Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With the First Pick of the NFL Draft Chiefs select .....

According to Fox Sports , they are saying contracts just began with Eric Fisher.

Not sure how I feel about this at all. Sort of feel a bit dazed & sick to the stomach like I did with Poe last year.

Small school but better athlete kind of guy. I wanted Joeckel all offseason.

Weird, still not sure if I buy it. Either way, they get a stud OT. CMU is my alma mater though so I'd be pumped if it happened.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

I guess 2 things bother me :

1) Reid hasn't had much luck w/ 1st round draft picks in awhile. Danny Watkins was a similar "mean & gritty" prospect that rose up in the draft and he was a bust for the Eagles.

2) This is a very, very ballsy move to start off your franchise. Not only are you drafting a small school OT no.1 overall but you're also trading away an above-average tackle in Albert away so this guy can start on Day 1.

This is no dis-respect towards CMU. But the Chiefs lack PROVEN stars on their offense. After Charles & Bowe , there isn't a lot of confidence that you could put into any single player - including Alex Smith.

With Joeckel , I felt like it was a safe pick. Even if he only put up a Jake Long type of rookie contract, I knew that i was getting a guy that shut down LSU, Alabama, and most of Florida. Big Fish only took out Datone Jones in Senior Bowl practices.

Long story short : We could be ass-clowns in the NFL for a long time if he fails & Alex Smith fails as well.

Would Fisher be the first MAC player to go #1 overall?

Quote Originally Posted by dasher View Post
    According to Fox Sports , they are saying contracts just began with Eric Fisher.

Not sure how I feel about this at all. Sort of feel a bit dazed & sick to the stomach like I did with Poe last year.

I'm not buying it...nothing online anywhere that I can find mentioning this...not even foxsports.com
    What we've got here is failure to communicate....some men you just can't reach

Quote Originally Posted by GiveUp2122 View Post
    I'm not buying it...nothing online anywhere that I can find mentioning this...not even foxsports.com
    Glazer called it earlier. Also I love that you're not seeing anything when NFL.com 's top story is :

http://www.nfl.com/news/around-the-l...p1000000162993

Haven't seen the contract talk starting anywhere. But I hope they pick Fisher over Joeckel. Better player, better upside, more versatile. Would have rather had Jordan.

I don't even think Joeckel was the best OT on his team in college, and I live in Central Texas and watched almost every game Texas A&M played. Also, I'll never consider an offensive tackle from an Air Raid offense in a permanent 2 point stance in those crazy wide splits as a "sure thing" in the NFL. I'd be more worried about Fisher's small school risk if he wasn't dominant the entire week of the Senior Bowl. He was just in another league than the passers in the one on one pass rush drills I saw.
    Last edited by TrueNBlue; 04-25-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” -- George Best

Whats to negotiate? Rookie scale. He will get 5 years, 22 million all guaranteed....like last years #1 unless it is going up and i havent heard that.

2) This is a very, very ballsy move to start off your franchise.
    Actually, if it happens, it's the exact opposite. Just like Alex Smith. They go hand-in-hand. Safe, low-risk, low-upside moves.

Glazer called it earlier. Also I love that you're not seeing anything when NFL.com 's top story is :

http://www.nfl.com/news/around-the-l...p1000000162993
    Glazer calling it and that story on NFL.com do not mean that contract negotiations have started. As DaBlueGuy stated...no where mentions that contract negotiations have begun with Fisher but nice try
    What we've got here is failure to communicate....some men you just can't reach

1) Reid hasn't had much luck w/ 1st round draft picks in awhile. Danny Watkins was a similar "mean & gritty" prospect that rose up in the draft and he was a bust for the Eagles.

2) This is a very, very ballsy move to start off your franchise. Not only are you drafting a small school OT no.1 overall but you're also trading away an above-average tackle in Albert away so this guy can start on Day 1.

This is no dis-respect towards CMU. But the Chiefs lack PROVEN stars on their offense. After Charles & Bowe , there isn't a lot of confidence that you could put into any single player - including Alex Smith.

With Joeckel , I felt like it was a safe pick. Even if he only put up a Jake Long type of rookie contract, I knew that i was getting a guy that shut down LSU, Alabama, and most of Florida. Big Fish only took out Datone Jones in Senior Bowl practices.

Long story short : We could be ass-clowns in the NFL for a long time if he fails & Alex Smith fails as well.
    I can agree with pretty much all of this. Only thing I'd say is that I don't think they see themselves as starting over as a franchise.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

What a terrible year to be picking #1.

Although on the bright side, Reid might have screwed this offseason up so badly that KC could be doing it again soon. ; )

He now has the pieces in place to have possibly an average offense. Hell it might even be slightly above average (no more than that though).

So KC's future success relies on Reid being able to turn around a talented but underperforming defense. Sounds awfully familiar.

But they really were in a tough spot this year without a ton of great options so I give him something of a break.

I don't mind the way Reid has handled this offseason, but there is no way around one thing. He has a lot riding on Alex Smith. He has to be a very good QB for him.

Think you are a little off on the Watkins criticism. He went much later in the first, where he was considered a reach. Also he was older, 26 or so, therefore his slow start at guard was doubly bad. I don't think he was bust level for the eagles by the end of the season. The consensus is that Fisher is still a top five prospect in this draft, but arguing minutiae.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast