Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by chariots View Post
    I applaud the appreciate the low guy on the totem poll thinking but lets add this up. The majority of NFL long snappers do their job as successfully as PGA tour players do over one foot putts or a first base umpire on a ground out. Without Mannelly we have a guy who does his job 199 times out of 200.

If they had another long snapper there would have been and additional three or four bad snaps and maybe an extra blocked kick or two in fifteen years. Might add up to two extra losses in his career. Not a heck of a lot.

--
    Your general point that stat sheets unfairly represent player value in football is 100% correct. A player's success depends on the guy next to him. And until they can break down every movement of every player on every play we will be left with misleading stats.

The thing about it is if you lose your long snapper in a game, you don't have a guy who's gonna do his job successfully 199 of 200 there. you got a guy who may have done this for a year or two in college 7 years ago, or a guy who showed it off a couple times in camp fooling around. Now every punt is a potential disaster on top of field goals. Even a 21 year old veteran longsnapper coming into a different situation can cause problems right? just ask the 2002 NYG. And he was their 4th replacement.

Also, if long snappers were so bountiful, I doubt they would keep Mannelly @~1Mil opposed to a younger guy at the minimum for half that.
    A man like Emery doesn't need a search firm. He is the search firm. - Jon Greenberg.

I keep thinking of that waterbed commercial and their jingle. Peppers, Peppers Waterbeds, woo hoo.
    Slightly better Jay, different day

I believe this is Peppers last season with the Bears.

I expect Wooten to start on the left side and produce. We'll then sign him to our second NFL contract, sign Melton long-term, with Pea and Shea rounding out the front line. Not a bad mix of youth, versatility that can grow together over the next 4-5 seasons.

I love our youth on DL and now at LB. Hope we can rebuild our CB situation in next year's draft. If executed correctly, our defense can remain strong (e.g. reloading instead of rebuilding).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McKean View Post

I expect Wooten to start on the left side and produce. We'll then sign him to our second NFL contract, sign Melton long-term, with Pea and Shea rounding out the front line. Not a bad mix of youth, versatility that can grow together over the next 4-5 seasons.

I love our youth on DL and now at LB. Hope we can rebuild our CB situation in next year's draft. If executed correctly, our defense can remain strong (e.g. reloading instead of rebuilding).
    I appreciate your enthusiasm but I don't share the same outlook. I don't see anyone who can come close to replacing Peppers on the roster. Opposing offenses have to game plan for Pepp-- not so for the other guys at DE position. If we let Pepp go in order to free cap space for re-signing Melton and Wooton then so be it but there is no way that any of those guys will make up for the loss of Peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McKean View Post

SheaMc needs to show us a heck of a lot of something before we're subbing him for Peppers and saying we're OK. Especially if we're still running the T2 defense.
    Wouldn't it be great if we booted the 200 lawyers from the House and Senate and replaced them with economists? That way, we'd stop harming our economy with laws that would apply to the politicians, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    SheaMc needs to show us a heck of a lot of something before we're subbing him for Peppers and saying we're OK. Especially if we're still running the T2 defense.
    Yeah, Shea has a long way to go to fill Peppers shoes. Peppers is a monster DE who could be used as a legitimate DT (on any down, but preferably a 3rd and long). I see She McClellan as a one trick pony DE at this point in his career.
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefive View Post
    Guys - I don't think I implied that Shea = Peppers. Peppers is a once in a decade player at this position - not someone that will be replaced.

That being said, can Shea and Wootten be >= to Alex Brown and Adewale Oguleye? I think they can and will be. Can Melton and Paea = Tommie and Tank/Boone? Could be if they both take a step forward.

The exciting thing is that these are young players with talent and potential at critically important positions.

Peppers, Paea, Briggs, and Conte are the only defensive starters under contract past this season. Unless Peppers' play really drops off this season, I can't see them releasing him next season. That just doesn't make sense.
    The meaning of Life : 101010

"And in case of emergency, dial 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12