Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jarvis Jones, 4-3 OLB?

Mayock is the first one I've really seen put him there. Seems like a complete waste, although Jones does seem to small to be a rush LB in the 3-4. Regardless, I've never been a big fan of Mayock and his rankings are always a bit weird IMO. Anyone else agree?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10...spect-rankings

That's where I've seen him listed the most. He gets a lot of poor man's Von Miller comparisons. Nothing new really. He's too small to be a DE. He can be a 3-4 OLB in the right system, like Pittsburgh.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    That's where I've seen him listed the most. He gets a lot of poor man's Von Miller comparisons. Nothing new really. He's too small to be a DE. He can be a 3-4 OLB in the right system, like Pittsburgh.
    Or a hybrid system like Seattle or Jacksonville . . . He can play WSLB or Leo in those schemes, although his skill set fits LEO best.

IMO he compares to Bruce Irvin.

Jones is in line to be the biggest draft day slider IMO.

Scheme specific and he tested and measured horrendously.

I personally think he is going to be a mid 2nd round pick if not later. But we will see I guess as it only takes one team to fall in love.

PFT talked about Pittsburgh liking him yesterday. Obviously most of what you hear is just smoke at this point, but he reminds me of the type of pass rushers they have had success with. I could see a fit there.

I don't see him as a LEO. I don't think Irvin really played the LEO did he? Before teh Clemons injury. You still have to set the edge against the run from that spot.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Unless one of Star Lotulelei, Dion Jordan, Dee Milliner, or maybe Ansah are there at pick 17, or if the Steelers get blown away by an offer where they can move down if Jones is there I'd be very very surprised if they didn't pick him at pick 17.

I don't keep up with all the combine results and pro day results and all that garbage. As a strength and conditioning perspective, I can tell you they mean almost nothing for football. In my opinion, it's more of a social viewing where scouts and GMs and coaches can meet the player and observe what they observe. Also, they like to see the player in person for various reasons.

So I don't care about all that stuff. I will say that every time I watched Georgia play, I saw #29 all over the place. Dude can play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlowBuffalo View Post
    I don't keep up with all the combine results and pro day results and all that garbage. As a strength and conditioning perspective, I can tell you they mean almost nothing for football. In my opinion, it's more of a social viewing where scouts and GMs and coaches can meet the player and observe what they observe. Also, they like to see the player in person for various reasons.

So I don't care about all that stuff. I will say that every time I watched Georgia play, I saw #29 all over the place. Dude can play ball.
    Yeah but when i see videos of him rewatching games, i see a guy making plays when he is unblocked. One game (forget the opponent right now) they didnt try to block him till the 2nd half. He gets alot of coverage sacks too. Good player but for my team, too many concerns to pick him at #11.
    I actually think Mingo could make a good 4-3 OLB. Dont think he is going to be able to add much weight and keep it on so taking on NFL OT's is a waste for him that i see. When college OT's got hold of him, he was very ineffective.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-15-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    PFT talked about Pittsburgh liking him yesterday. Obviously most of what you hear is just smoke at this point, but he reminds me of the type of pass rushers they have had success with. I could see a fit there.
    The Colts brought him in for a visit. He might fit playing the Mathis/Suggs role in the Baltimore defense, should he drop to the Colts. I believe he's bigger than Mathis.

I don't see much point in drafting a true 4-3 LB that high. I would think it would be a waste of his potential as a pass rusher.

I don't know if he's a true 4-3 OLB. He'd definitely be a DE in passing situations. He can't play there in run situations though most likely. Think Von Miller or someone like a Roosevelt Colvin. James Harrison in Cincy will probably have this role as well. Dion Jordan could too depending on what team takes him.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSlowBuffalo View Post

Trust me, they don't spend all that money and waste all that time because the tests are meaningless. Especially considering these teams then go to a bunch of pro days and watch many of the guys run the same drills for a second time. Are the tests a perfect match for what you do on a football field? Of course not. However, they give you a baseline to work off of and I'd bet that there is more of a link than you'd think. I'd be curious to see someone do the research.

I could see the Giants taking him at 19. They've used Kiwunaka in a similar role but could potentially move him back to DE.

Not playing Kiwi at DE was one of the dumbest things I've seen. Just a waste.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Indianapolis#18 View Post
    I believe he's bigger than Mathis.
    Same small size.

Its that lack of size and complete lack of explosive testing that could cause him to fall like a rock.

If he runs a 4.9 40 yard at 245 lbs....what's he going to run when you ask him to add 10-15 lbs to be able to hold up against the run? And can he be an effective pass rusher still when he adds that weight and gets possibly a quarter of a step slower?

Then throw in the spinal stenosis and the fact that he is an older prospect because of that missed time and I just can't see any team using a 1st on him in this draft.

Although maybe people are right and there is a hybrid team out there that can use him as a LEO type.

He's definitely one of those players that will be pointed at one way or the other depending on how his career goes as to why or why not athletic testing is important. Hell he might be one of the strangest prospects in that regard where what he did in college on the football field looked entirely different than what the testing ended up saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast