Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 121 to 129 of 129
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,986
    What can I do to accelerate Global Warming?
    If you fart, burp, exhale cigarette smoke and start your car at the same time, Al Gore's head will explode. I'm pretty sure that's true btw.
    As defined by the Official Terrorism Training For Law Enforcement:
    What Is Domestic Terrorism?
    Extreme force and violence perpetrated by
    the people government of a country, within that country,
    for the purpose of coercing its government and population public
    into modifying its behavior"

    You are either with Our Constitution or you are with The Terrorists!

    Government...if it leans to the left it eventually means theft. - tlc

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Richfield, MN
    Posts
    19,288
    Back to the OT, if you thought it was really cold this week, you weren't alone:

    http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/1...his-past-week/
    Over 2000 cold and snow records set in the USA this past week
    Compare to 98 high temperature records, and 141 high minimum temperature records

    Quite an imbalance in weather records this week. Even the AGU fall meeting in San Francisco where the best and brightest global warming scientists were meeting was surrounded by record (such as 25F in San Jose Dec 9th) and near record setting low temperatures, though the irony was lost on many of them.

    Low Temp: 606 + Low Max temp 1234 + Snowfall 385 = 2225

    In other cold and snowy news, the Egyptian capital of Cairo sees snowfall for the first time in 112 YEARS
    source: NOAA

    In addition to Cairo, a "historic" snowfall in Jerusalem: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...6#.UqsRio1iE9U
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    29,890
    Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    We're all scientists.
    A lot of people had it "learned" out of them.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,780
    Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    Yet there's a book containing the entire account of how earth was created, how long it took, and when the first human came into existence. Provided to mankind by the Creator of earth and mankind.
    Which may be entirely fiction. Unless you believe that all mankind sprung from Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel. One woman, three men and the populating of earth. And what about those pesky dinosaurs? Was it like The Flintstones or Land of the Lost?
    Last edited by Marley; 12-13-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Which may be entirely fiction. Unless you believe that all mankind sprung from Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel. One woman, three men and the populating of earth. And what about those pesky dinosaurs? Was it like The Flintstones or Land of the Lost?
    This is the standard approach.

    You don't want to talk about the fact that you have no good reason to even argue with me about anything, because your faith-based belief system's ultimate conclusion is that you nor anyone else alive can ever truly know anything.

    You have no explanation for the existence of the laws of logic.

    You have no explanation for why there is uniformity of nature.

    You have no explanation for why your senses are reliable.

    Therefore, your worldview suggests that it is impossible for you to ever know anything, and here you are on a message board attempting to ridicule the Bible by using your mind (an immaterial human concept), logic (bad logic, but still, another immaterial human concept), and pretending that your argument is actually valid despite the fact that you have no good reason to believe it's anything but random-chance synapses firing in your brain directing you to type your posts on NST.

    What's more absurd- someone who has no good reason to even trust their senses, no explanation for the existence of invisible things like the mind or logic attempting to argue on an internet message board, or the notion that one man and one woman (there were daughters of Adam in the Bible, you lame Bible scholar) were the first two created on earth and all humanity is descended from their genes?

    Like someone who has been exposed for what he truly is, you seek to focus attention everywhere but within yourself.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

    Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

    Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

  6. #126
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    16,780
    So you're not denying the incest then, right?
    Occupying the handicap bathroom stall

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    So you're not denying the incest then, right?
    Let me get this straight- you are attempting to criticize 2 human beings interbreeding at the start of human existence, but you think a male human and a female human "evolved" from the same non-human parent at the same time and then interbred?
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

    Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

    Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Oak Cliff
    Posts
    21,465
    Quote Originally Posted by ThankGod4Walsh View Post
    Which is a logical fallacy. Which means you are being irrational in believing something because a certain group of people believe it.


    http://stevencwatts.newsvine.com/_ne...t-by-consensus
    Holy ****, you trot these logical fallacies out all the time and it turns out you don't even understand them. I shouldn't be surprised.

    You are wrong on two counts. First, as the very article you posted prefaces: "A logical fallacy does not necessarily render the point invalid, but it means you need to rethink how you're making your point." Just because someone uses a logical fallacy does not mean they are wrong, which means that pointing out someone's logical fallacy does not really advance any point. Second, the point that the majority of climate scientists believe in AGM is not an appeal to majority; it is an appeal to authority. An appeal to authority is valid in inductive reasoning, but not deductive reasoning. Thus, it is perfectly valid in an argument of this sort. All of us non-experts (yes, that includes you) are assessing the probability of an argument being true and the fact that the vast majority of experts support that argument is a very strong indicator that it is true. Not certain, but strong.
    "And if there is nothing that can so hide the face of our fellow-man as morality can, religion can hide from us as nothing else can the face of God." -- Martin Buber

    "You do not like religion; we started from that assumption. But in conducting an honest battle against it, which is not completely without effort, you do not want to have fought against a shadow like the one with which we have struggled." -- Friedrich Schleiermacher

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pink Monkey View Post
    Holy ****, you trot these logical fallacies out all the time and it turns out you don't even understand them. I shouldn't be surprised.
    Argument by assertion is also.......... a logical fallacy.

    Are you trying to make a joke of yourself?

    You are wrong on two counts. First, as the very article you posted prefaces: "A logical fallacy does not necessarily render the point invalid, but it means you need to rethink how you're making your point." Just because someone uses a logical fallacy does not mean they are wrong, which means that pointing out someone's logical fallacy does not really advance any point.
    It means they don't know how to argue. A fallacious argument is a worthless argument.

    Second, the point that the majority of climate scientists believe in AGM is not an appeal to majority; it is an appeal to authority. An appeal to authority is valid in inductive reasoning, but not deductive reasoning. Thus, it is perfectly valid in an argument of this sort. All of us non-experts (yes, that includes you) are assessing the probability of an argument being true and the fact that the vast majority of experts support that argument is a very strong indicator that it is true. Not certain, but strong.
    It's not the "vast majority" of experts, if you cared to read what I posted on the OTHER thread where this topic came up. Everyone has an ultimate appeal in an argument, you can't make an argument and keep it internal, otherwise it's just subjective to begin with.

    You can make your external authority a bunch of guys with a political agenda who have been caught red-handed in emails and message forums deliberately stating that they want to paint a picture so people will believe it, or you can use your brain and think it through for yourself.

    Plenty of brilliant scientists think the whole global warming thing is nothing but a political hot potato. You should read what they have to say, and not find the biggest cluster of groupthink and plant your flag there.

    For a guy who thinks he's so outside the box when it comes to reading the Bible to us, you sure do have some vanilla ideas on science.

    And when it comes down to it, nobody needs experts to interpret raw data for them. The unadjusted raw data was available for years, and has now been doctored by groups like BEST and IPCC. If you look at continuously reporting thermometers over the past 30 years, there is no noticeable warming.

    Don't need to be a scientist to figure that out.
    Last edited by ThankGod4Walsh; 12-14-2013 at 04:00 AM.
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

    Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

    Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.