Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nas' final mock

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I don't think Joeckel is playing it safe at all.
    Agreed. You're taking a player who played in an Air Raid offense and projecting how he's going to play in the NFL with his hand in the ground without exaggerated OL splits to give him the angle on the outside rush.
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” -- George Best

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Decipher it how you will, the Chiefs are categorically better at protecting their QB than pressuring the opponent's. Further, it's absolutely more important to pressure the passer. You can scheme around OTs and your QB's release, but you can't scheme pressure. It amazes me that people don't realize how bad the Chiefs were at rushing the passer and getting off the field on 3rd down despite having two great individual rushers. Because for all their talent, they can be slowed down with heavy protections to their angles. That gives other players gorgeous 1-on-1 matchups. The problem? KC doesn't have anyone even remotely capable of winning those matchups.

I wouldn't argue strongly against an OT if the Chiefs didn't have one. I'd still prefer a rusher but at least the alternative makes sense. It really doesn't when there's a good, experienced LT in place.

People are quick to point out the bad math KC's doing if they make the trades and picks so heavily rumored, but in threads like these pretend they're doing the right thing. Let this sink in:

1st overall pick + 34th overall pick = Alex Smith and late 2nd round pick
    For one, I'm not saying that they don't need more pass rush. I just don't think they need it from the OLB spot. For two, I think its ridiculous that you are making the assertion that its a positive if you sack the other team's QB, but not a positive if you prevent the other team from sacking your QB. Can you scheme around an OT? Sure. You can't scheme around an OL though. Same goes for a defensive player. I can scheme around one pass rusher quite easily.

and I assume what you mean to say is 1st overall plus 34th plus Albert = Smith,Fisher, a mid 2nd and 9.8 mil in cap space.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

You're just toying with my emotions before it all comes crashing down tonight. ; )

I just don't think they need it from the OLB spot.
    Hence drafting a player with the ability to line up all over the field, and giving the team more options such as putting Hali inside on 3rd downs, instead of lining him up against premier LTs. That's what it's all about. People are so antiquated when it comes to defensive scheming. It's not about strict position labels any more. If you've got Hali, Houston and Jordan coming from three completely different, entirely random spots, you're keeping a coordinator up at night. If you've got Houston and Hali rushing off the edge, you get your LT with a back and your RT with a TE to take them out of the play, while your interior 3 handle the Chiefs' interior rushers with ease, allowing for successful 3rd downs time after time.

and I assume what you mean to say is 1st overall plus 34th plus Albert = Smith,Fisher, a mid 2nd and 9.8 mil in cap space.
    Fisher's playing for free?

Sure, I could've said Albert = cheaper rookie who may or may not be a little better. I thought it went without saying.

There is a 9+million dollar difference between Albert/Jordan and Fisher/2nd. Now, the first group has more talent, by far. That goes without saying. The question now becomes, partially, what do they do with that cap space. Short and long term. I don't criticize them for not wanting to commit 20 mil guaranteed or so to Albert, but if they just pocket the money or make poor decisions with it, they are certainly open to criticism.

I don't disagree with your point about defensive schemes, I just think need and value are on the side of Joeckel in this case. Now if you thought Ansah could be a 5 tech type, I might be able to get with that a little easier. The inability of anyone on that DL to get a pass rush is very concerning. I don't think Hali can rush from inside consistently, but that's just me.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Are the eagles running a 4-3 now?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

The Eagles ran a 4-3 for the past three decades.

Now they appear to be moving to a hybrid of the 3-4 and the 4-3 under look popularized by Seattle.

Doh, I meant the Chiefs.

Stupid.

Thinking of Andy Reid when I posted that. Still see him as an Eagle. LOL.

My bad.

Are the chiefs running a 4-3 now?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Doh, I meant the Chiefs.

Stupid.

Thinking of Andy Reid when I posted that. Still see him as an Eagle. LOL.

My bad.

Are the chiefs running a 4-3 now?
    1-gap/attacking 3-4 with plenty of under/4 DL hybrid fronts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234