Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    I don't even care about bad teachers. I'm sure plenty of kids had some bad teachers and even improved anyway. The focus on teachers and tests is just so ass backwards it's hard to get the dialogue back on track.

I look at private charters and I see how much more opportunity there is to partner with local companies and local communities for a much broader learning experience than kids get locked up in a school all day.
    This is still a possibly dynamic to have without trashing the public school system in lieu of charters though.
    "Yeah, everything that guy just said is Bullsh!t..... Thank you.." -Vincent LaGuardia Gambini-

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Let teachers teach again. Classic.
    Education today is "All about the Test", raid.... I know you think that's a good thing, but I assure you it isn't.

Because folks like yourself refuse to listen to those on the front lines of the battle to better educate children, my best thought would be a compromise that does away with the tenure system (in its current form) in exchange for doing away with this retarded model of judging a profession based on someone else's performance on a standardized test...

I mean what more proof do you need that these tests do not benefit the children? Are any fewer illiterate kids graduating from our schools than before? No? How can that be? The original intent of these tests was to make sure every student had this basic knowledge before they advanced, yet they're advancing anyway? How can this be?
    "Yeah, everything that guy just said is Bullsh!t..... Thank you.." -Vincent LaGuardia Gambini-

Quote Originally Posted by Payton34 View Post
    Because we're too busy trying to make tests to prove the errant theory that our public education system is failing our kids because their teachers suck... The main issues are socio-economic, but since that would require REAL work to fix, we're going to convince everyone that its all the teacher's fault and build up more bureaucracy to tackle the problem of weeding out these "bad teachers". Then, OOPS!!! That didn't solve the problem? Our kids are still failing? Well then it must be the public school system!!! We need to build a system of privately operated schools (using public money mind you) because private, profit-driven education will OBVIOUSLY have the best interest of education in America as its priority!! (Because we know private industry is all about "The People")...

What is being lost in all of this is the fuggin' kids! I am floored at the number of standardized tests they take, and the purpose isn't really about THEM. That's the main problem.

We need to scrap this standardized testing model. Let's make sure we have administrators that will fairly judge a teacher's performance. Let teachers teach again, and if that means they do a little "hobby teaching" (That is the term for when a teacher focuses on a portion of their subject that they enjoy teaching more than other portions of the subject. ), then so be it!! Get parents and their lawyers out of the everyday operation of the schools (Its great for parents to be involved, but its time to trust that the school is NOT the enemy and that their children carry some of the burden of their own education.).

IMO this is what needs to happen to get us back on track, though I realize the bureaucracy has likely grown too large for this to ever occur. A lot of money tied up in these tests and data-driven education.... Again, it just isn't about the kids anymore.
    Payton gets it.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."
    ~ Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnut View Post
    I look at private charters and I see how much more opportunity there is to partner with local companies and local communities for a much broader learning experience than kids get locked up in a school all day.
    You're be surprised how many charters run a "locked up" model. See: KIPP, which is i believe the nations largest charter chain.
    "Stop doing the wrong things. Stop promoting competition and choice as answers to the very inequality that was created by competition and choice."

Here we go again!

CPS announces layoffs of more than 1,100

Roughly 1,100 Chicago Public Schools employees are being laid off, among them 550 teachers whose jobs were cut because of declining enrollment, officials said Thursday.

CPS said it expects to fill about 1,780 teaching vacancies before school starts in the fall to fill gaps left by retirements, resignations and staff turnover, as well as to fill slots at schools where enrollment increased. Close to 80 percent of the teaching vacancies are full-time positions, the district said.
    CTU President Karen Lewis said in a statement that the layoffs represent “yet another brutal attack on public education in Chicago” and used the occasion to take as shot at Mayor Rahm Emanuel's pursuit of President Barack Obama's library and filmmaker George Lucas' museum.

“This decision further demonstrates the disdain for public education and the lack of leadership and vision for the city from our mayor and his handpicked board,” Lewis said in the statement. “Do we want 'Star Wars' museums or public, neighborhood schools? Do we want presidential libraries or librarians for every child?”

The layoffs stem from the low level of per-pupil funding which CPS Central Office set for schools, meaning that all over the city, principals are being forced, for example, to choose between keeping a veteran teacher and keeping a program library. Current budgets are so low that schools can’t keep both.

I haven't been checking this thread because I'd moved out of Chicago by the time I had kids, and its school system has never been on my radar.

But this nails it:

Quote Originally Posted by Payton34 View Post
    Because we're too busy trying to make tests to prove the errant theory that our public education system is failing our kids because their teachers suck... The main issues are socio-economic, but since that would require REAL work to fix, we're going to convince everyone that its all the teacher's fault and build up more bureaucracy to tackle the problem of weeding out these "bad teachers". Then, OOPS!!! That didn't solve the problem? Our kids are still failing? Well then it must be the public school system!!! We need to build a system of privately operated schools (using public money mind you) because private, profit-driven education will OBVIOUSLY have the best interest of education in America as its priority!! (Because we know private industry is all about "The People")...

What is being lost in all of this is the fuggin' kids! I am floored at the number of standardized tests they take, and the purpose isn't really about THEM. That's the main problem.

We need to scrap this standardized testing model. Let's make sure we have administrators that will fairly judge a teacher's performance. Let teachers teach again, and if that means they do a little "hobby teaching" (That is the term for when a teacher focuses on a portion of their subject that they enjoy teaching more than other portions of the subject. ), then so be it!! Get parents and their lawyers out of the everyday operation of the schools (Its great for parents to be involved, but its time to trust that the school is NOT the enemy and that their children carry some of the burden of their own education.).

IMO this is what needs to happen to get us back on track, though I realize the bureaucracy has likely grown too large for this to ever occur. A lot of money tied up in these tests and data-driven education.... Again, it just isn't about the kids anymore.
    My stepdaughter took AP world and US history a couple of years ago at a very well regarded public high school. She learned almost nothing. Actually bragged in her teenagery way about how everything was geared toward taking the test: the class amounted to telling kids that they'd get away with something. Which, when the scores came in, many of them didn't. Absolutely disgusting.

For what it's worth, I went to a public high school of no real reputation in a lower-middle-class town. The teachers taught. I might've mentioned this before, but AP history was two whole class periods long, and History and Thought of Western Man took two years.
    That the world is explicable is miraculous, and so explanations need not be the undoing of miracles.

We never learn anything, never in the world, and in spite of all the history books written. There’s a regular warehouse of fine suggestions, and if we’re not better it isn’t because there aren’t plenty of marvelous and true ideas to draw on, but because our vanity weighs more than all of them put together.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789