trade evaluation...post trade advice

I just agreed to a trade in my 16 team dynasty keeper league where we keep 14, then have a 4 round FA/rookie draft. No ppr, default settings for standard scoring.

I have as my keepers:
    Brees,
    Forte, D Murray, C Ivory
    Santanna Moss, S Rice, R White, D Williams (tenn), M Floyd, McCluster (maybe gets more looks with Reid)
    Chandler, Pettigrew,
    Akers
    Texans

The trade I'm just agreed to is the following:
    1(13), 3(12), 3(13) Bush (to handcuff Forte)
    for
    Roddy White, Chris Ivory 3(4).

That will give me 1(4), two 3rd rounders and a 4th plus Bush in case Forte goes down.
    White is still good, but in a dynasty league, older players start to lose their value...best to sell high IMO
    Ivory had one good year in NO, but he's been banged up too, so no telling what he'll do...but I suspect he'll be around 1000. and I get an extra draft pick.

Hoping to pick up a WR and RB and a back up QB in the draft.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

Personally, I think you gave up too much.

Roddy is a 2nd-rounder in a redraft and Ivory is still a very young RB with low miles who injured his hamstring last season (not a serious knee tear or anything like that) and most likely a sole starting RB -- which is rare these days in the NFL and in 16-team leagues.

I'm not sure what the extra 3rd rounders (essentially 17th rounders) are going to net you ... perhaps a backup K behind shaky Akers?
    I sure wouldn't offer a package deal just to get the handcuff to Forte.
    Are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?

Now you got no number one WR?

There's 14 keepers so what's left in the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Now you got no number one WR?

There's 14 keepers so what's left in the draft?
    I'm in a 12 team 18 keeper league. Drafts like these are usually the best rookies and occasional older quality starters.

My leagues draft last year went like this for the first round 12 picks
    Trent Richardson
    Justin Blackmon
    Doug Martin
    Andrew Luck
    RGIII
    David Wilson
    Kendall Wright
    Michael Floyd
    Alshon Jeffrey
    Josh Gordon
    Isaiah Pead
    Stephen HIll

I basically gave up Roddy because his productivity can't last forever. Ivory I've had since he was a rookie, and I'm selling high right now, I can tell you for sure. Thinking long term is the way you build a team in a keeper dynasty league. I will have a crack at two potential starters. I know that I gave up my #1 WR, but Forte getting hurt the last two years has pushed me out of the playoffs. I'm banking that I will get either a top WR or RB at #4, and a guy who will develop into a top WR at #13. WR's are easier to find a band aid for in this league than a solid RB.

We do get some quality veterans in the draft. Usually the 3rd and 4th rounds are kickers and defenses, but you'd be surprised how many guys you can get to go on and have good careers in the later rounds. I took Demarco Murry in the 3rd round his rookie year for instance.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

My post trade advice is to build a time machine and use it to go back and slap yourself across the back of the head before making that trade. It's rare to pull off a trade where you downgraded two roster spots and a draft pick so, uh, congrats I guess? Awful, awful trade.
    "I will punch you." - Wounded Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    My post trade advice is to build a time machine and use it to go back and slap yourself across the back of the head before making that trade. It's rare to pull off a trade where you downgraded two roster spots and a draft pick so, uh, congrats I guess? Awful, awful trade.
    That was pretty much my reaction too. I play in 2 dynasty leagues myself, so I understand the desire to sell high and unload aging players before their value drops off, but this is not a good example of doing that. In fact, it's the exact opposite. This is selling low on both White & Ivory because you're afraid of their value falling. White still likely has at least 2-3 more productive years in him and he's worth way more then that package. I actually own Ivory in one of my leagues and I wouldn't even trade him alone for a package like that. Handcuffs are wildly overrated and those 3rd rounders are highly unlikely to amount to anything valuable. Even with that 1.13, it's basically a crapshoot where you're happy if you end up with a guy like Ivory.

Comments:

1.) I also didn't like you giving up Roddy White. Sure, it won't last forever...but White is a top 10 WR the next 4 years for sure.

2.) Chris Ivory could be HUGE in the Jets offense with Shonn Green in Tennessee now. I read an article where Idzik envisioned Ivory as another Marshawn Lynch.

3.) I HATE hand cuffing RB's...a waste of roster space. I'd rather just get another starting RB as my back up..at least you can start the best match up weekly rather than wait for an injury that may or may not happen. Also, when a star RB gets hurt...usually offenses go elsewhere with the ball (e.g. pass it more) while easing in the back up. Hand cuffing is no guarantee.....
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

NM. Sent as pm.
    Last edited by Bigwill; 07-29-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janos_51 View Post
    Thinking long term is the way you build a team in a keeper dynasty league..
    I'm just going to leave this right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I
    “True terror is to wake up one morning to discover that your high school class is running the country.” - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post
    2.) Chris Ivory could be HUGE in the Jets offense with Shonn Green in Tennessee now. I read an article where Idzik envisioned Ivory as another Marshawn Lynch.
    Marshawn was a beast all his life who was drafted towards the top of the first. Ivory? Not.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    Marshawn was a beast all his life who was drafted towards the top of the first. Ivory? Not.
    Lynch was so-so in Buffalo before a change in scenery. I remember being able to draft Lynch in rounds 5-7 back in the day.

Ivory...every time I watch him...he runs hard...and is impressive in limited spurts. Sometimes I thought he was better than Thomas and Ingram.

One thing for sure...the Jets are feeding him the ball between the tackles...
    "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Hyped View Post

3.) I HATE hand cuffing RB's...a waste of roster space. I'd rather just get another starting RB as my back up..at least you can start the best match up weekly rather than wait for an injury that may or may not happen. Also, when a star RB gets hurt...usually offenses go elsewhere with the ball (e.g. pass it more) while easing in the back up. Hand cuffing is no guarantee.....
    I fully agree and disagree with this. I think the word "handcuff" is way overused in fantasy football. People tend to think that you should grab the backup to your starting RBs and that is called handcuffing. This is incorrect. There are only a few back up RBs who can be considered handcuffs, imo. A handcuff is a backup RB who, if the starter gets injured, will come in and put up comparable numbers to the starting RB. That doesn't always mean they are the same type of back. Take Michael Bush and Matt Forte. I think Bush qualifies as a solid handcuff. A lot of teams will go to a RBBC if their feature back is out. Take the New Orleans backfield situation. When this happens, as Hyped said, "handcuffing" is a waste of a roster spot. If you do it right, it can prove to be beneficial. If not, you end up wasting space.
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

I don't think I agree with your decision. You gave up too much, White is quite consistent and is still targeted quite a bit, and now I see your team area of weakness(WR)in an even worse situation.

Just my 2 cents. Hope the move pans out for ya though.