Thread: Omar Bolden

Omar Bolden

John Elway - calls him out at the end of the season as having the attitude he likes to see - as a guy who came up to him and told Elway - he was going to take that starting CB job next season -then Elway signs Rogers-Cromarte - and the internet is full of rumors that the Broncos are looking at CB early. Elway is pushing buttons that Mike Shanahan never even dreamed of.

I hate to say it ( tho that's never stopped me before ), but I don't see Bolden ever being more than a special teams player and depth chart guy .

If Omar Bolden doesn't tear his ACL he comes back and is likely no later then a 2nd round pick. I think he has a bright future. Still needs another year before he is ready to start IMO... I don't see us draft a CB early. He was perhaps out best guy at covering punts last year and will contribute a lot... He isn't a KR like we had him doing last year but he will be on the field even more this year IMO...

Bolden is VERY good in coverage, his biggest weakness is playing the ball in the air. If he could improve on that he is easily an NFL starting caliber CB.

Lucas, curious what reasons do you not see Bolden as more then that? Just a gut feeling or is there something else that you are seeing?
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

Quote Originally Posted by Draft Crazy View Post

Bolden is VERY good in coverage, his biggest weakness is playing the ball in the air. If he could improve on that he is easily an NFL starting caliber CB.

Lucas, curious what reasons do you not see Bolden as more then that? Just a gut feeling or is there something else that you are seeing?
    Well ... he is somewhat small, and seems to take twice as many strides to keep up w/ receivers - I am usually more drawn to CBs who are lanky and more graceful, who look more natural in the hips - Bolden can get turned around, and with a bigger WRs, he's no going to win those battles .

I could be wrong here - I sorta felt the same way about Harris, but he is turning out to be an fine player . . . Bolden just has never jumped off the screen for me - ya know when you watch a game, or focus on a matchup, some guys just seem to jump out and strike you as a natural - Bolden just hasn't done that w/ me .

I respect your opinion, and not picking on you, but that is one issue I have always had with this place. People give up on a prospect who has been given very little chance. We basically saw Bolden in 3 PS games this year. He actually turns his hips very well. He is not a play maker and may never be that. But th fact is and what gives him a real shot in this league is he has proven in college that he is very good in coverage. He just can't play the ball. Hopefully with good coaching that changes otherwise he could be another Lenny Walls with good coverage but giving up catches because he can't play the ball worth a damn. Bolden is also active in run support. He has some technique work to do. He likes to be physical and is strong. I don't think 5'10"/195 is "small" for a CB, generally most CB's in the NFL are 5'10"/5'11" not many are over 6'0" and not many under 5'9" To me small CB's are 5'8"/5'9" common CB is 5'10/5'11" and 6 ft and taller is consider your bigger CB.

I don't think Bolden will ever be that guy who jumps out the screen as a CB if u don't make plays you seem to stay quiet, but the #1 quality I want in my CB is a guy who can cover and is willing to come up in run support and get his nose dirty. Bolden does both of those. Only time will tell, but being a rookie last year a year removed from missing a season with a torn ACL I am still very hopeful in him.
    They say that love is more important than money, but have you ever tried to pay your bills with a hug?

Quote Originally Posted by Draft Crazy View Post
    I respect your opinion, and not picking on you, but that is one issue I have always had with this place. People give up on a prospect who has been given very little chance. We basically saw Bolden in 3 PS games this year. He actually turns his hips very well. He is not a play maker and may never be that. But th fact is and what gives him a real shot in this league is he has proven in college that he is very good in coverage. He just can't play the ball. Hopefully with good coaching that changes otherwise he could be another Lenny Walls with good coverage but giving up catches because he can't play the ball worth a damn. Bolden is also active in run support. He has some technique work to do. He likes to be physical and is strong. I don't think 5'10"/195 is "small" for a CB, generally most CB's in the NFL are 5'10"/5'11" not many are over 6'0" and not many under 5'9" To me small CB's are 5'8"/5'9" common CB is 5'10/5'11" and 6 ft and taller is consider your bigger CB.

I don't think Bolden will ever be that guy who jumps out the screen as a CB if u don't make plays you seem to stay quiet, but the #1 quality I want in my CB is a guy who can cover and is willing to come up in run support and get his nose dirty. Bolden does both of those. Only time will tell, but being a rookie last year a year removed from missing a season with a torn ACL I am still very hopeful in him.
    I haven't given up on him DC, nor am I basing this on a few appearances with the Broncos ...

I'll just say "Marvin Jones" and leave it at that ;)