Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2014 Draft: Guys to watch...

Let's not talk about the household names.

I'll kick it off with the tight ends. We may have a unique situation here with three potential first rounders for 2014, at least on my list.

Colt Lyerla, Oregon - This junior could easily be a high 1st round guy. A top recruit with great athleticism, he had 25 receptions and 392 yards (15.2 avg) for Oregon lat season. He scored 6 touchdowns. I anticipate a big year for him. He needs to bulk up a bit (6'5" 240lb), but should be the best TE prospect in years. He also lined up at RB and ran the ball 13 times for 77 yards.

CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa - Some think this senior might be the next Gronk, and definitely looks the part. He can block, run routes, and has good athleticism and hands. Had 45 receptions last season. 6'7 265lb.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington - A great athlete for the position. He also plays for the hoops team. I'm not sure how his blocking is. The 6'6" 266lb incoming junior already has the school receiving records for a TE. He had 69 receptions last season for 850 yards and 7 TDs as a sophomore and very good production as a freshman. (Or is it "first-year student" in Washington now?) He was arrested for DUI in March. Hopefully, it's behind him.

Jace Amaro, Texas Tech - Don't know a lot about him. A top HS recruit with good size, athleticism, and receiving skills. Off field issues.
    Last edited by BigFin; 09-22-2013 at 01:36 AM.

I would add in

Cassius Marsh DE/DT UCLA - Hes kind of the antithesis of Datone Jones. Better pass rusher but not as good against the run. Hes a little bigger though. He probably would be best off as a 3 tech in a 4-3. He is 6'3 290ish but could get up to 300. Had 8 sacks in a semi break out junior year. He is also a good athlete for his size. He will never be a great run defender, it is just not in him but he could definitely carve out a ten year career in the nfl. As long as he stays healthy he could go in the 3rd or 4th round.
    "All that is necessary for the
    forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

I can't imagine any TE being better than ASJ

Quote Originally Posted by McGruffHawk View Post
    I can't imagine any TE being better than ASJ
    I was thinking the same thing.

I mean those other two guys are good prospects, but Seferian-Jenkins is on another level.

I've posted before, but I really like the two underrated West Coast Qb's David Fales and Derek Carr.

Speaking of TE's, does anyone know anything about TT's Jace Amaro? He looks like a stud with some issues off the field. If Amaro, ASJ, CJF, and Lyerla all opt to come out, this could be an "A" TE class.

Definitely.

I'm a bit of a Husky homer, but ASJ looked rock solid coming back from "hiatus" today.

I still think he's the best TE in this class, especially with Lyerla and Fiedorowicz catching 8 passes between them in the first month.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFin View Post
    Speaking of TE's, does anyone know anything about TT's Jace Amaro? He looks like a stud with some issues off the field. If Amaro, ASJ, CJF, and Lyerla all opt to come out, this could be an "A" TE class.
    Not to mention Ebron, although, I could almost see him making the TE to WR transition (ala Colston) at the next level. Definitely looks like it could be a pretty good TE class.

Maybe it's cause he's a RS Soph, but Melvin Gordon seems pretty underrated right now.

Fiderowicz is so overrated... He struggles at blocking (but it has gotten better) He drops too many passes that he should catch. The talent is there. But he is a very frustrating player to watch. His SOPH year he looked like he was on the right track but the past two years up to this date he has been so dissapointing.

Other than the obvious so names to keep an eye on that not a lot may be talking about.

Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane

Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

Jaylen Watkins, CB/S, Florida (Has really improved his tackling)

Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State (So underrated, he will be a better NFL player then college even, wouldn't be shocked if he declared)

Kenneth Acker, CB, SMU very impressive CB and special teams contributor

B.J. Lowery, CB, Iowa Needs to add bulk, but reads and reacts well. Made some mistakes in the ISU game but has rebounded well. Size may hurt him a little bit. He tackles well, hits well and on most days covers well

Anthony Hitchens, LB, Iowa His 40 may hurt him but he's just one of those guys who makes football plays.

Christian Kirksey, LB, Iowa playmaker at LB, came in as a WR. Hits well, sheds well, doesn't miss assignments, great turnover machine. Surprised he doesn't get more national attention.

Dayvon Ross, WR, Central State small school stud, will rise up boards.
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

Dennard is a stud
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Hard to not like what mettenberger has become. Can he crash the 1st round talk?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Hard to not like what mettenberger has become. Can he crash the 1st round talk?
    Size and arm strength were never in question, and now he's starting to produce at a high level as well, but the toughest part of that SEC schedule is yet to come. They have Georgia next weekend, Florida two weeks later, 'Bama the second weekend in November, and TA&M two weeks after that. It's one thing to set the world on fire against UAB and Kent State, quite another to get it done against quality SEC opponents.

Its a very interesting question at the least. He has impressed me so far. Him and Mccarron are both wild cards in a way.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

I don't think McCarron is that much of a wild card. I look at him as this year's Andy Dalton. Where exactly he ends up going depends on how the draft falls, which of course depends on who ends up coming out this year. He doesn't really have the physical attributes to shoot up the board in February-April, but his success and intangibles probably keep him from falling too far. At best, he's the guy a team targets late 1st/early 2nd. At worst, he's a high-end backup.
    Last edited by Xulu Bak; 09-22-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast