Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    If we can log onto the governments Affordable Care Act website..... anything is possible.

Legislation will be the biggest time inhibitor.
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Or you just run out to a store.

BTW, your landing pad won't work in rain, snow, wind, etc. Weather is kind of unpredictable, too.
    Assuming your local store carries exactly what you need. Amazon's warehouses carry pretty much everything on the planet. Again, this service is not intended to replace all deliveries. Just those times when you want/need something right now.

And yes, weather will be a limitation. It won't be a reason to not launch this service though. It will be an occasional or intermittent inconvenience.

I probably spend more at Amazon than anyone, I have a huge "subscribe and save" monthly order - all my regular household consumables. I wouldn't use this for having paper towels delivered, but there have been plenty of times when I would have paid a solid fee for having something delivered, right now.

I could also envision the customer service victories that using this to replace a broken/defective/missing item problem would generate. "Oh, I'm sorry Mr KickSave that the Harmony Remote you ordered showed up broken. We'll have a new one delivered to you in the next 30 minutes".

FTW!
    "What's so funny about peace , love and understanding?" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    If you're fixing a PC and you need a $500 SSD hard disk and you need it now, you'll pay the extra $40 for 1/2 hour delivery.
    Amazon has fulfillment centers in 14 states. They're mostly near regional airports and transit routes, away from where people live, because the land is cheaper (e.g. in California they have four of 'em: one in San Bernadino, one in Patterson City, one in Stockton, and one in Tracy).

How big is the market for people who need $500 items delivered to their house within an hour, are willing to pay $40 for the delivery, and live within about 10 miles or less from a fulfillment center? I'm guessing it's incredibly small; small beyond even being worth talking about for a company that's eeking out profits on volume like Amazon. And back to the same question: if you're gonna actually do this why mess around with the drone thing at all instead of just sending some intern into town on a scooter for a fraction of the cost and time?

Okay, really this time, I'll stop being such a prig and drop it. :)
    Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.

Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    I could also envision the customer service victories that using this to replace a broken/defective/missing item problem would generate. "Oh, I'm sorry Mr KickSave that the Harmony Remote you ordered showed up broken. We'll have a new one delivered to you in the next 30 minutes".
    :)

Okay, no BS, I could actually see Bezos devouring the shreds that are left of his profit margin on a zany thing like this. Not even kidding. ;)

(people said there was no way that he'd be taking multiple dollar losses on each Kindle book he sold for this long, and the crazy bugger even brought a lawsuit to the DOJ to ensure that he could KEEP doing it, which he is. He controlled over 90% of the ebook market and was STILL taking multiple dollar losses on each sale. So yeah, definitely somewhat unpredictable ;) ).

Quote Originally Posted by PopeyeJones View Post
    ????

Yeah, that's in 1995.

Bezos founded Amazon in '94 with an initial investment from his parents (his mom's family had been wealthy for generations, his adoptive father was an engineer, his grandpa director of the atomic energy commission). It's not really a "bootstraps" or "self made man" story at all, particularly when you consider that he came up with the idea for Amazon on the dime of D.E. Shaw, and when Shaw decided to head in a different direction (a free email service was the competing internal proposal at the firm, which he went with) he was nice enough to let Bezos take the idea with him for free and try to get it started, despite the fact that it was D.E. Shaw's intellectual property and Bezos was being paid as an employee to come up with it.

Worth the read if you're interested in Bezos, although it is admittedly, all things being equal, a very friendly account ;) : http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780316239905
    I really don't care about Bezos - I don't think he's all that interesting. But your line of reasoning is a bit suspect, as most small businesses get funding from somewhere. He got it from his parents instead of the bank, big whoop. His parents didn't do the work for him.
    If the majority distributes among itself the things of a minority, it is evident that it will destroy the city. --Aristotle
    If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves. - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Lombardi View Post
    I really don't care about Bezos - I don't think he's all that interesting. But your line of reasoning is a bit suspect, as most small businesses get funding from somewhere. He got it from his parents instead of the bank, big whoop. His parents didn't do the work for him.
    Oh, yeah. The part of my text you were referencing was in response to him being "self made."

His folks helping him out and David Shaw letting him leave the firm and take the idea with him are only in reference to that. It's not a mark against him or anything. Like everyone everywhere he got help along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by PopeyeJones View Post
    Oh, yeah. The part of my text you were referencing was in response to him being "self made."

His folks helping him out and David Shaw letting him leave the firm and take the idea with him are only in reference to that. It's not a mark against him or anything. Like everyone everywhere he got help along the way.
    All right all right... self made was the wrong description for the dude:) But he did start Amazon out his his garage and grew it into an absolute giant. Yeah he didn't start out in poverty, but it was his leadership that took Amazon from his garage to a $61 BILLION company with a market cap of $177B. And the idea to sell books on the internet was hardly a stolen idea, or something someone else "allowed" him to do. Its the reason why he left Shaw, the idea was not patented or anything like that.

So I ordered a bunch of USB chargers and cables for my Android and the Fiance's iPhone/iPad early this morning. I had the option to pay $3.99 and have it delivered today, or free Prime Shipping with Sunday delivery. Out of curiosity, I chose today for half the order and Sunday for the other half. Placed the orders at 9 AM. Its all on a truck out for delivery right now, both orders.

I pretty much never have to leave the house, so I will be looking like ChuckESleeze's avatar pretty soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234