Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: Nas' final mock

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Geno maybe, Jordan I doubt. THey have more pass rushers than they do good OTs and Joeckel's almost unanimously graded higher. You don't reach at #1
    Nor do you play it safe. Unless you're the Dolphins or the Browns, who haven't won dick and never will with that strategy. You say you doubt it, but there's really nothing to doubt. If Jordan reaches his potential and any OT reaches theirs, the Chiefs will be kicking themselves for a long time. That's the bottom line.

    And the Chiefs have two pass-rushers, one getting up there in age and costing a boatload. A 3rd pass-rusher is way more important than a RT.

    Top 5 teams in sacks allowed: 1 playoff team.

    Top 5 teams in sacks: 4 playoff teams.

    Incidentally, there were 10 teams who allowed more sacks than the Chiefs. There were 2 teams who generated more sacks on defense.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Of course you can regret it. Just like the Dolphins do for taking Long. ESPECIALLY when you already have a good LT, and in this scenario they keep that LT?!

    I'd be floored if it goes down like that.
    Why, because of Matt Ryan? Seriously, if you have to give a quarterback a HOF TE and two stud wide receivers in order to be successful, maybe he's not the thoroughbred you're trying to make him out to be.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    31,084
    Good job on the Philly picks. I can see it going down exactly that way.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Geno maybe, Jordan I doubt. THey have more pass rushers than they do good OTs and Joeckel's almost unanimously graded higher. You don't reach at #1
    I don't get Chiefs fans desire for Jordan when they already have two double-digit sack edge rushers on their team. I don't hear it around town, only read about it on the internet.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Nor do you play it safe. Unless you're the Dolphins or the Browns, who haven't won dick and never will with that strategy. You say you doubt it, but there's really nothing to doubt. If Jordan reaches his potential and any OT reaches theirs, the Chiefs will be kicking themselves for a long time. That's the bottom line.

    And the Chiefs have two pass-rushers, one getting up there in age and costing a boatload. A 3rd pass-rusher is way more important than a RT.

    Top 5 teams in sacks allowed: 1 playoff team.

    Top 5 teams in sacks: 4 playoff teams.

    Incidentally, there were 10 teams who allowed more sacks than the Chiefs. There were 2 teams who generated more sacks on defense.
    Tamba Hali isn't even 30 yet. How much he's making is irrelevant.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Why, because of Matt Ryan? Seriously, if you have to give a quarterback a HOF TE and two stud wide receivers in order to be successful, maybe he's not the thoroughbred you're trying to make him out to be.
    I'm not close to his biggest fan, but he's a better pick than Long every day of the week. And he would've been a better pick if he'd turned out a lot of different ways, good and bad.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Tamba Hali isn't even 30 yet. How much he's making is irrelevant.
    Of course it's not irrelevant. How can you make such a comment when they're about to ship out a damn good LT to replace him with a rookie in order to save a few million?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I don't get Chiefs fans desire for Jordan when they already have two double-digit sack edge rushers on their team. I don't hear it around town, only read about it on the internet.
    Because pass-rush is by far the biggest need on the team, it's by FAR the second most important thing in football after QB play, and the #1 pick should be spent on a potential difference-maker?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Because pass-rush is by far the biggest need on the team, it's by FAR the second most important thing in football after QB play, and the #1 pick should be spent on a potential difference-maker?
    No it's not.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    No it's not.
    Yes it is.* And not only is it the biggest need, there's not even an argument for something else. Another weapon? Another piece on the OL? Or some individual part? No. Not close. Putting the opposing QB on his ass is the team's biggest weakness and the thing that'll hold them back this year. You can get by with a plug at RT or a weakness at ILB (especially with Pro Bowlers manning the other 3 positions and maybe even another athletic freak mixed in), but you cannot win many football games when you can't get off the field against top-notch QBs. Simple as that.

    *Franchise QB being the only and obvious exception, but they're not going that route at #1, we know this.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    and the #1 pick should be spent on a potential difference-maker
    Not a part-time player, which is what you're suggesting they do with the selection of Jordan.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Yes it is.* And not only is it the biggest need, there's not even an argument for something else. Another weapon? Another piece on the OL? Or some individual part? No. Not close. Putting the opposing QB on his ass is the team's biggest weakness and the thing that'll hold them back this year.
    Well, if Jordan gains about 60 lbs. and can play 5 technique, your argument that he should be the pick might hold some merit.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Of course it's not irrelevant. How can you make such a comment when they're about to ship out a damn good LT to replace him with a rookie in order to save a few million?
    Because unfortunately for the Chiefs, there's not a franchise quarterback prospect to be had in this draft. There are, however, two (possibly three) franchise tackles. Trading Albert allows them to recoup (in part) the pick spent for Alex Smith.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    37,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Nor do you play it safe. Unless you're the Dolphins or the Browns, who haven't won dick and never will with that strategy. You say you doubt it, but there's really nothing to doubt. If Jordan reaches his potential and any OT reaches theirs, the Chiefs will be kicking themselves for a long time. That's the bottom line.

    And the Chiefs have two pass-rushers, one getting up there in age and costing a boatload. A 3rd pass-rusher is way more important than a RT.

    Top 5 teams in sacks allowed: 1 playoff team.

    Top 5 teams in sacks: 4 playoff teams.

    Incidentally, there were 10 teams who allowed more sacks than the Chiefs. There were 2 teams who generated more sacks on defense.
    I don't think Joeckel is playing it safe at all. The Browns and the Dolphins never found a QB. If the Chiefs don't either have one or find one, then it will be a mistake. I never denied that. Now that you have chosen Alex, for better or for worse, I think you go with the best player available. Its not like Jordan is Jadaveon CLowney,Von Miller,Julius Peppers or even Mario Williams as a prospect. You have your choice of any player in the entire draft, you have no reason to take a humongous gamble. That's how you end up with Tyson Jackson. I like Jordan a lot fwiw. I wouldn't call it a terrible pick or anything. I just think the way you act like he is obviously a better pick is pretty laughable.

    Getting old and costing a boatload! That sounds like it describes Brandon Albert, who is one year younger than Hali and just as pricey. WTF? Not to mention he reportedly has back issues, which is a huge concern for a man his size. You're so caught up on the stat that he allowed only one sack last year that you fail to acknowledge that he's overall pretty middle of the pack. He's arguably a top 10 pass blocker for the position, but a very bad run blocker. He's going to be overpaid and he's leaving his prime.

    As for your stats, its pretty easy to not allow sacks when you don't throw the ball(27th in attempts). Its tough to generate sacks when you are behind constantly and have the 27th best run defense, not to mention a depleted secondary. Lets not throw meaningless stats around inside a vaccuum, ok?
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    20,210
    In the last 3 days it sure does seem like the presumption has went from Detroit taking Joeckel/Fisher or Ansah/Milliner of the former arent' there, to Joeckle/Fisher/Johnson

    Too bad :(

    Warner in the 2nd would be nice, however.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Fantasy Football Rankings


Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.