authenticity, but it was also remarkable that yeast can just hang out for thousands of years. Apparently, if you open an Egyptian tomb and get some of the musty old air, you can get yeast spores that would have been used in making their beer.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

"You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher