Draft being Moved

I'm sure by no you have all heard the NFL will be moving the Draft back into May for at last the next 3 years. I believe net year it will be early May and then the 2 years after that mid May. Although it could be the other way around where it's Mid May net year and early May after that. I don't remember it exactly other then they are moving it for 3 years into May.

My personal opinion is I don't care for it much on a few levels. That means that Rookie Camp and OTAs will all have to be pushed back and there will be much less time between OTAs and training camp. Rookies, including QBs who it will affect the most, will have about a month less time to learn the playbook and get comfortable with the offense. Teams will have less time to sign there draft picks and players who gt hurt during OTAs for one reason or an other will have less time to heal an injury.

The other part I don't like, and Veteran players would never allow this to happen, is everyone talks about how teams should build through the draft. Well if that's the case then why not have the draft earlier before Free Agency so you know what positions you need to fill in FA and can then just sign players that you rally have a need for. Right now rookies have a tough time to make a team because players who were signed might be too costly to let go so instead they let the rookie who is making less go. I love the idea of building through the draft and by doing so it would likely bring down the amount of money teams waste on aging veterans who are a bust. At least if you keep a rookie they're only making the rookie minimum and if they go bust it's not as big deal. I jut really believe they have it backwards and the draft should definitely be prior to FA. Also unlike what I said in my 1st reasons the drafted players would have much more time to get ready for the season.

Thoughts on moving the draft back into May?

The teams have to spend that money anway. You can't just keep all cheap rookies anyway cause you'd go under the cap floor. But I do get your overall point.

The only good thing about moving it back is that you'll have less kids missing spring time ball with the teams that drafted them as most kids will be done with school by then.

The one downside is the middle of may is when a lot of finals/graduations are. So some kids might be sitting there in their cap and gown with teams texting them when they're gonna take them. That could get interesting. LOL
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

I see it as a strategy go minimize the boring portion of the NFL season. You go about two weeks after the draft and all the draft buzz dies down. There are small bubbles in interest between the draft and training camp that center around OTA's and maybe the June cuts, but other than that it's a proverbial doldrum for NFL chatter, and I'm sure the NFL hates not being talked about.

Worse, this coincides with the NBA and, to a lesser extent the NHL playoffs.

Pushing the draft back two weeks or a month prolongs the pre-draft chatter season and may even make fans more excited when the draft finally rolls around. I think they just feel like it's going to augment the overall off-season interest for the NFL.

I know by the time the draft rolls around now-a-days I feel like every talking point has been pounded to dust like a dead horse under a pile driver, but *shrug*, maybe I'm abnormal in that regard.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Sucks hairy ballbags. I love the draft, can't miss the NHL playoffs and am perfectly happy with a long summer without a word about football, so I'd be perfectly happy to move it FORWARD, not back.

I like less dead time between the draft and the season. I can watch a playoff game at the same time as the draft pretty easily or who knows if it will even coincide with a good game.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

The draft is like opening up your presents on Christmas, then having your parents tell you to put your brand new electric football game in the corner for 2 months and just look at it.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

There's a lot of really dumb, narrow-minded business people making decisions that they don't have the wherewithal to properly grasp all over this planet. Even our "escapes" can't escape it.

I think a part of this has to do with the odd rules around draftees not being able to participate in OTAs if their class hasn't graduated yet.

It's a dumb rule to begin with. I'm not sure why they couldn't just change it. Most likely some obscure NCAA bureaucracy precedent.

Regardless, moving the draft back will solve this problem and level the playing field for teams and their rooks.

I wish they'd switch back the to the old draft format of having it start on Saturday and end on Sunday. I can't stand this new format at all.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

I think it's about spreading things out more than anything. Holding the draft in May puts it right around the middle of the offseason and gives the NFL offseason relevance for a longer period of time. FA in March, non stop draft overload until mid May, Mini camps until the middle of June, and then 6 weeks of wait time until TC. I think it's the NFL just wanting to be front and center for as much time as possible even in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSuperfan View Post
    I wish they'd switch back the to the old draft format of having it start on Saturday and end on Sunday. I can't stand this new format at all.
    I say we also change the draft back to 12 Rds too. Every team brings in at least 5 UDFAs anyway. Why not just go back to 12 rounds like it was in the early 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by LASam View Post
    I think it's about spreading things out more than anything. Holding the draft in May puts it right around the middle of the offseason and gives the NFL offseason relevance for a longer period of time. FA in March, non stop draft overload until mid May, Mini camps until the middle of June, and then 6 weeks of wait time until TC. I think it's the NFL just wanting to be front and center for as much time as possible even in the offseason.
    They already have the mot successful sport and it isn't going to get more relevant. I don't get why they continually tinker with success. Eventually they're going to make a move which is going to really hurt the league all because they are never happen enough. They always want a bigger lice of the pie and they really don't need to try to crush the NBA & NHL by taking talk about them away with the NFL draft. What they had was great what they've done the last few years by changing rules within the games, changing how the daft is run, and now changing when the draft will be isn't making for a better game or making me want to watch it any more than I did before..

Quote Originally Posted by Lofaw View Post
    They already have the mot successful sport and it isn't going to get more relevant. I don't get why they continually tinker with success. Eventually they're going to make a move which is going to really hurt the league all because they are never happen enough. They always want a bigger lice of the pie and they really don't need to try to crush the NBA & NHL by taking talk about them away with the NFL draft. What they had was great what they've done the last few years by changing rules within the games, changing how the daft is run, and now changing when the draft will be isn't making for a better game or making me want to watch it any more than I did before..
    I don't disagree with you. Just pointing out that the NFL strives for dominance in the minds of fans year round and this is another example of it.

IMHO -

I think the Senior Bowl should be more important than the actual Combine / Pro Days. NFL Network said that some GMs think the combine is pointless because of the new practice facilities that hold the Pro Days / ability to send scouts/collect video on that stuff.

Where the Combine has dropped the Senior Bowl has gained. Tremendously. If anything, that should be the focus of the pre-draft opportunities.

Here Are 10 Changes That I'd Make that would make it better for scouts/audiences/coaches/players.

A. SENIOR BOWL should be turned into an 8 Team Tourney. 11 O. 11 D.
    B. 8 Coaches Meet To Draft Their Own Players. Instill Their Own Playbooks.
    C. Underclassmen Allowed To Compete. What year is this....1955?
    D. No Full Games. 4 QT of OT Rules. Each O gets 4 opportunities from the 25 yard line.
    E. DAY 1 ROUND 1. DAY 2 ROUND 2.
    DAY 3 Championship = Full Game.

Notes : One of the main problems that scouts/spectators have made is that the Senior Bowl doesn't show us how players do in Red Zone situations. Like the PRO BOWL....coaches are forced to deal with starters that don't fit their system...and also forced to rotate in substitutions to keep everyone happy.

Quarterback play is very important to scout at the Senior Bowl level. Especially RedZone. It's impossible to see if a QB is "warming up/creating momentum" if he's given time sporadically in the game.

A tournament style system gives more incentive for players to do this. If they win...they get more exposure (ie extra games). If they lose...they don't.

The Senior Bowl has to find a way to showcase 3-4. It also needs show multiple offenses that do well in the NFL. The Head Coach of a 2-14 team vs a head coach of a 3-13 team...both of which could be out of jobs... is not helping this process. Having a Seattle Offense w/ 1 team...and a New Orleans offense with another seems smarter for a multitude of reasons.

I also don't get underclassmen not being able to participate in the Senior Bowl. They're allowed to declare aren't they? They're allowed at the combine. WTF?
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff