Thread: Michael Bush

Michael Bush

No idea what the true original source of this one is.....Pompei in a bar?

But it is a valid notion. $2.8M is a lot for a back up RB- if that is the figure (sounds about right.) I'm actually surprised Trestman hasn't used him more as a receiver. Bush can catch. He has 2 catches/25 yds on 4 thrown to after 10 games. Obviously, he's not being considered as a weapon at this point in the Trestman O.

If he were a better lead blocker, I'd love to him used as an H Back. Maybe Trest is saving it? :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    No idea what the true original source of this one is.....Pompei in a bar?

But it is a valid notion. $2.8M is a lot for a back up RB- if that is the figure (sounds about right.) I'm actually surprised Trestman hasn't used him more as a receiver. Bush can catch. He has 2 catches/25 yds on 4 thrown to after 10 games. Obviously, he's not being considered as a weapon at this point in the Trestman O.

If he were a better lead blocker, I'd love to him used as an H Back. Maybe Trest is saving it? :)
    Yeah, I just assumed he's as good as gone unless he decides to restructure to stick around in his limited role.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/michael-bush/
    Looks like he was due the largest chunk of his guaranteed money this year (his 2012-2013 base salaries were also guaranteed), so releasing him next year obviously makes the most sense.

Considering that our backup RB's the past 2 seasons have barely seen the field when Forte is healthy I'd be all for just picking up UDF's or street FA's to back up going forward. Also, I think Emery has a much better eye for the necessary qualities in a backup than Angelo ever did.

I mean I like him as he is a competent backup...but is the money we are paying him worth it or is it better spent elsewhere (namely defense)?
    The two-wheeled scourge of the streets

I started thinking about this in our first game, when Forte stayed in in goal line situations. It just seems like Trestman values shiftiness but clearly not power as much. I don't see any way that Bush comes back, even if he cuts his pay in half. And with the number of spots we have to fill, there's no way we pay a backup RB even half of what Bush is making.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Bush was horrible today. Not going to place it all on him, but there has not been a run this year that I can remember him looking good on. I have no problem investing a late round pick on a RB this year.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

shrug, he can take garza with him next year as well.

Whats the point of having a guy who's role is to pound it up the middle when you have a center that's below average at run blocking? Garza just doesn't have it.
    A man like Emery doesn't need a search firm. He is the search firm. - Jon Greenberg.

the first time Bush was stonwalled on 4th and goal it wasn't his fault...guy came clean and had bush squared up...nothing he can do on that.

The one that proved that he try's to me he's more Ron Dayne than Jerome Bettis is the goaline play in the fourth with he had a clear lane up the the middle off guard. He actually pushes off of the blocker (I think it was britton) and tries to keep stretching it outside and gets stuffed.

THAT play more than any other proves he's pretty useless as a "goalline" back. And therefore really doesn't have a place on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by jamus34 View Post
    the first time Bush was stonwalled on 4th and goal it wasn't his fault...guy came clean and had bush squared up...nothing he can do on that.

The one that proved that he try's to me he's more Ron Dayne than Jerome Bettis is the goaline play in the fourth with he had a clear lane up the the middle off guard. He actually pushes off of the blocker (I think it was britton) and tries to keep stretching it outside and gets stuffed.

THAT play more than any other proves he's pretty useless as a "goalline" back. And therefore really doesn't have a place on the team.
    Yeah. Nobody would've had a chance on the first play.

That said, I really don't know how much of the other runs were his fault, either. Our line absolutely sucks at lining up and moving the defensive line for a yard. I pointed out a few weeks ago that the majority of Forte's positive runs come out of shotgun draws or pitches and very rarely a standard run between the tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Load Letter View Post
    Yeah. Nobody would've had a chance on the first play.

That said, I really don't know how much of the other runs were his fault, either. Our line absolutely sucks at lining up and moving the defensive line for a yard. I pointed out a few weeks ago that the majority of Forte's positive runs come out of shotgun draws or pitches and very rarely a standard run between the tackles.
    I completely agree. We need some beef at C.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

I've been very much behind getting beef at C for awhile. Appreciate what Garza has done and what he's been asked to do, but lack of size is a big reason why we haven't been strong up the middle and converted a lot of 3/4 and 1.

I also agree that no one would've had a chance on a couple of plays we ran with Bush this year. That being said we've spent handsomely on Taylor, Barber, and Bush as backup RB and haven't had anything of note to show for it in my opinion. With forte healthy the #2 isn't going to get a lot of work and not get into a rhythm, so maybe that as much as anything shows the money isn't well spent on a backup.
    Basic, yes, but it was something we rarely saw under former Bears coordinator Ron Turner. Turner's idea of in-game adjustments involved his boxer shorts. -Rick Morrissey.

So I think for the most part everyone agrees on these two points:

A) We do not need to spend $2-$3M / yr on a backup RB.

B) The money we DON'T spend on the backup RB would be better invested in improving our starting C.

That said , I'd be all for drafting a mid round (3 or 4) center, picking up an UDF RB or a street guy, and spending the money we save on defense. I think overall you can find better FA value on defense rather than offense...plus our offense is pretty stacked as it is.

I've thought we should have cut him at the end of LAST year. He's not good.

I just never understood the obsession with expensive backup RBs when other teams seemed to find quality starting RBs in the late rounds of drafts year after year.

We're already a year or two late on getting a new center. It's an absolute must this offseason.