View Poll Results: Do you start Cutler if he is healthy?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would start Cutler....if healthy

8 66.67%
  • No. McCown's got the hot hand.

4 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysledge View Post
    Personally, I've seen enough of Cutler to know I'm not interested in bringing him back at the salary he'll demand next year.
    However, in the NFL they guy getting paid the most dough gets first crack at the position.
    I say we give Jay as much rope as he needs and let's see if he hangs himself with it.
    Even though we're still in the playoff hunt?
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

After you talk about the hole in her nipple, where do you go with it? You’ve got nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    Even though we're still in the playoff hunt?
    It's not like this would be the first time Cutler (through injury or poor play) has screwed us out of the playoffs.
    He either gets in there and lights things up (ie - performs better than McCown) or he can start looking for somewhere else to play next season.
    I'm done waiting on 'the promise' of Jay Cutlers talent.

Go Bears!

J
    Never bet on a Bears coaching decision.

Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    If I'm Trestman, Cutler starts if he's healthy.

Cleveland's D doesn't influence that decision. It does influence what I mean by "healthy". Against Dallas, that might've meant "looks pretty good". Against Cleveland, it means "completely healed and in no groin-or-ankle-related danger of further injury".
    Why is the bar different? Fear of re-injury? Thinking that Cutler is better, but we didn't need him against Dallas? Not sure I am correctly deriving your logic here.

Quote Originally Posted by brantcruz50 View Post
    Why is the bar different? Fear of re-injury? Thinking that Cutler is better, but we didn't need him against Dallas? Not sure I am correctly deriving your logic here.
    Mostly because I see a lot of benefit in sticking by your starters until they've played themselves out of that role, and I don't think Cutler's done so. I love what McCown's done this year, and I prefer his approach to Cutler's. But if Cutler's been paying attention (and why wouldn't he? McCown's his second-best friend on the team), and if he's able to apply some of the things McCown's shown, he's a better QB by a far sight.

Bottom line, when I bring Cutler back, I don't want to yank him in the same game. I want to name him my starter and look only forward. I get that he'll have some rust to shake off, and I get that his ankle won't be absolutely 100%.

Cutler's a bigger injury risk than McCown, he's playing more poorly this year than McCown, and he's a much higher-beta QB (more turnovers, more big plays). Also a better runner. That much I know. What I don't know is how quickly Cutler will warm back up to real live football, and how he'll compensate for an ankle that'll still be letting him know throughout the game that he's not totally healthy.

The stakes are different this week than last. Heading into last week, Detroit was in firmer control of the division than they are now, and we had an uncertain game coming up against a team that looks like a more consistent version of ours (horrible D, explosive O). In that situation, if Cutler had been cleared and was looking good in practice, I'd have seen some advantage to my team in going with a gunslinger to match Dallas'. If he's able to grit through the game, I consider it. And yeah, this all sounds a bit silly after watching McCown account for five TDs. None of us saw that coming, though.

This week, we've picked up a game on Detroit and still need to win out. Cleveland's offense has come around a bit, and its defense is awfully solid. I need to know what I can count on from my QB in this game. I've got a pretty good feeling about what I can expect from McCown, and if we've been prepping right, I have good sense about Cutler, too. The wildcards come down to what Cutler's learned while rehabbing (there's only upside here), and any lingering effects from his injury (there's only downside here). There's no question in my mind of letting Cutler tough it out against Cleveland. I'd much rather call a game knowing what McCown's going to give me than wondering if my QB's running on one foot or two.

If we and Detroit both win this week, and nothing else changes, I'll be back to my Dallas-week thoughts: if Cutler's healthy enough to play against Philly, I probably start him.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

After you talk about the hole in her nipple, where do you go with it? You’ve got nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12