Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by KickSave View Post
    Being a Caps fan is unlike any other team in sports. They don't just lose. They set you up, give you hope (if you let them) then rip your heart out in ways that can't be compared.
    That's one reason why if I were a DC based sports teams fan. The Caps might piss me off more than any other DC team including the Skins.

The Skins have been a cluster**** (until recently) since Snyder took over and a bad team for the last 20 years.

The Wizards are just, well, the Wizards. They had some great teams and championship success when they were the Bullets, but from an honest perspective. The only thing that kept them from being the NBA's biggest joke for a long time were the Clippers.

The Nats - too early to really judge them, but if Starsberg ends up like Kerry Wood or J.R. Richard. Nats fan won't be able to help, but think back to last year and wonder "What if?" Had they not shut him down and went all out for a WS title.

The Caps aren't like any of those teams, but in the end. The results, at least from where I sit, have been far more hope and soul crushing.
    The world is a toll-free toilet
    Our mouths neurological ass0s
    And psychologically speaking
    We're in a state of mental diarrhea
    Talking sh*t a mile a minute
    Or in a state of constipated notions
    Can't think of nothin' but sh*t, and in this world of stinky futures
    Sh*tty memories and constipated 19 now-nows
    Emerges from the hiney of your head the doo doo chasers
    The Promentalsh*tbackwashpsychosisenemasquad
    Bringing you music to get your sh*t together by

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    That's one reason why if I were a DC based sports teams fan. The Caps might piss me off more than any other DC team including the Skins.

The Skins have been a cluster**** (until recently) since Snyder took over and a bad team for the last 20 years.

The Wizards are just, well, the Wizards. They had some great teams and championship success when they were the Bullets, but from an honest perspective. The only thing that kept them from being the NBA's biggest joke for a long time were the Clippers.

The Nats - too early to really judge them, but if Starsberg ends up like Kerry Wood or J.R. Richard. Nats fan won't be able to help, but think back to last year and wonder "What if?" Had they not shut him down and went all out for a WS title.

The Caps aren't like any of those teams, but in the end. The results, at least from where I sit, have been far more hope and soul crushing.
    It was pointed out this week that Washington had 3 division winners out of 4 pro teams and that's pretty good when compared to other cities. But it sure doesn't feel like it. Trust me we all feel as you illustrated above.

The hockey hardcores are pretty divided. I heard a lot of them the next day openly questioning why they continue to invest so much in tickets, jerseys, time, emotion etc. But there's the other faction who points out they have been in the playoffs 6 straight years, a longer run than the Redskins have every had, and the media would never kill the Redskins like they are killing the Caps this week.

I think they're both nuts. I certainly don't blame the first group but they aren't fooling anyone, they'll be back in their seats next fall. And the second group is dillusional if they can't see what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Laich and Green? I dunno about that. Laich is a valuable, gritty, borderline heart-and-soul type. Green may finally be turning a corner given that he didn't suck defensively this playoffs, most of the regular season and his offense is really getting there. I mean, I still have a big question mark over his head, but defensemen like him don't grow on trees. The D would be unthinkably bad without his ability to get the puck out of the zone, and that's altogether ignoring how good he is on the PP.

I dunno, if this was NHL 13 I could probably find ways to make the team better if I trade them, but I don't know that GMGM can do it in real life. I'm not saying I'd shed tears but I think other guys have to go before them.
    We'll agree to disagree on Green and his exiting the zone. If I had a dollar for every time he tried to do something fancy when exiting the zone only to turn it over I'd be rich. The guy is still a liability defensively who isn't physical enough. The only way he's worth 6M is if he's lighting it up on the offensive side at a HIGH clip and his injury history makes that a big question long term.

I could see keeping Laich but I'd trade him for the right price. Obviously you don't give him away for nothing but for the right deal he'd be gone.

There aren't many guys on this team I'd be sad to let go of if we got the right return. Chimera, Laich, Green, Erskine, Carlson, Ward. Heck, even Backstrom drives me nuts. He was atrocious to start the year and horrible in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Green Fan View Post
    It was pointed out this week that Washington had 3 division winners out of 4 pro teams and that's pretty good when compared to other cities.
    That's damn good actually. But in 20 years, hell, in 5 years, who will care?

The hockey hardcores are pretty divided. I heard a lot of them the next day openly questioning why they continue to invest so much in tickets, jerseys, time, emotion etc. But there's the other faction who points out they have been in the playoffs 6 straight years, a longer run than the Redskins have every had, and the media would never kill the Redskins like they are killing the Caps this week.
    Interesting. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be pleased with seeing the Skins in the playoffs 5 or 6 years in a row. But ultimately if they didn't cash in, once again, who cares? Course this is coming from a Redskins fan who spent his 20s watching the Skins go to and win more multiple Super Bowls. So regardless how gaudy of a "consecutive years in the playoffs" streak may be. If you don't have a league title to show for it. You're the 5 NFCCG in a row Eagles or 4 Super Bowls in a row Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Breed View Post
    ...At any rate, I hope the name Redskins never gets changed...
    Here's some more support for you, Breed:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d-by-redskins/

Quote Originally Posted by riggoranger View Post
    Here's some more support for you, Breed:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d-by-redskins/
    Sounds good, really good. More than anything this is probably what's needed to quell the controversy. Native Americans coming out in support of the name and the team. And G. Anne is on point. There are so many many other things, real things to worry about.

I am now convinced that the majority of people who think the name is wrong are white folks who tell us that Natives should be offended.

And I didn't know there were woman chiefs. That's pretty cool

I have been one of those that is fine with a name change. One thing has really started to piss me off though. The folks who compare Redskins with the N word. They aren't even in the same ball park. If a white guy walked up to a black guy and called him the N word there would be a serious brawl. We all know what would happen. The word redskin is not seen in the same way by all native Americans. Maybe some would be seriously offended but it's beyond obvious that not all native Americans see it in the same way as the N word.

Guys like Mike Wise should be ashamed of putting it in the same category.

Guys like Mike Wise are attempting to re-create history in the name of political correctness or cultural relativism, and they go overboard in their zeal. It's like those dudes who compare illegal immigrants to the plight of blacks in the 60's. It's a disgrace.

The thing about the term "Redskin" is that it hasn't even been in popular vernacular for 70 years or so. It’s such an outmoded term, and were it not for the team name, no one would even use the word. Or, people would use it, and it would have no positive association. Words change their meaning over time, and this is one of those instances where the meaning—and all associated with it—has morphed into something I would argue is completely positive. For all of my life, Redskin has meant only one thing. And the only cross-contamination is when, every year or so, we're reminded that it's a bad word that offends someone somewhere. I wish the people fixated on the historically negative meaning of the term (mostly suffering from an affliction called white guilt) would just let it die and celebrate its demise with us REDSKIN fans.

I don't even acknowledge Mike Wise anymore.

Stras gives up 1 in 8 innings and Harper goes deep. Good signs.

Harper went very deep. Good to see his shoulder/arm/chin isn't affected too much. :) It was also good to see Stras go past the 7th.

Great article on DCSportsbog:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-change-name/

Retired Patawomeck chief says he’d be offended if Redskins change name
    By Dan Steinberg, Published: May 29, 2013

I’m ready to never write another word about the Redskins name, but the dang issue just won’t take a break. So, in the same week that 10 members of Congress sent a letter to Daniel Snyder, Roger Goodell, FedEx’s CEO and others, urging a name change, SiriusXM NFL Radio hosted Robert Green, the longtime and recently retired chief of the Fredericksburg-area Patawomeck Tribe, to ask him about the name issue. And he said he’d be offended if the team does change its name.

Now that’s a spicy pickle! Looks like someone will be offended no matter what happens.

“I think that first of all, you have to make a decision whether you consider it offensive or not,” Green said. “And frankly, the members of my tribe — the vast majority — don’t find it offensive. I’ve been a Redskin fan for years. And to be honest with you, I would be offended if they DID change it.”

Why is everyone so quick to take offense nowadays? Oh wait. Um. Anyhow, Green was asked why some Native Americans have described the term as offensive.

“Well, I think that first of all, our country has become too politically correct,” he said, as 73 percent of my commenters threw up their arms in praise. “And you can find it in any number of areas. Little League, where everybody has to get a trophy now, or otherwise the poor child that doesn’t get a trophy will have his psyche hurt.

“And I think what you have to do is look at where the name Redskins originated,” he continued. “There are some that give the term Redskin a negative connotation — to indicate that it was created by the white man to offend the Indians — but in reality the term Redskins came from the Indians. And they referred to themselves oftentimes — in treaty negotiations, in meetings with the early settlers – as Redskins. So it’s not a term that the white man created; it’s actually a term that the Indians themselves created.

“So I just believe we have people in this country that try and gin up problems where problems don’t exist,” Green said. “Now, our investigation into the term goes back pretty far, to 1608, when John Smith was traveling from Jamestown to meet with the Indian people. And he remarked in his diary that when they’re born they’re as white as we are; it’s only as they age that their skin darkens. And we believe that there was a reason for that. We use a bug repellant, for lack of a better term, that was made up of animal fat and the dye of the Pocoon (?) plant. And coincidentally, the Pocoon dye, when it’s crushed and dried, is red. And so for years, the Indian people were rubbing this red dye into their skin. And some of the other early settlers remarked that their skin turned red. So was that a comment made to denigrate the Indian people? I don’t think so.

“I don’t think the name was created by George Preston Marshall to be offensive,” Green concluded. “And if you look at the logo, there’s nothing offensive about the logo. I think one of the great things about the logo is that it’s an Eastern Indian, and they didn’t go to the full war headdress and things. So it was never intended to be offensive. I think sometimes we’re a little too touchy in our society these days”.
    And then Green probably sent a melon baller to RGIII or something.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678