BBC grammar quiz

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22512744

10 questions. 7-8 are really easy. 3 ask for names of grammatical constructs, more or less; I missed one of those. (The one that said "What is the name of the rule being violated here?")
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

I got 8 right. Missed the sibling question. And the last one. Got a little lucky on one as well as it was more deductive reasoning than knowing the answer.
    The trouble with the world today is the intelligent people are full of doubt and the dumb people are full of confidence - Charles Bukowski

7 right
    "Personal foul, 69, offense. He was giving him the business."

six out of 10, and I outright guessed at one.
    "the blade itself incites to violence." - Homer

--

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - Kung fu Monkey

10/10, of course.

I will say that with question 8, I had to use process of elimination. Had the question been fill-in-the-blank rather than multiple guess, I wouldn't have been able to supply the answer.
    “There are two laws of the universe: the law of gravity and everybody likes Italian food.”—Neil Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in NYC View Post
    10/10, of course.

I will say that with question 8, I had to use process of elimination. Had the question been fill-in-the-blank rather than multiple guess, I wouldn't have been able to supply the answer.
    #8 wasn't formed so that one could, at least not w/ a unique answer.

But yeah, I knew the word they offered as the correct answer. ;)
    APF doesn't come in screaming at others about how stupid they are. APF doesn't spam NST with the same tired topic 30 times a month. APF doesn't link to some kook in his mom's basement telling you how to, "Be afraid. Be very afraid" of the world falling down around you. And, when APF is proven wrong, he acknowledges he made a mistake and moves on, rather than harping about "sheeple."

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

10/10, of course.

Meanwhile, I acknowledge your expertise as superior to mine with respect to things that dangle or are misplaced.

-- Cory Bonini

Welchie summarized

You know you have a BBC when, oh, wait a minute. Sh*t. Wrong thread.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Incidentally, it's as much a reading comprehension test as a grammar test. There were a couple of questions where I had to go back and say, "Oh, they want the one that's *wrong*..."
    “There are two laws of the universe: the law of gravity and everybody likes Italian food.”—Neil Simon

Incidentally, it's as much a reading comprehension test as a grammar test. There were a couple of questions where I had to go back and say, "Oh, they want the one that's *wrong*..."
    I got one wrong for that exact reason. I didn't think I was looking for a wrong sentence, so I saw the first one was proper and clicked it. 7/10 as a result of being in a rush.

6/10.
    Al Michaels: "That's the loudest manure chant I have ever heared!"

Sleeping barely above the sea... and walking under water

8/10. The 'do you mind my asking you' one i didn't remember the term, but I remembered that the equivalent in spanish is the present progressive, which i must have gotten confused with imperative. Not really arsed what the definition is anyway, I can use them probably and don't have to teach it to anyone.

And the sibling one, which I just didn't bother to read carefully and now that I look back feel rather silly.
    In defense of humans
    Lay down your power trip
    Stop toying with emotions and relationships
    Cause you, you don't rise when people fall