The title question is self-evidently correct.
As for whether having government running things is good or bad -- in most industries the private sector is clearly superior to the public sector. However, there are a number of exceptions. Factors which suggest being government-run might be best include:
- Public good/tragedy of the commons
- Public good/workers are motivated by do-goodism
- Natural monopoly
- Doomed to be heavily regulated
- Doomed to be heavily bureaucratic
- Can be insulated from the worst corruption
Retailing and information technology are great examples of sectors that should be privately run for reasons of competition.
The loan-granting side of banking should be privately run for reasons of corruption.
Public safety and health care should IMO be publicly run, or at least heavily publicly funded. Ditto education and basic research.
Some other industries are closer calls.