Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Quote Originally Posted by karhu View Post
    You must be a hit at parties.
    how is a guy with 1 yr of college exp not a project???

must have been all those 5 star recruits he went against in community college that got him ready huh

Quote Originally Posted by Refuse To Lose View Post
    its called foresight

matt light, our LT, was nearing the end of his career and BB was smart enough to take a very talented OT a yr in advance.. now brady doesnt have to have a rookie protecting his blindside and solder is a better prospect than most of the OT who are usually available where we pick

awesome pick tbh
    A gamble that worked out for once, yes. Congratulations. As for the rest of it, you really think there isn't a similar calculus behind the Bears' pick?

I could point out that in a year or two, Long will eat Solder's lunch. But I won't. That'd be me talking out of my hat, and that's not my style. For now, I'll just point out that no one--not you, now me--knows how the Bears' 20-hour-old gamble will compare to the one NE made a couple of years ago.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Solder hadn't grown into his damned body when the Pats drafted him. He was an inexperienced project with tremendous upside. Just like Long, who's older, far more physically mature, and a better athlete. Good for the Pats that Solder worked out so well, but that doesn't change the fact that plenty of folks thought Solder was a reach when he was drafted. Which, just to remind you, is what we're talking about here.
    These are the people who thought the Patriots reached when they drafted Login Mankins in the 1st round? Thought so.

They may have "issues" drafting good WRs but they seem to have the Olinemen thing down.

Someone ought to tell the Pats that their whole line was dyslexic. Either that, or I am, because I swear I saw Solder playing RT out of the gate. As for Long, get back to me in three years.
    You would be correct. Solder subbed for Vollmer at RT when Vollmer was hurt and did well for a "project". Matt Light was still at LT in his last year.

While many drafted Olinemen do start their 1st year they all need some work for the pros but Solder was playing well at RT his 1st year and well at LT his second.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan2003 View Post
    These are the people who thought the Patriots reached when they drafted Login Mankins in the 1st round? Thought so.
    Heh. You'd have to ask them; for my part, I liked Mankins a lot, and liked Derek Sherrod for the Bears better than Solder. Of course, we ended up with Gabe "Ouch" Carimi (not that Sherrod's injuries have let him see much of the field, either).

They may have "issues" drafting good WRs but they seem to have the Olinemen thing down.
    Yeah, I was mostly taking the piss there, but Andre Caldwell did spring to mind.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. Thereís a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if weíre not better it isnít because there arenít plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoViking View Post
    the more I look at it I don't agree. They only gave up a 3rd and 4th round pick for a first round pick
    In a bad draft, this guy isn't worth a 1st. Bad hands, other factors. Some mocks had the Packers taking him @26 and I was dead against that.

Good luck is all I can say with the pick
    The good die first, And they whose hearts are dry as summer dust Burn to the socket. ~~ William Wordsworth

you used the 20th pick on a guard with 1 yr of experience...

you used the 20th pick on a guard with 1 yr of experience...
    Ain't it great? If he'd had more, he'd have been drafted ahead of Cooper; instead, we got the best lineman on a team that rushed for more than 315 yards a game last year.

Anyway, good to see that you've had a change of heart.

Ain't it great? If he'd had more, he'd have been drafted ahead of Cooper; instead, we got the best lineman on a team that rushed for more than 315 yards a game last year.

Anyway, good to see that you've had a change of heart.
    lulz

so funny watching the homer come out of u as u try to defend the pick

lulz

so funny watching the homer come out of u as u try to defend the pick
    To a sad sack like this, everyone else looks like a homer:

smh

belichick is going to make sure we never win again

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
    In a bad draft, this guy isn't worth a 1st. Bad hands, other factors. Some mocks had the Packers taking him @26 and I was dead against that.

Good luck is all I can say with the pick
    Meh, Packers whining about the Vikes getting a good player.

Very few people are that kind of athlete. Same thing was said about Demariyus Thomas. He'll be a good returner and specialty player as a rookie, same as Harvin was.

Come on Keenan Allen. Fall five more picks!

I can't beleive the Warmack predictions from February actually came true.

Not that it's a bad pick, it's just picks so obviously simply don't happen very often.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526