Trestman and Time Outs

Has there beeen any discussion about Trestman not using his time outs at the end of regulation? My guess he must have been trying to limit the # of plays the Ravens could run, wanted them to feel rushed, and was content playing for their FG try and OT rather than giving them the time/comfort/ability to run versus our run D on at least 2 more plays. Given in that weather, he wouldn't have wanted to try a 1-minute drill anyway.

But, i'd be interested to hear what he said, if he talked about it.

Heard it on the radio earlier.

Excellent explanation.

And really nice to have a HC who actually answers questions, instead of going with 'You couldn't possibly understand my deep thinking, because I'm a head coach and you're not a coach or player'.
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

Yeah, whether you agree with this decision or not, you have to like the fact that he really did think it trough and had a logical explanation for his decisions.

The dude is a student of the game, no doubt:

So really only the first time where I considered really calling a timeout was after Ray Rice had the 11-yard run to the 5-yard line. And he took that ball, probably, I think it was about at 1:16 when he had that ball. That was the first time. I was down there with the official. That was the first time. But when you put ... the numbers all together, if you call three timeouts right there in succession, you’re still only getting the ball back at 18 seconds, OK? If you let it run, they’re in a two-minute mode, OK? And now they’ve got to call two timeouts, so a couple things come into the play with their using their two timeouts.

No. 1, they didn’t call a timeout on the first one, which means they had to call a play out of their two-minute package instead of using their red-zone package. So that’s No. 1. They didn’t call a timeout and get into different personnel groupings to call the play. And then by using their two timeouts, we knew what they had to do on third down. They had to throw it because there wasn’t enough time left to do anything else. So we cut the percentages in half from run to pass. And then there was just one big leap of faith. But if we call three timeouts in a row, we’ve got 19, 18 seconds left at the max. So the percentage of them scoring — it’s a leap of faith. I mean, they went all the way down the field. Three points, yes. Tie the game. Seven points, we’re talking 13 percent.
    Do you think these were the type of thoughts going through Lovie's mind at the end of the game?
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by The Kaiser View Post
    Yeah, whether you agree with this decision or not, you have to like the fact that he really did think it trough and had a logical explanation for his decisions.
    This.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

I like the fact that he knows and thinks about the percentages. For example, the 4th down play deep in our territory during the GB game. From a strict coaching perspective you never go for it that deep on 4th in your own territory.

I imagine Trestman sat there and was thinking about the percentages of 4th and one plays and I'll willing to bet the odds of making it is better than 50%.

Trestman will probably get burnt for it sooner or later...but I like a coach that believes both in his players and in the history of the game.
    The two-wheeled scourge of the streets

He probably doesn't get invited to many poker games, lol.
    Slightly better Jay, different day

I believe I read that the bears hired an anilitacal guy someone whose whole job is to look at percentages

Quote Originally Posted by Biggix View Post
    I believe I read that the bears hired an anilitacal guy someone whose whole job is to look at percentages
    They hired a Director of Analytics, which I thought was fascinating (and not because I work in enterprise software). He's tasked with all forms of analytics, from in-game metrics to specific player stats, stadium operations, etc.

On a personal note, we've actually done a lot of application development and built-in analytics with the 49ers (our software will completely run the operations in their new stadium). I've worked directly with the NFL (Jets and Giants) and NHL this year and there is a lot of interest in applying these products to their sports. The issue is that these organizations are typically laggards, which is why I am so excited that the Bears are ahead of the curve on this.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Da Coach View Post
    I am so excited that the Bears are ahead of the curve on this.
    This!