Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well let's understand that it was Brad Pitt who called her "heroic." Neither one of those jokers (AJ and BP) are going to apply to Mensa anytime soon, so I'm not going to come down on him too hard.

I never really cared for AJ and my skank meter goes off the charts when I see her, but this is an admirable way to use her fame to get a message across to other vulnerable women who may be facing the same situation.

Kudos, Angelina.
    Last edited by Wounded Bear; 05-16-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: irony
    "Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians -- you are not like him."

-Gandhi

I don't think it's heroic. Bravery comes into play as mentioned. I also think she does some good by making women in general more aware that there are ways to find out your level of risk and if the risk is high (and you have lots of money) there are ways to potentially reduce that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin Lombardi View Post
    There is nothing heroic about what she did. She should be applauded for going public with this, but it was just a smart move on her point to protect her own life.
    Well said, and agreed on all three points.

FWIW I think another upside is that it's raised public awareness about the AMP v. Myriad SC case (CNN today was using the Jolie story to actually talk about the case in depth, which was good to see).
    Scandal is gossip made tedious by morality.

She could've not said anything. ....she wanted to share what she had to go through.

I can appreciate that.

"Me against the world? So what…Im Brian Dawkins
    versus the whole 0 and 16 Lions offense
    So bring on the Giants Falcons and Miami Dolphins…"

She's at least as heroic as any of the football gods we all worship, and call hero's.

Going public with this was certainly noteworthy. And given the efforts she and BP have made around the world, including adopting children into their family... yeah.... I'd call her heroic.

She doesn't just talk the talk...
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

I'll stick with my opinion - realizing full well that it is a tough and difficult decision too make for a woman. O yeah, and one who has had various direct family members that have had breast cancer, including some that did not survive as a result, and observed the fear among the other female family members that they were/are genetically predisposed to it.

And as said above, AJ's decision to do it was made easier by the simple fact that she has the money for the cosmetic surgery to limit the damage. The simple fact that when she looks into the mirror before or after a shower, she still has (something that look like boobs). Something that for the vast majority of women who have this decision to make is NOT an option (even preventative surgery might not be an option for the majority of them). Women who at best can afford fake carry-on boobs rather than surgical replacements. And some who cannot even afford that.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

If she established The New & Improved TITStitute For Women Worldwide she'd be an instant Heroine to all of you hypocritical boobs overnight. I'm not a Big Fan or anything but I'll give the young broad her due. She's an action hero already, but this one counts.
    Gang Way!

I have a friend who is a tattoo artist, and for years he has done areola tattoos for women who've had reconstructive surgery. His work can be seen here, and is pretty amazing.

(probably NSFW)

http://vinniemyers.com/section/10567...Tattooing.html
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

She's an idiot.

Wonder if she would have had her boobs cut out if she knew her mom died of cancer treatment....

No one in the history of the universe has died due to a tumor on their cervix, and plenty of women have tumors on their breasts, leave it alone, and it goes away on it's own.

You really can fearmonger people into the dumbest things.........
    “Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth, for being correct, for being you. Never apologize for being correct, or for being years ahead of your time. If you’re right and you know it, speak your mind. Speak your mind. Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.” -Gandhi

Rational skepticism is not the same thing as being a conspiracy theorist.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream. -Muggeridge

Pitt & Jolie have thought and worked hard to use their celebrity for good -- adoption from third-world countries, gay marriage, and now the medical consciousness-raising as well. I admire that.

Pitt's hyperbole praising his wife as "heroic" is more than forgivable.
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

Quote Originally Posted by DutchBird View Post
    I'll stick with my opinion - realizing full well that it is a tough and difficult decision too make for a woman. O yeah, and one who has had various direct family members that have had breast cancer, including some that did not survive as a result, and observed the fear among the other female family members that they were/are genetically predisposed to it.

And as said above, AJ's decision to do it was made easier by the simple fact that she has the money for the cosmetic surgery to limit the damage. The simple fact that when she looks into the mirror before or after a shower, she still has (something that look like boobs). Something that for the vast majority of women who have this decision to make is NOT an option (even preventative surgery might not be an option for the majority of them). Women who at best can afford fake carry-on boobs rather than surgical replacements. And some who cannot even afford that.
    Actually for the most part (from my understanding at least) the plastic surgery replacement is part of the actual procedure and is covered under most insurance plans. So that part isn't about her money all that much. However the test to see if you do in fact have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene are patented by one company only, and cost over $10,000 to have that gene test done. For what is essentially a $100 ish test really. So most normal people will never know if they do have the BRCA1 or 2 gene, at least until this issue is orted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    Actually for the most part (from my understanding at least) the plastic surgery replacement is part of the actual procedure and is covered under most insurance plans. So that part isn't about her money all that much. However the test to see if you do in fact have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene are patented by one company only, and cost over $10,000 to have that gene test done. For what is essentially a $100 ish test really. So most normal people will never know if they do have the BRCA1 or 2 gene, at least until this issue is orted out.
    Okay - thanks for the info... although I would like to read the fine print in such policies (knowing the fine print for similar coverage over here - I would not be surprised if condition for coverage for the preventative procedure is the known presence of genetic predisposition)...

Today a columnist - in response to the AJ letter and the mediafrenzy surrounding it - basically states that going public might in many ways be counterproductive... citing some US reports, she stated that many (if not the majority) of the preventive breast amputations done in the US are in fact completely unnecessary (since the women involved are not genetically predisposed to the disease) or possibly unnecessary (predisposition unknown).
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

There is a condition called lumpy breast syndrome, which affects as many as 50-60% of women. They get lumps or cysts that form in their breasts, which are completely benign and non-cancerous. However they feel exactly like what breast cancer would feel like. If a woman finds one in her breast, she is supposed to go to a doctor and get it biopsied and then wait a few days to get the results. Imagine how horrible that feels. Then it comes back negative, and you're relieved that you got all worked up over nothing. Then you get another one. Then another. Then the fourth you wait a few weeks to go to the doctor because you're sure its nothing. Except this one is breast cancer... And you know if you beat the breast cancer, you're gonna freak out 10x as bad next time you have a lump, and women with this condition WILL get another lump/cyst it may not be cancerous.... But then again it may be.

I wouldn't say she is a hero for doing it, but honestly she may save lives by showing women they can still be beautiful, or whatever it is that women will take out of this. I will state for the record that I believe Angelina Jolie getting this done, ad being public about it will directly save at least one woman's life. Indirectly starting the conversation may do even more than that. So by that definition, it isn't a huge stretch to call her a hero either.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan2003 View Post
    I think people are underestimating the impact something like that has on a woman. I'd go with at least brave. It would be like having your gonads chopped off if the odds for testicular cancer were high You have to do it but to say one wouldn't be traumatized by it is hard to believe.

And she easily could have hide this fact as it relates to her career but she didn't. At least brave.
    This is how I feel and I don't really understand why there is any sort of controversy about this. And breasts are way more visible than our balls are.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    I have a friend who is a tattoo artist, and for years he has done areola tattoos for women who've had reconstructive surgery. His work can be seen here, and is pretty amazing.

(probably NSFW)

http://vinniemyers.com/section/10567...Tattooing.html
    I think that was mentioned in one of the articles... her nipples were saved.... Phew, huh?

Btw All the reconstructive surgery is painful and might not even be covered under many insurance policies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12