Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NFLN/ESPN: no spoilers?

Both networks have pledged not to show images of players on the phone in the green room at Radio City Music Hall. In addition to that, both networks tell SI.com that they will tell staffers not to report pick-by-pick selections on their Twitter feeds prior to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announcing the picks on the podium.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nf...r_a3&eref=sihp

Good. The draft used to be a lot more fun.

Sweet. Now I just have to stay away from twitter and people spamming the results from twitter here (guilty...) :-)

Hopefully we get a good thread going and no one's douchey like that. It was fun back when we were all here guessing with seconds to go who the pick'd be.

Good and good. the draft used to be much more enjoyable when the guys would argue with each other who the pick would be with clips of potential picks and team needs paneling in the screen behind them. this will add to the excitement and general watchability of the draft
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

I'm happy for everyone except me, since I'm performing in a show Thursday and Friday evening, and will be stuck with the godawful ESPN iPhone app, which (at least 2 years ago, when I was last in this position) updated roughly every 25 minutes, two or three picks at a time, and managed to provide trade information maybe an hour late. At least Twitter tends to update properly on my phone. Alas.

It's still a good thing for the excitement of the show itself, and anyone who's free to watch live. Hopefully I'll benefit from that on Saturday, though it seems by then they're dropping the anti-Twitter provisions.

I think that was the deal they were supposed to stick to last year but that little ****ing twit LaConfora couldn't help himself.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

And he's not likely to help himself this year, either.

Quote Originally Posted by the article
    4. CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason LaCanfora -- who worked on-air for the NFL Network during last year's draft -- says he can't understand why fans are bothered by picks being revealed on Twitter. "Seems to me the entire point of Twitter is real-time, in-this-second news and updates, and yet people get up in arms about seeing a pick revealed on Twitter before the Commissioner announces it on TV," LaCanfora said in an email. "I'll never figure this one out."

4a. Given that ESPN and the NFL Network are restricting talent from tweeting pick-by-pick selections ahead of time, does LaCanfora see advantages working for a non-broadcast entity such as CBS? "It's definitely cool to just report and get info out and, sure, there is a different degree of freedom in that," LaCanfora said. "But my hunch is once the draft actually gets going, there will end up being several different standards and no universal understanding of exactly what the "rules" are for those broadcasting the event."
    tl;dr - "I have no intention of showing restraint, even in the face of massive public outcry for me to shut the f#!$ up. I get wood from spoiling everyone's fun, so I'll continue doing that, and to hell with all of you."

Twitter is probably OK, as long as you don't check it or have someone here posting it ahead of time.

Couldn't care less about a turd who won't get his face on TV. I have two forums and 1 TV on. Maybe a muted stream as well so I can flip. It was the constant cameras on the coming pick or broadcasters announcing it that ruined it. I won't be paying any attention to Twitter and I'll ignore KFFLers who insist on spoiling.

It's the only way that slub LaCanfora stays relevent
    As smart as the internet

We're all Bozo's on this bus.~FST

I personally don't care about people tweeting the picks. If I don't want to know it ahead of time, I will ignore it. Although since I have never even signed up for Twitter as it just doesnt appeal to me, I don't have a hard time ignoring it. However maybe I will sign up for it Saturday instead of getting an update every 30 minutes of the last 17 picks in between puff pieces they show for the third time about the guys taken on Thursday.

The thing I hate.more than anything though is half senile Berman thinking he's still got it. I like watching ESPN coverage except for Berman. Every pick he will wait until the last second, obviously knowing for the past 4-5 minutes who the pick was as they try and Hollywood it up, but then he'll say some like; "Let's go up to the commissioner and find out. Could it be such and such?"

I think thwy have gone a long way to ruining what people liked about the draft, because they wanted to broadcast it, and thought they knew better than us what we wanted to see. The picks are all delayed now just for.broadcast. they have to make sure the ticker updates at the bottom of the screen as Goodell announces it. They have to cut to a highlight package the very moment he finishes talking. They have to make sure all of the regular talking heads, not just Kiper know everything about the guy just picked. But trying to stage all of the drama takes the actual drama out of it.

I never got the big deal. You're going to find out the pick one way or another. The pick doesn't change if you find out who it is before it's officially announced.

if the league cared about how things "used to be" they would move it back to Saturday/Sunday.
    Bleeding Purple since 1977

Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    I never got the big deal. You're going to find out the pick one way or another. The pick doesn't change if you find out who it is before it's officially announced.
    Not a big deal, but there are sports bars (around here at least) that would run contests during the draft that were all but ruined because of early announcements on twitter. Not exactly a contest if the schmuck over in the corner is on his smart phone on Adam Schefter's Twitter page getting spoon fed all the picks minutes before they're made.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Not a big deal, but there are sports bars (around here at least) that would run contests during the draft that were all but ruined because of early announcements on twitter. Not exactly a contest if the schmuck over in the corner is on his smart phone on Adam Schefter's Twitter page getting spoon fed all the picks minutes before they're made.
    Adjust the contest to account for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast