Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Schaub has been in deep decline and fell off a cliff at the end of last year.

    I don't think QBs will lose value, we just have more good ones than ever before I think. The supply has actually surpassed the demand, at least in terms of it being a high draft pick value price.
    I realize Schaub has fallen off a bit. I'm not a huge fan of his overall. My statement very well may have been true even if he was 28 and playing at the same level though. There aren't going to be a ton of teams searching for a franchise QB in the next few years IMO. Especially if Geno and/or Manuel works out.

    I'm not quite at this point yet, but there is definitely a part of me wondering if say, Matt Stafford is worth paying or if you could find someone much cheaper with a 1st round pick, locked in cheap for 5 years.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    59,311
    I know Teddy Westside will be worth his weight in gold.

    Louisville is gonna be nasty next year.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    Of course, but beyond the truly elite guys?
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    59,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Of course, but beyond the truly elite guys?
    I think that if more teams are set at QB they won't see it as a 1st round value. however, you're going to have teams like GB who will jack the Aaron Rodgers who falls and look like geniuses for it.

    this year that could be the Jets.

    but I think your point right now is correct. I think QB play is getting better across the board for a variety of reasons. I doubt we'll go back to some of the dark ages we saw with guys like Danny Kanell starting multiple seasons.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    It's like Mayock said. This is the first year in memory when QBs weren't artificially moved up draft boards due purely to the fact they are QBs. This crop went where their talent dictated that they go. I'm actually very proud of the decision makers for this. It would be fantastic if that trend continued, but I know it won't. This was just an especially bad year for QBs.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,736
    Next year will see 4 or 5 QBs potentially in the 1st round.

    Bridgewater
    Johnny Football
    Tajh Boyd
    Murray
    etc

    There are a number of other guys that could get consideration, as well.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    59,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Play4Blood View Post
    It's like Mayock said. This is the first year in memory when QBs weren't artificially moved up draft boards due purely to the fact they are QBs. This crop went where their talent dictated that they go. I'm actually very proud of the decision makers for this. It would be fantastic if that trend continued, but I know it won't. This was just an especially bad year for QBs.
    I disagree. You see that happen with players all the time.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    Next year will see 4 or 5 QBs potentially in the 1st round.

    Bridgewater
    Johnny Football
    Tajh Boyd
    Murray
    etc

    There are a number of other guys that could get consideration, as well.
    Only Bridgewater is in a different class than the guys this year. I'm stll unsure on Manziel admittedly, but I'd have to see him do some Russell WIlson like things out of the pocket first myself. I see him as more of a classic college QB who doesn't translate personally. More Tim Tebow than Wilson/Griffin.

    Body and Murray, along with Mccarron(probably my 2nd favorite QB right now), have as many question marks as Manuel,Barkely(why is Murray better than him???), Smith and Nassib.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Play4Blood View Post
    It's like Mayock said. This is the first year in memory when QBs weren't artificially moved up draft boards due purely to the fact they are QBs. This crop went where their talent dictated that they go. I'm actually very proud of the decision makers for this. It would be fantastic if that trend continued, but I know it won't. This was just an especially bad year for QBs.
    This is partially true, but to some degree, QBs should rise. They are exponentially more valuable than other positions and shouldn't go exactly where they are ranked on a team's board, unless position is already factored in. It generally isn't when we are having this type of discussion though.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    9,220
    Johnny Football is a hard guy to get a read on. I compare him to Charlie Ward with a lot more rushing attempts.

    Some draft sites are hyping up San Jose State QB David Fales as a 1st round guy.

    I really liked how the supposed top QB's dropped. Hopefully we don't see teams reach for QB's in the 1st round out of fear.
    Last edited by BigFin; 05-02-2013 at 04:52 PM.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Only Bridgewater is in a different class than the guys this year. I'm stll unsure on Manziel admittedly, but I'd have to see him do some Russell WIlson like things out of the pocket first myself. I see him as more of a classic college QB who doesn't translate personally. More Tim Tebow than Wilson/Griffin.

    Body and Murray, along with Mccarron(probably my 2nd favorite QB right now), have as many question marks as Manuel,Barkely(why is Murray better than him???), Smith and Nassib.
    I don't agree. All those guys and then some are better than this year's class. I was never high on any of them, never understood why Nassib was being considered a 1st, etc.

    Boyd is very, very good and should be a high pick, assuming he doesn't come back to earth this year.

    Murray has a much stronger arm than Barkley, which is why he would go higher again assuming he doesn't flop. A lot changes in a year, as Barkley found out.

    Comparing Manziel to Tebow is real dumb......sorry man, but that is awful. He doesn't have Tebow's problems throwing a football. Might not have the best arm strength ever but lets not get dumb here. He has elite playmaking ability and has a good enough arm.

    Some people also have David Carr's brother as a 1st but who knows.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    College Station, Texas
    Posts
    8,608
    As far as Johnny Football, don't be confused with his translation to pros, just because he is extremely elusive doesn't mean he can't throw the ball. He can make all the throws actually and this year there will be more pocket passing from him and it showed in the Spring Game and he was hitting his targets and reading well. He is a hard worker and studier in the film room as well. This could get even more fun watching as he throws from the pocket and still takes off when needed.

    I'm looking forward to seeing more of Bridgewater as well, he looks great.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    I don't agree. All those guys and then some are better than this year's class. I was never high on any of them, never understood why Nassib was being considered a 1st, etc.

    Boyd is very, very good and should be a high pick, assuming he doesn't come back to earth this year.

    Murray has a much stronger arm than Barkley, which is why he would go higher again assuming he doesn't flop. A lot changes in a year, as Barkley found out.

    Comparing Manziel to Tebow is real dumb......sorry man, but that is awful. He doesn't have Tebow's problems throwing a football. Might not have the best arm strength ever but lets not get dumb here. He has elite playmaking ability and has a good enough arm.

    Some people also have David Carr's brother as a 1st but who knows.
    He might not be Tebow's clone, but he's a guy who hasn't shown he can do anything besides be a run first, read option style QB. You can pick someone else of that nature to compare him to if you like.

    Murray does not have a stronger arm than Barkley. THey are very similar in that regard. They are solid bets to not be horrible due to their accuracy and pro style training, but they're both limited in size and arm talent. Murray will be next year's 4th rounder.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    59,311
    I can't wait to see Manziel fail.

    give back your undeserved heisman you *****.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    36,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    He might not be Tebow's clone, but he's a guy who hasn't shown he can do anything besides be a run first, read option style QB. You can pick someone else of that nature to compare him to if you like.

    Murray does not have a stronger arm than Barkley. THey are very similar in that regard. They are solid bets to not be horrible due to their accuracy and pro style training, but they're both limited in size and arm talent. Murray will be next year's 4th rounder.
    Disagree, his arm is clearly better than Barkley's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.