Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by lechrus2 View Post
    How much would no Walmart cost Wisconsin taxpayers?
    check your PMs.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Compare them to Costco, who is just as successful, and pays their employees a good wage with benefits.

Costco isn't mooching off the public dole to improve their profits.
    linky dinky
    Yep. Costco has been very very good to me. But we work our azzes off.

This entire "study" operates under the assumption that if these people were not working at Wal-Mart, they'd be working someplace else that would pay them more and not require them to use public assistance. In reality, the fact that these people have jobs and some income actually reduces the amount of public assistance they take. Hence, Wal-Mart actually saves the taxpayers money. If Wal-mart increased wages, they would reduce their workforce and hence put more people on public assistance.

Costco has membership dues and larger profit margins for their products.
    "I just threw away a lifetime of guilt-free sex and floor seats for every sporting event in Madison Square Garden, so please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots!"

Costco doesn't go higher than a 14% markup on anything but alcohol.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbelt View Post
    Costco doesn't go higher than a 14% markup on anything but alcohol.
    So you think Costco and Walmart have the same business model? shopping experience? clientele, pool of employees?

When we eliminate the local Walmart, what percentage of employees would easily meet costcos hiring requirements?
    I've got binders full of women
    and a one point plan.

No, I'm sure Walmart has a lower common denominator for customers and employees. Costco can afford to be more discriminating with their hiring.

Their prices are competitive though, you have to make both the initial hurdle of the membership price and the extra costs due to sheer bulk.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    This entire "study" operates under the assumption that if these people were not working at Wal-Mart, they'd be working someplace else that would pay them more and not require them to use public assistance. In reality, the fact that these people have jobs and some income actually reduces the amount of public assistance they take. Hence, Wal-Mart actually saves the taxpayers money. If Wal-mart increased wages, they would reduce their workforce and hence put more people on public assistance.

Costco has membership dues and larger profit margins for their products.
    Warehouses generally have a smaller margin, not larger. Higher volumes, smaller margins on those products.

Quote Originally Posted by RayClay View Post
    Where would the former Wal Mart employees work, NASA or Harvard?
    I don't think you understand what a zero sum industry is. Any chain store can disappear and the business just goes elsewhere.

The industry would be just fine without them and other companies would expand.

Get Walmart out of your IRA or 401K and this thread may be relevent.
    I promise I won't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    I don't think you understand what a zero sum industry is. Any chain store can disappear and the business just goes elsewhere.

The industry would be just fine without them and other companies would expand.
    Yes, it would go to another discount retailer with mostly part time and low wage employees who largely don't elect to participate in the company health care plan because it costs too much in comparison with their wages.

Target would be a good comparison, even if they are a little nicer and not quite as cut price.

This is a reprint of a 2005 article, but it pretty much shows that Target is no better, and likely not as good, as Walmart in this area. Should we shut them down too?

It was the fall of 2001, and a chorus of boos erupted at Target’s annual sales meeting when a senior executive at the company flashed Wal-Mart’s name and logo on an enlarged screen.

“This,” he said, pointing at the logo, “is the evil empire.”

For years, Target has cultivated an image of itself as the “anti-Wal-Mart,” a retailer that refuses to sacrifice workplace standards in the pursuit of higher sales and stock prices.

But now, after a decade of meteoric growth at both Target and Wal-Mart, labor groups say the two retailers are no longer very different in the way they treat their workers.

Entry-level hourly workers in Target stores earn roughly the same pay and have more difficulty qualifying for health care coverage than their peers at Wal-Mart. Both retailers oppose unions and have taken steps to prevent organizing efforts in stores. And both have outsourced jobs overseas to save costs.

But while Wal-Mart is perceived as a corporate giant that will do just about anything to maximize sales and profits, Target — thanks to its hip advertising campaigns and its longtime contributions to a variety of civic and cultural causes — is seen as a model corporate citizen and benevolent employer.
    http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart_target_better/

[First published in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in 2005]
    and a one point plan.

I'm not a buying club member, but my understanding is that costco appeals to the upper income buyer who wants to save money, but also wants fine wines etc. This is a generalization, but i think they are different even than Sams, which has the same business model, in this regard.
    and a one point plan.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345