Interview with Champ Bailey

MoreJimmy Doog Doogan16 hours ago near Arvada, CO ∑ ..Broncos CB Champ Bailey after practice today: is he going to retire? Read his comments

On having a full week of practice

ďIt felt good. Iíve actually had a couple of weeks; Iíve just been progressing to this point. But I feel real confident in what I can do out there so Iím ready to go.Ē

On if he feels like heís back to his baseline speed and quickness

ďI always practice hard, so thatís the way I am. I do feel like I do still have my speed and my quicknessóI have to in order to be able to play out there. I feel good about what I can do.Ē

On if he feels heís at a place where he can play to his expectations

ďI feel good about what I can do. I think now itís just being smart about how I go about doing it and making sure I donít have any setbacks and I donít wear myself down or anything like that. The good thing is Iím fresh, Iím ready to go. Iíve had some time off and Iím ready to go.Ē

On how his routine has changed this year in order to take care of his body

ďThe treatments, making sure I get my foot taken care of, hamstringsóeverything. Iím 35, Iím not 25. There are a lot of little things you have to make sure you take care of.Ē

On how hard itís been to watch from the sidelines

ďRegardless of how weíre playing itís hard to watch. But I do what I can to help these guys get prepared every week, thatís what Iíve been doing. I still do the same thing this week, except Iíll be out there. Iím looking forward to getting out there and helping them while Iím on the field.Ē

On how to make sure some guys donít overlook Houston

ďWhen we have you guys telling us what our record is, what the standings are and what they could be and what they canít beóitís hard to overlook it. But we know weíve got to come out here and grind every day and make sure weíre ready to play on Sunday. Thatís all we can take care of; everything else will take care of itself.

On how to defend Texans WR Andre Johnson

ďBring youíre A-Game, first of all. Heís still one of the best in the game. People donít talk about him as much because theyíre not winning right now. But heís one of the best, hands down. He shows up on the tape every week.Ē

On potentially matching up against Johnson

ďIf Iím out there I can do whatever. Whatever they ask me to do, I can do whatever.Ē

On CB Kayvon Webster against San Diego

ďI think he did well. Youíre going to have games like that at corner. People are going to come at you; youíre young. I thought he did pretty well. It wasnít like he was just beat, he was right there. If just a couple of things go his way, itís good plays, then weíre talking good things about him. Right now heís got something else to deal withóhis thumbówe canít wait to have him back.Ē

On what he expects to do on Sunday

ďEverything they ask me to do. Iím not going to give you my game plan or anything, but Iím going to do whatever they ask me to do. Iím prepared to play as many snaps as possible.Ē

On if he and the Broncos have been on the same page with his recovery and rehab

ďAbsolutely. We have and theyíve listened to me, which I appreciate, because itís kind of hard to get them to listen to you sometimes, but around here they do that. Iíve been pretty pleased with how thatís went as far as communication goes, and going forward I feel good about it.Ē

On what he learned from the Kansas City game

ďJust make sure Iím ready [to return]óphysically, mentally, emotionally, everything. Itís just not a physical game, but the mental part is a big part of it. I just have to make sure Iím completely ready.Ē

On if heís regained confidence in his foot

ďYeah. The more time Iíve put in on the field in practice, itís helped me build that confidence back up. Itís just like any other injury, youíve got to feel good about going back those first few days or whatever it is, and I feel good.Ē

On hearing that Redskins LB London Fletcher is likely retiring

ďIíve seen my peers drop off a lot in the last five years. Heís older than me, but he hasnít missed a game. I donít know how he did that, but the game is going to miss one of the great ones. He definitely should be considered as one of the greatest to ever do what he did.Ē

On if heís considering retiring

ďOh no (laughing). Iím thinking about winning on Sunday.Ē

On if this year has made him think about his long-term plans

ďNot really. Not more than normal. I think we all have to think long term, especially financially. Right now Iím just concentrating on getting my foot right and getting back on the field. Thatís really where my head has been.Ē

On if the rest of his body feels fresh

ďMy fingers arenít banged up like they normally are this time of year. My shoulders donít feel as bad. Those are the only things that have gotten a breather. My legs are still my legs. Iím 35, they feel as good as theyíre going to feel right now (laughing).Ē
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

On whether he will make the change to safety after this year:

"You know, like I said, I'm just focused on this year. But after the season I'll probably consult with my friend Greg in Georgia and and advisor Scott in Iowa to see what they recommend."

Will he be able to locate Greg?
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

It wouldnt surprise me to see him retire after this year, especially if we get a ring. Of course, he may want another bite at the apple, but that's really the only reason I see him going out; if we wind up on top.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    It wouldnt surprise me to see him retire after this year, especially if we get a ring. Of course, he may want another bite at the apple, but that's really the only reason I see him going out; if we wind up on top.
    Total guess but I think he comes back for a year weather he gets a ring or not and weather it is with Denver or not.

Not sure he wants to go out on a year he doesn't see much of the field with an injury that doesn't appear to hamper him for next year.

I think this year probably brings up the through of retirement a bit more, but I bet he plays during the 14 season. But I aint betting a car beyond that.

If we don't want him I could amost see a team like the Patriots, Ravens or Jets giving him a year as a reserve guy who could play both CB and S. Much like Charles Woodson has done his last few years in the league.