Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Nit-picking"

Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    I wouldnt worry about it too much. People have been trying to defend Nate Allen for FOUR years and he still isnt a "good" starter. He might be average at this point but thats about it. He still misses tackles, he still takes bad angles, he still gives up plenty of TDs, he still isnt a vocal leader & he still doesnt make many plays.

He had his first INT since January 1 2012 (a span of 26 games) and now he isnt average or worse anymore? lol.

People should want more from their Safeties. Its a pretty important position. If we do re-sign him... I for one,wont be happy.

Oh and I always love the Brian Dawkins thing. No...no one wants him to be Brian Dawkins or expects him to be...because its obvious he cant be. Anyone who wanted that, Id consider them looney tunes. Now, do we want someone just as good or close to as good as Brian Dawkins? Yeah, well at least we should.
    And just today there was an article at Birds 24/7 that pointed out that (a) Allen played in a system - especially last year - which set him up to failure. He was posted deep, primary responsibility was run gap plugging (by design!!!) because of the idiotic wide-9 allignment from 15 yards away, made worse that no-one in the front 7 could tackle last year, but he was also not allowed to let any receiver get over the top. And (b) of course you blame him, even though he had to play with the cheerleading squad at CB...
    The system he had to play in would have made Dawkins, Reed, evey single game you can name as an absolute dismal chum...
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Quote Originally Posted by swat View Post
    I wouldnt worry about it too much. People have been trying to defend Nate Allen for FOUR years and he still isnt a "good" starter. He might be average at this point but thats about it. He still misses tackles, he still takes bad angles, he still gives up plenty of TDs, he still isnt a vocal leader & he still doesnt make many plays.

He had his first INT since January 1 2012 (a span of 26 games) and now he isnt average or worse anymore? lol.

People should want more from their Safeties. Its a pretty important position. If we do re-sign him... I for one,wont be happy.

Oh and I always love the Brian Dawkins thing. No...no one wants him to be Brian Dawkins or expects him to be...because its obvious he cant be. Anyone who wanted that, Id consider them looney tunes. Now, do we want someone just as good or close to as good as Brian Dawkins? Yeah, well at least we should.
    Just picking these two:

- The ones that has struck most is that he does NOT take so many bad angles anymore, in fact takes very few (and no more than any of the others). It is one of the things that strucl people. Something notable on a few big play saving tackles (in Fitzgerald e.g. in the last game on something like an out/wheel route), or the one where he ran down the Oakland WR to prevent a TD. These were plays he would have messed up due to bad angles before, but I cannot remember many if any of them for weeks...

- Although he might not be vocal to the media, I came across a few comments by some (might be Fletcher or even Ryans) that suggested he is the one QB-ing/setting up and the secondary (setting up coverage responsibility) much like Ryans is doing for the front-seven. And in general that has been quite decent (you could argue too far off); I cannot remember too few fully blown coverages. Probably that is all the flapping Allen is doing pre-snap that IncerdibleDawk dislikes him so much for. For instance, it seemed that Allen did recognize pre-snap the play on the Dray TD last weekend (he himself was picked of due to OPI) and pointing it out to his fellows.

And frankly I prefere a non big-hitter who makes sure tackles (like he seems to be doing now), over someone who makes the occasional big hit, but much of the time either misses, takes the wrong angle or knocks off/out his own player (like Chung).
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

I wanted Swearinger to replace Allen, but Swearinger was out of control and late to the play repeatedly last night. Two different styles. Allen's is working better for his team. He's hardly a huge liability anymore. He's plenty serviceable. So he took some time to learn this league after playing in the little Big east and was terrible at first. OMG shoot him for it! Hate to break it to some of you but the past is over and always will be. What does he bring moving forward? He's way better than Chung and those type of available safeties.
    Last edited by eaglesnut; 12-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234