Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Spread in Denver-Jacksonville game week 6: 26.5 points

This is the largest point spread I can remember in an NFL game. Can anyone think of a larger spread?

I probably would take Denver too, LOL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-jacksonville/

That's it?

There was a 27-point spread like 40 years ago. Steelers against Tampa, I think, and I know they covered.

The history of 20+ point spreads is VERY bad for the favorites covering, but Seattle covered the 19 against Jacksonville a couple weeks ago and, to be honest, I'd take Denver here as well. I don't think I will when it rolls around (there's just not enough of an edge in the line for me to hit it), but yeah, it says a lot about a franchise when you don't even like them to get a dirty backdoor cover being given 27 points. Yikes.

Some reports indicate it is moving up to 27 or beyond. So we will see what it ends at. Seriously, can someone recall a bigger one? I am sure it has happened but I cannot personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggloo View Post
    Some reports indicate it is moving up to 27 or beyond. So we will see what it ends at. Seriously, can someone recall a bigger one? I am sure it has happened but I cannot personally.
    Wyndham is right that 27 is the biggest spread in NFL history
    What we've got here is failure to communicate....some men you just can't reach

I think I'd eagerly take Jacksonville there. If I ever gambled.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

If Denver blows out Dallas and Jax does its thing I think the spread hits 28.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    I think I'd eagerly take Jacksonville there. If I ever gambled.
    Be honest: wouldn't you consider 45-10 a more likely scoreline than 38-13? I don't see how the Jags cover from an offensive or defensive perspective. Denver doesn't seem to be letting down too much in the 4th quarter, either. If the Jags had any kind of capability whatsoever to score a couple TDs, I could see them flirting with 20 points which would likely get a cover, but they're so absolutely inept that you wonder how they'll score.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Be honest: wouldn't you consider 45-10 a more likely scoreline than 38-13? I don't see how the Jags cover from an offensive or defensive perspective. Denver doesn't seem to be letting down too much in the 4th quarter, either. If the Jags had any kind of capability whatsoever to score a couple TDs, I could see them flirting with 20 points which would likely get a cover, but they're so absolutely inept that you wonder how they'll score.
    Weird **** happens. 27 is a lot of points.

Yeah, if I were going to drop 50 on this game, my money is on the Jags covering.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

On paper, this game is a blowout, but Peyton could have an off day, the weather could be a mess, etc., and it's hard to account for garbage points. I don't think these types of games are worth playing, from either side. You're really just guessing, and it's certainly not a game I have any interest in watching.

I'm betting the Broncos until they fail to cover. They haven't let me down yet. No idea how they are only a 7.5 favorite at Dallas.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

I would be more likely to buy Jacksonville covering if Henne is QBing.
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

If the weather is anyway halfway decent, and Denver does not mail it in with a quarter to go, odds are that Denver will cover... I rate the Eagles offense much higher than that of the Jaguars, and Denver has hung 49 points on the Baltimore defense, another 38 on the Eagles defense, 34 on the Giants defense, and 37 on the Raiders defense. So yeah, under normal circumstances I see them putting up some 38-40 points easily on offense alone... And frankly I do not see the Jaguars scoring 13 points at this point.

Messed up by how many the Eagles lost - should have trusted my instinct (52 scored against rather than the 50 I cam across)...
    Last edited by DutchBird; 10-03-2013 at 02:30 AM.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I'm betting the Broncos until they fail to cover. They haven't let me down yet. No idea how they are only a 7.5 favorite at Dallas.
    - The game is in Dallas

- People are fooled by Dallas record and the usual annual media hype (see ESPN). Which ignores the following: Combined record of the opponents of Dallas: 6-10. Combined record of the opponents Dallas has beaten: 0-8.

What has added to the hype is that the other teams in the NFC East have looked quite bad, while at the same time ignoring that all these teams faced a (much) tougher schedule than Dallas. Records of the opponents the other teams played: Eagles opponents is 11-5, that of the Giants is 11-4 and the Redskins 6-9. So based on record so far, Dallas has had by far the easiest schedule of the division. I mean, the wins of the Redskins and Eagles come at least against teams that have one recorded win.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

Peyton is old.......if Denver is up big going into the 4th they probably just bench everyone. The danger with big spreads is always garbage time. The inexperienced backup comes in and throws a pick-6, the backup defenders give up a couple of prevent TDs, etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast