Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    No one knows the whole story here and the way the whole thing has been handled sure seems unfair.
    If you're not mad as hell you're not paying attention.

Here is a solid breakdown of what's been going on...

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2417811/S...d-indefinitely

Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    I'm sure the nfl has some really good lawyers and put considerable thought to how they word this stuff in documents like the cba and player contracts. I have to think one or both of those items contains binding language that requires players to comply with drug program requirements even if the player is on a roster at the time and not submitted retirement paperwork, or something similar.
    The issue for the NFL is their Anti-trust exemptions that there have been more and more rumblings about in recent years. Sure, they can hire an Army of Lawyers to defeat any effort to upset their apple cart but in a Jury trail the league may very well end up looking like bullies, especially after some of the League's recent legal wrangles like the injury settlement. On top of this is the perception of Goodell's disciplinary powers. Add all of the above to the recent rumblings about lifting the Blackout rules by the Congress and Senate, rules established by their anti-trust exemption. Lose those and you lose the draft and so many other key elements of the League's revenue stream. Think about this, without that they could face the DOJ over their broadcast network, I wonder how that would hit the bottom line?

Like I said, put this in front of a Jury and you'd have a real hard time portraying that smarmy SOB as anything other than a dictator abusing his powers. Had they offered a 4 game suspension as their rules called for this is a non-issue. Instead, the settlement offered was twice the defined punishment under stage two. You damn skippy any Agent or Lawyer is going to go for outright dismissal for starters until they get a meet in the middle offer of 4 games, once the appeal lasts longer than the stage two punishment you're going to ask for time served and recompense for anything over the Stage 2 punishment. i.e., the appeal has him out of the game all offseason and into next October. If so, that's 6-8 games. At that point you're looking for a minimum of 2 game checks as well as compensation for the negative effect on future earnings being labeled as a 3rd time offender. He's a 2nd time offender but he's being portrayed in a way that will make it incredibly difficult for him to gain employment in the field he trained for.

The guy is 29, in a career that few players can maintain beyond 30. This would have been his last chance at a real starters pay as he is finishing up his first contract with the Seahawks. Now it is highly unlikely that any team takes a shot since he's suspended INDEFINITELY and can only be reinstated if Roger Dodger feels like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anointed One View Post
    Here is a solid breakdown of what's been going on...

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2417811/S...d-indefinitely
    Not hardly, that article is severely lacking anything solid, just "reports" from "insiders", the very same bunch of insiders that broke their own rules in outing the story and then reporting, incorrectly I might add, that it was for PEDs. The leagues own network leaked the story and that puts them in even more shaky ground.

Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    That actually looks into the issue in some depth rather than pandering to the cooperation is always right. The most telling element was that according to the league they did notify him he was in stage three, yet the Seahawks weren't notified. How can you claim that when you didn't even tell the team he played for? Now all the sudden he's out of the league and likely done.

Quote Originally Posted by HawksFanNorth View Post
    That actually looks into the issue in some depth rather than pandering to the cooperation is always right. The most telling element was that according to the league they did notify him he was in stage three, yet the Seahawks weren't notified. How can you claim that when you didn't even tell the team he played for? Now all the sudden he's out of the league and likely done.
    If the NFL is going to suspend any player for any length of time, they'd better have a signed document with that player's signature on hand, verifying that player's notification of his failure of the NFL drug policy. Anything short of that would seem to be he said/she said and, IMO, shouldn't be able to be legally enforceable. Plus, I still don't see how any employer could force someone, who is not under their employ, to take mandatory drug tests. Just doesn't seem right or legal. Many times I side with the NFL on their policies and enforcement of those policies, but this time, if Browner's account is true, the NFL is in the wrong here in a major way. I can't blame Browner for suing the NFL for millions, since that is what the NFL will cost him and possibly end his NFL career, or at the very least, severally damaged his earning potential.

Having said that, why would Browner be dumb enough to be anywhere near drugs, regardless of what stage he thought he was in? As he's due for free agency? Not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfan View Post
    Plus, I still don't see how any employer could force someone, who is not under their employ, to take mandatory drug tests. Just doesn't seem right or legal.
    Again, don't know if it's even still in force, but the CFL and the NFL signed a deal when Browner was up here, allowing guys to go to NFL teams without involving the courts. It also included drug and PED language, and $'s for the CFL.

How that stands up in court when challenged is way above my pay grade.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

JMR is online now defender of the high life
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfan View Post
    Plus, I still don't see how any employer could force someone, who is not under their employ, to take mandatory drug tests. Just doesn't seem right or legal.
    I think it could be legal if they player agrees to it....e.g. signs a contract that says the player will comply with the drug program requirements even when not on an active roster (unless the player is retired or in some other status that similarly implies a permanent end to their career).
    U MAD BRO??

So a contract that continues without end governing behaviour even when the party is not even in the league? Doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by jammer View Post
    So a contract that continues without end governing behaviour even when the party is not even in the league? Doubtful.
    I think a minor point if you consider most of those players would jump at a chance to get back in the league.
    U MAD BRO??

"Disappointed," Carroll said. "Disappointed for the guy, disappointed for what we had had in motion whenever you lose a guy. And then also, we feel for them. So I mentioned about how the compassion that comes out because ourguy is missing out on being part of something that he loves for whatever reason. We really care for these guys, and our players, they're very close. So when Richard Sherman looks across and B.B.'s not there, it means something to him. Those guys have kind of grown up together as Seahawks. So we're disappointed for them, and then also, we're very compassionate."
    This is why players like to play for, Carroll...

Also, it will be interesting to see how Carroll uses Walter Thurmond now that he's returning from his 4 game suspension... He should be our nickle because I think Maxwell has been doing one helk of a job (better than Browner imo) at that position...

Quote Originally Posted by Anointed One View Post
    Also, it will be interesting to see how Carroll uses Walter Thurmond now that he's returning from his 4 game suspension... He should be our nickle because I think Maxwell has been doing one helk of a job (better than Browner imo) at that position...
    Yep completely agree about Maxwell and have felt that Thurmond's best position was at the nickel. position
    Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

Browner's strongest argument, is the leagues violation of their own confidentiality rules. This stuff should have not been leaked to the media, never mind having the story break on the NFL owned network.
    You can't be the best unless you can beat the best

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    Browner's strongest argument, is the leagues violation of their own confidentiality rules. This stuff should have not been leaked to the media, never mind having the story break on the NFL owned network.
    Didn't A-Rod have a similar beef in this last go-around with MLB?
    U MAD BRO??

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567