Gennady Golovkin

I know probably 2 maybe 3 people will see this post way down here, and half of those will be on accident. But I had to see if anyone else was watching this guy box? He could be the scariest boxer I have ever seen in all my years of watching. You watch him throw punches and they look solid, but not near hard shots or actual punishing shots, but then you watch the guys he hits. He taps a guy with a jab a nd the guys head goes flying back and his eye starts swelling shut right away. It's like his fists are made of steel. I have been trying to think of a guy who he boxes like for several days now, and I just can't. Closest I can think of is a young "Iron" Mike Tyson when he was young and hungry and had a good trainer and was a good boxer but just mowed people down. But Golovkin isn't really that similar, he fights with a much different style than that bobbing weaving buzzsaw of Tyson, and kind of just stands there and punches but somehow slips punches too. But the way his oponents are just scared of him is like a young Tyson. You can actually see their fear of him.

He is still young like a Cannelo Alverez, so may never pan out into an all time great or anything. And even though he has a couple titles now, once he steps up the level of competition maybe they will stop being terrified of him in the ring. But right now he is by far my favorite boxer, and I can't wait to see what comes (hopefully relatively free of fixes).

Actually the best comparison I can think of may be the fictional Ivan Drago. But this guy is real, hits like a truck, and still won something like 340/345 amatuer matches where they wear headgear so he has more than just power.

I have never seen him, but you have me curious now. Thanks for the info.

If you're an HBO subscriber, all 3 of his HBO fights are on HBOgo right now. Otherwise 5 minutes on youtube and you can find all three of those full fights plus a couple others.

Forgot to update people ahead of time... not that anyone comes down here anyways. But GGG just had another fight live on HBO this past weekend. It is up ondemand for cable viewers or HBOgo for subscribers. This guy does nothing but impress me.

He's very impressive and just pure fun to watch.

I still think Floyd would toy with him though
    Last edited by Nastradamus; 11-14-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Is this the Russian middleweight? I have seen clips of him. He is impressive. When does he move up to more ranked opponents?
    Gang Way!

Its difficult because of the league he's in. Boxing has so many BS complications.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Middleweight, yes. Russian, no. I think he is a former Soviet country of some sort though, so I guess close enough.

He is IMO a better boxer than Canello. He is definitely a harder puncher. I think he has a style that would be harder for Mayweather to deal with. But yeah, if Money fought the same way he did in that fight, he would toy with most fighters in History.

As far as fighting better opponents, that depends on them more than him. The "lineal" champion of the Middleweight division, Sergio Martinez, is another HO fighter. But he may only have 1 or 2 fights left and those are after he has his knee surgeries done. People say he will make more money and have a better shot against Cotto first. Canello obviously lost some Lustre but I doubt his people would let him fight Golovkin now anyways. Mayweather was already going up in weight for Canello, I doubt he wants to stay there for a harder fight when he could go back down in weight and actually make more money. The only big name fights Genna do has right now realistically is going up in weight or in his own division Peter Quillon. Quillon is from Mayweather' s (and my) hometown and fights on Showtime with him. So that's one big impediment to a fight. He is promoted by De La Hoya and Golden Boy, and he already has a championship belt of his own that they want to keep. Plus he just barely won a controversial decision over a guy that GGG knocked out with ease.

Right now he just fights whoever is willing to fight him. If he keeps winning though his name will get bigger and so will the number of people willing to pay to see him fight, which will bring in more options. Otherwise maybe next summer or even fall we might see him get the winner or Martinez vs Cotto.

Ward Golovkin would be sweet too.

Ward would beat the pants off of Mayweather heads up. Anyone who Floyd can beat, Ward would punish. Golovkin would have all of the advantages against Mayweather, younger, stronger, heavier, more durable, longer reach, probably hungrier at this point, etc. Only things against him would be speed and skill. And for that Golovkin would get most likely the biggest pay day of his career. Not career to this point, it would be the fight he points to 15 years down the line and says I wish I had another payday like that.

Ward on the other hand is bigger stronger fast and a better boxer than GGG. And he isn't even a proven ppv commodity yet. His fight just a few days ago not only was not ppv, it wasn't even a sell out of the small stadium it was in. Under 10k people there. Ward 2 as getting just under 2 million for the fight and his opponent was getting I think 1 million (then they ended up getting fines and stuff too.) Just to fight Floyd "Money" Mayweather any no name is going to make 5 million at least. Have a name for yourself and I think Canelo made over 20 million or something crazy like that.

Ward vs Golovkin is at least a couple years off. No reason for them to make that fight yet.

Yah, I really hope they figure out a way to make GGG/Floyd happen. I was just kind of thinking out loud about Ward. If Floyd doen't happen soon GGG may end up mvoing up in weight rather than down and Ward could be an eventual possibility. I'd still watch now, but they wouldn't make the big money.

Like I said before, don't know how many will see it, but GGG has a fight coming up in a couple weeks live on HBO. July 26th is I think the date. The guy he is fighting is a legitimate championship contender, IMO, so should be worth watching. But again IMO, he is leagues below Golovkin in talent so should be another showcase for GGG more than a close fight. Although you never know for sure in any fight sports.

I'll give it a watch/check some youtube stuff.

Didn't see this thread. I'm a pretty big boxing fan.

Definitely going to watch that fight. GGG needs to fight some real competition soon though. Not saying its his fault, I just want to see him fight someone top notch.