Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

McClendon visits Green Bay

As posted on Twitter, Steve McClendon visited GB today.
    If signed (and not matched), we would receive no compensation.
    I can't imagine why teams are after our free agents (both unrestricted and restricted).
    I guess we're better than we thought.
    8-8?
    Last edited by Biff97; 04-18-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

LOL. We don't have the money to match anything. Guess NT would vault straigh to the top of the list.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

Edward Wilson: The United States of America. The rest of you are just visiting.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Or they'd go try and sign Hampton to a meager contract and let him try to manatee his way through one last season. :)

Not saying I won't care if it happens....but I've never seen it with Steve Mac anyway.

Raji's in his last year of his contract in GB. Could be trying to light a fire under his arse to extend?
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    Or they'd go try and sign Hampton to a meager contract and let him try to manatee his way through one last season. :)

Not saying I won't care if it happens....but I've never seen it with Steve Mac anyway.

Raji's in his last year of his contract in GB. Could be trying to light a fire under his arse to extend?
    Most definitely don't want Hampton back for another year.
    Six Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers!

I like McClendon. I'm not surprised by this.

I have never got, and still don't get, the amount of love that Steve McClendon gets. I just do not see it. At all. He's okay. Do I want him starting for Pittsburgh? Meh. Not really.

If Green Bay wants to pay a guy who's never been a starter over 2 million a year, I'd be inclined to allow them to do it.

I expect that won't be a popular opinion. I'm fine with that. McClendon's a marginal player from everything I've seen.

- westcoast

McClendon made plays when he was in. Disproportionately high for how much he played. He's not a 2 gap NT. He is a penetrating NT or an End. I think he could be a starter here at either.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

And that's the problem with guys like Hood and McC. They are penetrators, not anchor men. I think Stevie can be a productive player if used correctly. Unfortunately, we haven't done that.

Joseph Palmi: Let me ask you something... we Italians, we got our families, and we got the church; the Irish, they have the homeland, Jews their tradition; even the niggers, they got their music. What about you people, Mr. Wilson, what do you have?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

McClendon made plays when he was in. Disproportionately high for how much he played.
    I swear I'm not trying to be a dick here, but...when? I see this mentioned all the time. I watch these games too, usually more than once, and I just haven't see it.

I don't recall a single play from the last few years that I can think of where someone went "Bwhoooaa, sh@#$!! Did you see what McClendon just did?!"

And that's the problem with guys like Hood and McC. They are penetrators, not anchor men. I think Stevie can be a productive player if used correctly. Unfortunately, we haven't done that.
    Perhaps, but if McClendon is a such penetrator then he is miscast in the LeBeau defense(as a starter at least. Situational interior rusher? Fine). That isn't what his noseguards(or ends, really) are required to do. The scheme doesn't need a BJ Raji, it needs a Hampton/Wilfork/Steed. Since I doubt LeBeau is going to change his scheme any time soon, I doubt McClendon's absence will mean much if he goes.

Like I've said before, I guess he's okay. He's a marginal starter in my mind. At best I think he could maybe get to the point what von Olehoffen was at NG....which was something the team upgraded from at their first opportunity after a single season. I don't see giving that sort of player a guaranteed starter's role/starter's money. Not with the cap situation they are in. His best fit for Pittsburgh is as the backup/situational rusher. That's what they need to pay him like, IMO.

- westcoast

I like McClendon but I don't honestly see him as the dominant starter at NT we need, and unfortunately I don't know that one exists on the roster. At present have no real great hopes in Ta'amu or Fanguapo, unless either steps up I think NT is a need. If McClendon leaves I have no problem with Hampton coming back for a year, though he is not in his prime he played well enough last year and felt our problems where more with Hood and Heyward not stepping up enough outside. To me McClendon is a solid rotation guy if you have another starter at NT. He can make plays but for a whole game as a starter not sure what he'll be able to do, but he is for sure a downgrade from what we had in Hampton just as Foote is a downgrade from what we had in Farrior and Worilds will be in replacement of Harrison. We need to find upgrades in this draft.

Whether McClendon goes or not if a NT in their for us in the draft I expect us to take him.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

I swear I'm not trying to be a dick here, but...when? I see this mentioned all the time. I watch these games too, usually more than once, and I just haven't see it.

I don't recall a single play from the last few years that I can think of where someone went "Bwhoooaa, sh@#$!! Did you see what McClendon just did?!"

You and I must be watching different games because I see him making plays behind the LOS on a fairly regular basis (especially given his limited PT). Certainly more than a couple of recent first round draft picks who shall go unnamed.

Again, making plays behind the line is what he IS good at. Anchoring as a 5 tech is not. As long as we are running LeBeau's scheme he is miscast.

We haven't drafted properly along the defensive line at all in recent years and it is why we have suffered against the run moreso recently.

-George Orwell

Again, making plays behind the line is what he IS good at. Anchoring as a 5 tech is not. As long as we are running LeBeau's scheme he is miscast.
    That is pretty much what I've been saying. I agree. He's okay as a situational rusher. Otherwise...meh.

We haven't drafted properly along the defensive line at all in recent years and it is why we have suffered against the run moreso recently.
    No arguments there. Hated the Hood selection when it was made. Still do.

You and I must be watching different games because I see him making plays behind the LOS on a fairly regular basis (especially given his limited PT).

I guess we must be.

I'm almost tempted to go try and isolate him on Rewind for the whole season, but don't really care enough to do it. I'll just remain skeptical and not feel too bad if he flies the coop. :)

- westcoast

Perhaps, it's time to finally upgrade to an HD screen because you're definitely not seeing the games clearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkItAZero! View Post

But we've done so much better against the pass in recent years. We're the #1 pass defense in the league.

What teams are wrecking the league with their run games anymore? The shift to prioritize the pass, and sacrifice run D stats was done on purpose.

LeBeau has continually evolved his defense. Hopefully he is working on incorporating a penetrating DL. Considering we've been drafting for one the last few years, I really hope there is a purposeful plan here.
    The consistent factor of all of your dissatisfying relationships and failures is you.

R.W. 09.21.10 I love you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast