Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by WIZ View Post
    Well that just about guarantees that it's corrupt and a mess.
    It's pretty well known that your opinion of any system that oversees or regulates is corrupt so you start from a position of severe bias.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    Right. Now it's different. OK.
    A bloated system of kickbacks and payouts takes time to change. It's different at the end of 2013 than it was in 2010. I never said it's fixed, just undergoing change.

Right. Like it changed before that and pharma reps figured out how to grease doctors by labeling them "thought leaders" and letting them do the pharma sales at meetings at nice restaurants.

I'm sure it will continue to change and pharma reps will continue to push their drugs and doctors will continue to be swayed by their goodies. Just in different ways.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

A sales rep's job is to push medication sales, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    This seems like a good place to discuss a news story I just saw on ABC the other day. A cancer patient was on a drug that cost her approximately $106,000 a year, and she was down to her last 30 days of pills because she couldn't afford any more.

The drug companies justify this by saying that it costs billions of dollars to research these cures and treatments.

My question is where is all of the donations going, and why don't we have any free cancer pills from those? The amount of money donated to cancer research in this country has to be in the several billion dollars a year range now right? Do none of those researches pay off at all? Or do they donate all of their work to these drug companies who then claim that several billion dolars were spent on research? Why do we always hear about "researchers at the university of sos and so" recently made a discovery, or recently did this or that. It's never researchers at Glaxo, or Pfizer, or whoever else. Yet all the treatments are made by these companies and all are propriatary and super expensive. Does nobody have the least problem with this aspect of the medical field and am I the only one who thinks there is all sorts of shady hit going on with that?
    Promising cancer research receives no funds. Doesn't take much research to discover this. The Rockefeller foundation generously donated huge sums of money to finance the first medical schools. Of course there were caveats, such as having to have someone help select curriculum. Since doctors weren't paid much and the existing schools small, they took it gladly. The same Rockefellers who used to try to sell Crude Oil as a cure for cancer. Of course they discovered they could manipulate petroleum products into useful chemicals and modern medicine was born.

Some good intentions I'm sure. Also some bad ones. The fact that the most promising cancer treatments get no research money from anyone suggests that there are some bad people at the top of the medical industry working with their counterparts in government closely to ensure profits stay high at the expense of all of us. Including them, ironically.

Cannabis shows incredible potential with near one thousand animal studies indicating it's potential therapeutic value in treatment of cancers, many of which have no treatment at all (and it's also incredibly harmless on its own, unlike conventional therapy).

Dichloroacetic acid showed great promise too in a small study. They were left begging for more money to follow up (University of Alberta) and to this day have a rather sad looking website begging for money. Why would they have to beg? Well, there's no patent available on the chemical to start. And of course, it's a lot more profitable to offer treatments that are likely to give you an even worse version of cancer even if they successfully treat you the first time (while putting you through hell in the process). Big money in that. If you happen to think we're all scum and a lot of us should die, as a lot of folks do, well, that's even better.

The problem is, by doing these things they could end up shooting themselves in the nuts in the process. The lust for power and greed - they turn some of us, especially the sociopaths of the world, into real pieces of crap with little in the way of foresight.
    "There were many ways of not burdening one's conscience, of shunning responsibility, looking away, keeping mum. When the unspeakable truth of the holocaust then became known at the end of the war, all too many of us claimed that they had not known anything about it or even suspected anything."

- Richard Von Weizsaecker

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    It's pretty well known that your opinion of any system that oversees or regulates is corrupt so you start from a position of severe bias.
    Lol if unions and the FDA overseeing speaker fees, meals and transportation fees covers any system then maybe. Clearly you have nothing so you just make a ridiculous blanket statement.

Lol if unions and the FDA overseeing speaker fees, meals and transportation fees covers any system then maybe. Clearly you have nothing so you just make a ridiculous blanket statement.
    Oh delicious irony.

What is clear is that you're position on the FDA is heavily skewed. That's fine. It's incorrect but it's what you believe, so go with it.

Yep and your're right on all accounts in your little head. Now go get in your Prius with an Obama sticker and ride around and save the world. GO MARLEY you rock......

Dunno what the % is stateside, but up here something like 97 cents out of every dollar raised to go to Cancer research goes to... well to fundraising. All those balloons and bracelets and phone calls and fun runs and NFL tie ins don't come cheap.

So I've stopped donating to the Cancer society.

There's usually some hospices etc that will put a much higher % towards actual research.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post
    Dunno what the % is stateside, but up here something like 97 cents out of every dollar raised to go to Cancer research goes to... well to fundraising. All those balloons and bracelets and phone calls and fun runs and NFL tie ins don't come cheap.

There's usually some hospices etc that will put a much higher % towards actual research.
    That kind of thing is a huge program - a very successful charity for cancer research collapsed because of it (as well as the amount of 'overhead' expense). About the most successful annual charity event every year now - Serious Request (3DJ's locked into a glass house for a full week on a juice diet in the week before Christmas, playing songs for money; last year raised some $ 15 million), donations go to an annually changing charity of non-high profile goals - has as one of its conditions that every penny needs to be accounted for, as well as conditions of what amount of money is to be spent on overhead for that very reason.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryHawkFan View Post

I did see not too long ago that out of every $100 spent on NFL pink stuff for their breasts cancer month, $45 goes straight to the NFL, and $3.45 goes to a charity. I think it was the American Cancer Society, but could be wrong. Out of that $3.45 straight off the top 28% goes towards administrative costs and salaries. I think that much again went to fundraising, and then a third huge chunk of the money goes to pamphlets and informative packages about cancer. I know it was less than 20% that ended up going towards actual research.

Yep and your're right on all accounts in your little head. Now go get in your Prius with an Obama sticker and ride around and save the world. GO MARLEY you rock......
    Way to support your claims about the FDA.

You really are the queen of the last word. I gave my opinion on the topic and really have no desire to type my "claims" about the FDA. If you think it's a fantastic government administration and belongs linked together so be it. I'm nt going to try and change your mind.

Your opinion was a drive by with nothing to back it up. You feel the FDA is a worthless organization that is fatally flawed? That's fine but why?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123