Thread: The Defense

The Defense

Is anyone here confident about any one particular unit of the defense for the future? What I mean is are we set on the DL? at LB? at CB? what about at Safety? for the say the next 3 years or so? The way I see it pretty much the entire defense needs to be overhauled and if we're ever going to switch to the 4-3 it should now before we start drafting for the next wave of young defenders. That not withstanding other then Cameron Heyward we're hurting at DL. We have no guarantee starter at NT and Ziggy Hood only ever shows flashes that he can play.

LB is probably our strongest position defensively going forward and that's only because we have Timmons and just drafted Jarvis Jones. Worilds has looked good taking over for Woodley, but we have no way of getting rid of Woodley which means we can't resign Worilds and the other ILB spot opposite Timmons is up for grabs and mot likely the starter isn't even on the team yet.

The CB position is in so bad of shape we may need to find 2 starting CBs with how Ike has gone downhill and Cortez Allen just hasn't progressed enough to be deemed next years #1 or #2 CB and we have no one else of the team even vying for a future starting spot.

Then we have the safety position where Ryan Clark must have been kidnapped and replaced with an imposter before the season and for as good as Polamalu has looked versus how he's looked the previous few seasons you can just tell his career is winding down. Is Shamarko Thomas the future? Well he better be with all the other positions we have to replace, but even if he is we still need another safety as well.

We are in deep poop defensively going forward. I just don't see how this ends up badly for a few seasons a least. So I ask is the time now for Dick LeBeau to step down? I mean after the season of course. Also is it time to change to the 4-3? What is the plan going forward for this old defense? Would anyone trade for Woodley? Ike Taylor? Would you resign Worilds if Woodley was traded? What is he #1 need we have on defense? Personally I've thought for a long time it as been NT, but I'm beginning to think getting a #1 CB might be more important in this new pass happy NFL. What do we do with Ziggy Hood? What about at the ILB position opposite Timmons? Tell me your plan going into the offseason and into next year for the defense.

NT....get a f'n NT....
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

Oldest unit in the league and it's a slow rebuild. Like you said - LB seems pretty solid With Timmons, Jones, Woodley/Worilds and the rookie coming on. No depth behind those guys though if one of the "W"s leaves in the offseason.

The secondary needs a LOT of work. CLark gone - doesn't seem like Golden is the answer at FS since he is rarely on the field and Will Allen certainly isn't a longterm solution. Troy probably out in another year but the Sharknado looks good. I haven't given up on Cortez Allen yet. He's had two years - one has looked good and the other has been so-so. I still think he's gonna be a solid CB. Ike definitely showing his age this year. Gay has looked pretty decent in his return but absolutely no depth there. The drafting of Hawthorne was another Tomlin/Colbert whiff.

Dline should be interesting in the offseason. Heyward obviously a keeper. The Diesel has reached the end of the road so he's gone. Woods looks like a solid rotation guy. What to do about Ziggy? Yep, need a solid NT - Big Mac probably more of a DE after all.

Lots of holes to fill. We should be stockpiling draft picks instead of letting them slip thru our fingers.

Well like you said, Clark's done and Polamalu would be if we could afford to lose both at the same time not to mention Taylor. Our defensive line excluding Heyward could all leave and I wouldn't notice.

I like Cortez Allen. Shamarko has a chance to be decent. That's about it for the young guys.

I would agree that the defense needs massive work AND there is not much (as far as younger players) to feel confident about.
    It's quite apparent to me that besides being a rookie, Jarvis Jones has what could be considered "pencil arms" for an NFL LB.
    He needs to show up next year in NFL shape, and it hopefully will make a difference.
    He has gathered a good amount of playing time this year, which should help him experience wise.

I believe Troy might have another year or two IF he has a decent supporting cast.
    He does not at this time, and it will be tough to supply that next year.

At least Keisel and Clark will be gone next year, so they have no choice but to bring in some new blood. I have no problem creating some dead money if Taylor and/or Woodley are released or traded.

I believe it needs to be a top heavy draft on the defensive side next April.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

I'm more than OK with it being a real heavy D Draft for us...

Jones has to get his weight up and put on the muscle....
    keep Worilds, he's shown that he can do the job...keep him.

draft another S early IMO....

NT....no brainer that we need another GOOD/GREAT NT.

the middle of the D has to be settled...
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

Wasn't wild about taking Jones but I'm willing to allow him to develop (big of me I know). Everyone knew his upper body strength wasn't ready for the NFL and you can't keep rushing like Gildon, every LT in the league knows Jones is going through Ohio to get to the QB. Have no idea how they're going to re-sign Worilds, not sure how or what the rules are regarding signing him now and renegotiating Ben's contract to make the room. Doubt he sticks around once free agency starts and I'm sure his agent knows that so we'll have to over pay again based on four games of solid work. If he leaves we will have a position of need at every defensive position. 1 DE, 1 NT, 1OLB, 1 ILB (unless you think Williams is the answer), 1 CB, 1 S. Let's not forget 1 LT, a decent sized receiver and TE. Some are more critical than others, we can get by at TE if Miller stays healthy and I'd rather go defense than receiver, we have so many holes they remind me of Sponge Bob Square Pants.

I guess we can get by at safety with Thomas and Polamalu for another year, If Cortez turns it around we might not be that desperate at CB although the loss of Lewis really hurts. The way I look at it is the DL really needs addressing and ILB, if Worilds leaves Add OLB. The good news is we can follow the Best Player Available route (other than QB and RB) during the entire draft and fill a need at the same time. If they can't nail this draft by adding players who can contribute immediately, they never will.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
    Wasn't wild about taking Jones but I'm willing to allow him to develop (big of me I know). Everyone knew his upper body strength wasn't ready for the NFL and you can't keep rushing like Gildon, every LT in the league knows Jones is going through Ohio to get to the QB. Have no idea how they're going to re-sign Worilds, not sure how or what the rules are regarding signing him now and renegotiating Ben's contract to make the room. Doubt he sticks around once free agency starts and I'm sure his agent knows that so we'll have to over pay again based on four games of solid work. If he leaves we will have a position of need at every defensive position. 1 DE, 1 NT, 1OLB, 1 ILB (unless you think Williams is the answer), 1 CB, 1 S. Let's not forget 1 LT, a decent sized receiver and TE. Some are more critical than others, we can get by at TE if Miller stays healthy and I'd rather go defense than receiver, we have so many holes they remind me of Sponge Bob Square Pants.

I guess we can get by at safety with Thomas and Polamalu for another year, If Cortez turns it around we might not be that desperate at CB although the loss of Lewis really hurts. The way I look at it is the DL really needs addressing and ILB, if Worilds leaves Add OLB. The good news is we can follow the Best Player Available route (other than QB and RB) during the entire draft and fill a need at the same time. If they can't nail this draft by adding players who can contribute immediately, they never will.
    Very good job summing it up. You did a better job of doing what I started this thread to do.

Well maybe I summed it up but didn't answer your questions because I don't have the answers considering we don't have allot of cash to sign anyone through free agency and there's only one draft. This team is so far from close to complete that it's going to take some youngsters already on the team like C. Allen, Shamarko, J. Jones, Al Woods, the re-signing of Worilds and the young OL to put in allot of work over the off season, the draft can help but even two successful drafts will not stop the bleeding if two thirds of the above mentioned players don't take a big step forward.