Bears are dead last in sacks!

Not blaming this on Peppers, but his 6.5 sacks are not helping at his price tag.

His salary has to be used to better this defense in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUmtj112 View Post
    Not blaming this on Peppers, but his 6.5 sacks are not helping at his price tag.

His salary has to be used to better this defense in the off-season.
    Granted his supporting staff has fallen off however I don't think you'll find a single member on this board that would disagree with you.

As hard as it may be cutting Peppers and probably cutting Bush / Bennett will be our first three moves this offseason.
    The two-wheeled scourge of the streets

I mean, when we signed him to that long term deal back in 2010....this hasn't come as a surprise to anyone, IMO. I think anyone would agree that Peppers' days are numbered in a Bears uniform. We got 3 productive seasons out of him, which is a lot more than a lot of us anticipated. He's now on the wrong side of 30 and is seemingly always battling some type of foot injury that slows him down.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

IIRC Tucker employs the same "sacks are overrated" defense as Greg Blache.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
    IIRC Tucker employs the same "sacks are overrated" defense as Greg Blache.
    Too bad he doesn't employ the DTs Greg Blache had.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Too bad he doesn't employ the DTs Greg Blache had.
    That's on Emery. I have a feeling, and I've detailed this in another thread, that the 2014 offseason marks year #1 of the rebuilding effort on defense.

I didn't comment on Peppers in my previous post. It's a real "chicken or the egg" argument. Is he ineffective because there's nobody on the DL that requires more than a half man blocking or is it because he's old and losing his effectiveness? I don't know the answer to that question but I can't argue that Peppers' $18M would be better spent elsewhere. The unfortunate part is that we won't recoup the entire $18M to reinvest in our defense so it may be better to keep him on the roster. Honestly, he's the least of the Bears concerns defensively.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I kind of feel the same as Coach here we only recoup about half his salary next season unless there is a bunch of guys we are able to get from the open market that his salary will help get I think he will be back.

To make this move worthwhile I think we would have to land atleast two good vets for the 9 mil that we would save.
    Next thing you know they will take my thoughts away

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie77 View Post
    I kind of feel the same as Coach here we only recoup about half his salary next season unless there is a bunch of guys we are able to get from the open market that his salary will help get I think he will be back.

To make this move worthwhile I think we would have to land atleast two good vets for the 9 mil that we would save.
    To me it is worth it.

Say you cut him and save 9 million, use half of that on his replacement, that still buys another good player at 4-5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
    That's on Emery. I have a feeling, and I've detailed this in another thread, that the 2014 offseason marks year #1 of the rebuilding effort on defense.

I didn't comment on Peppers in my previous post. It's a real "chicken or the egg" argument. Is he ineffective because there's nobody on the DL that requires more than a half man blocking or is it because he's old and losing his effectiveness? I don't know the answer to that question but I can't argue that Peppers' $18M would be better spent elsewhere. The unfortunate part is that we won't recoup the entire $18M to reinvest in our defense so it may be better to keep him on the roster. Honestly, he's the least of the Bears concerns defensively.
    I haven't looked, but I am willing to guess that our pressure stats are equally as disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUmtj112 View Post
    To me it is worth it.

Say you cut him and save 9 million, use half of that on his replacement, that still buys another good player at 4-5 million.
    I tend to agree. Unless he takes some unheard of hometown discount restructure, I have a hard time seeing them keeping Pep around.

We also have to consider the fact that we probably need two starting DEs -- unless the Rodgers injury saved McNugget for a year :)

Along w/ other Angelo hacks such as Paea, Conte, etc . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
    Granted his supporting staff has fallen off however I don't think you'll find a single member on this board that would disagree with you.

As hard as it may be cutting Peppers and probably cutting Bush / Bennett will be our first three moves this offseason.
    Darkness can only be lit, not fought.

Quote Originally Posted by Aube View Post
    Along w/ other Angelo hacks such as Paea, Conte, etc . . .
    Is Paea still on his rookie contract???

I have no problems cutting guys if we sign definite upgrades however having cheap players who know the system are good to have at least for depth. You may not want them to start but it wouldn't hurt to have them coming in off the bench.

The three guys I mentioned are all being overpaid at this point vs their value to the team...so cutting them to free up cap space is pretty much a no-brainer.
    The two-wheeled scourge of the streets