Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Bob View Post
    I think that was the deal they were supposed to stick to last year but that little ****ing twit LaConfora couldn't help himself.
    Not sure who to blame, but, yeah - I remember them saying this same thing last year.
    "I just want to be a really filthy old man and get paid for it." -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Adjust the contest to account for that.
    When prizes are awarded on a pick by pick basis kind of hard to do that.

LaCanfora and other non ESPN/NFL network will still report the picks as soon as they find out as is their job. If you prefer to see Goodell announce the pick and listen to McShay and Kiper more then you can stick to watching the TV.

I don't see the big deal here. Should everyone hold off until some bar manager who can't figure out how to properly run a contest gives them the ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Bob View Post
    I think that was the deal they were supposed to stick to last year but that little ****ing twit LaConfora couldn't help himself.
    Yep, I thought they made this pledge last year too.
    A Drinking Team with a Cycling Problem

Adjust the contest to account for that.
    Its hard to make a clear deadline at that point it would seem.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by hendersonsplow View Post
    LaCanfora and other non ESPN/NFL network will still report the picks as soon as they find out as is their job. If you prefer to see Goodell announce the pick and listen to McShay and Kiper more then you can stick to watching the TV.

I don't see the big deal here. Should everyone hold off until some bar manager who can't figure out how to properly run a contest gives them the ok?
    Bars have been running trivia contests a lot longer than draft contests, I figure most have some sort of contingency for contests being compromised by cell phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Edonidd View Post
    The thing I hate.more than anything though is half senile Berman thinking he's still got it. I like watching ESPN coverage except for Berman.
    Apparently they are swapping out Berman/Gruden for Dilfer/McShay/Polian after the first round. I read an article about the coverage and there was an ESPN exec who said something to the effect of "The first round is a prime time event, and we want to make it all about Berman and Gruden." Uhhhhhhh ... NOTHING should ever be all about Berman and Gruden.

So does Shefter or Mort announcing on air who teams are going to pick through their sources fall under the same blackout restrictions as the twittering?
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” -- George Best

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Its hard to make a clear deadline at that point it would seem.
    Everyone has access to the same information. Any deadline you set will provide an even playing field.

Everyone has access to the same information. Any deadline you set will provide an even playing field.
    That's hardly the point man. Nobody wants to have a contest where everyone is staring at their phone until its announced on Twitter and then filling in the blank. You might as well just let them write it in after Goodell announces it. You have to either have a deadline or a no phones policy(hard to enforce).
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Was listening to ESPN radio today and they talked about this. Apparently they did one of their sports nation polls and found out 80%+ of people didn't want picks spoiled. They went to NFL network wince they are both broadcasting the same thing and wanted to agree to both not spoil picks. NFL.com had a poll and 76% of people said don't spoil picks, so they agreed with ESPN and asked all of their people not to reveal any picks on air or Twitter.

NFL went to the other broadcasters, and told them about the agreement and asked if they would be willing to follow it. NBC did a poll and found out 85%+ of people they asked said not to spoil it. So even though they aren't broadcasting the event, they have asked their people (and PFT which i guess they own?) Not to reveal any.picks.

CBS sports has LaConforna or whatever his name is, was interviewed about this. He said "we aren't broadcasting it, so we don't care what they want. We are going to try and get as much info out as fast as we possibly can. I plan on having every single pick tweeted and hopefully retweeted before it ever gets on air. ". I guess its true, he doesn't answer to other networks so shouldn't have to do what they want, but he just comes off as a complete dick when he says it that way.

I don't really like them showing the players on the phone or some clown like Mort telling us the pick right before its announced. Maybe I just like the drama/anticipation of waiting for the commish to announce it. And I'll ignore twitter (like I always do) and probably won't be on here much as there will be a crowd at my house.

CBS sports has LaConforna or whatever his name is, was interviewed about this. He said "we aren't broadcasting it, so we don't care what they want. We are going to try and get as much info out as fast as we possibly can. I plan on having every single pick tweeted and hopefully retweeted before it ever gets on air. ". I guess its true, he doesn't answer to other networks so shouldn't have to do what they want, but he just comes off as a complete dick when he says it that way.
    Yeah I saw that too, he came across as a wanker
    "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man" - Jack Handy

I personally could care less about twitter as long as the on air people keep their mouth shut and the show producers don't automatically pan to the guy on the phone with tears streaming down his face before the pick is made.

This is a primetime event. Act like it and produce the show like it is supposed to be and that is with the drama building to the announcement. Its like the Oscar host telling who was going to win the best actor award as he introduced the two people who were presenting the award. I think it was two years ago that they put on that bush league performance that was just embarrassing from an entertainment perspective (that is what this is). Last year was better.

Was listening to ESPN radio today and they talked about this. Apparently they did one of their sports nation polls and found out 80%+ of people didn't want picks spoiled. They went to NFL network wince they are both broadcasting the same thing and wanted to agree to both not spoil picks. NFL.com had a poll and 76% of people said don't spoil picks, so they agreed with ESPN and asked all of their people not to reveal any picks on air or Twitter.

NFL went to the other broadcasters, and told them about the agreement and asked if they would be willing to follow it. NBC did a poll and found out 85%+ of people they asked said not to spoil it. So even though they aren't broadcasting the event, they have asked their people (and PFT which i guess they own?) Not to reveal any.picks.

Yeah, try as they might, the genie isn't going back in the bottle. The footage of the good ole days of Rozelle announcing the Jets picking an unknown player in the first round, and their fans frantically going through their paper Pro Football Weekly with 2 month old info trying to find a blurb about him are long gone. The draft used to be a niche event that only a handful of people cared about. Now it's a gigantic event on the national stage, and there are hundreds of people covering for a variety of local and national publications. Now with the internet each one reaches a global audience instantaneously in real time. If I were Shefter I would be pretty pissed that I spent 3 months gleaning info and working sources only to have my hands tied on the day it matters, while my competitors "break" stories I already knew about. Does the NFLN/ESPN honestly think people aren't going to be frantically checking their phones/laptops/tablets while watching their TV coverage?
    Last edited by TrueNBlue; 04-25-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    “I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.” -- George Best

Well Schefter and the rest of them can suck it...based on all the polls, its pretty clear what the FANS want, which is a broadcast where the COMMISH announces the pick...its pretty easy to ignore the internet for a few hours. People who want to know before that can go online.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast