Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofaw View Post
    The one part of this move that I really like is the fact that it basically says F U New England an Bill Belichick. They just announced to the world that they don't believe they have enough starting WRs on this team and it had to hurt that we kept Sanders. Especially considering, according to what I read, the one position Belichick has trouble drafting is WR. Now, with only 4 draft picks, hitting on that WR gets even more important. Normally NE has extra picks and the ability to draft an extra at a position and without a doubt they wish now they could do that with WR, but now for once with only 4 picks they're hurting in the draft.

As for us keeping Sanders I'm on board with ThinMan's position and that is I really like Sanders and what it cost to keep him isn't bad, but I just hope this means they believe they can get him signed long term. Otherwise I don't see much benefit of the 1 year rental we now have with him. Let me ask you guys this do you believe the Steelers kept him because even if they end up losing him they believe the Comp pick they get in return won't be much worse then the 3rd Rd pick they would have gotten from NE this season? Other then knowing they can resign him long term that's the only thing that kind of make sense with not letting him walk.

they have till next March to get a deal done with him if they want to...

I've stated why I like the signing....if ever he is going to bust out this has to be the year if not......so be it.....I still think its worth the shot.
    The Leafies are Scumbags.

The way I see it if Jarvis Jones is there I'm drafting him, but if he's not then I'm working the phone to trade down and will be happy drafting Matt Elam later in the 1st.
    I agree with this. Steelers could trade down twice to the bottom of the first round, take Elam and and go crazy with at least 3 second round picks.
    Daniel Snyder is a curse.

The one part of this move that I really like is the fact that it basically says F U New England an Bill Belichick. They just announced to the world that they don't believe they have enough starting WRs on this team and it had to hurt that we kept Sanders.
    Seriously? If it were that dire, don't you think that BB would have made the offer "unmatchable"? Belichick does not overpay, period. He put a value on Sanders and that was that. If Pitt matched it, so be it.
    Cherish your children for who they are, not who you'd like them to be.

As for us keeping Sanders I'm on board with ThinMan's position and that is I really like Sanders and what it cost to keep him isn't bad, but I just hope this means they believe they can get him signed long term. Otherwise I don't see much benefit of the 1 year rental we now have with him. Let me ask you guys this do you believe the Steelers kept him because even if they end up losing him they believe the Comp pick they get in return won't be much worse then the 3rd Rd pick they would have gotten from NE this season? Other then knowing they can resign him long term that's the only thing that kind of make sense with not letting him walk.
    My take on it is that with their franchise QB entering his 30s, the Steelers cannot afford to view things from a long term perspective.

All of their remaining years with Roethlisberger should be perceived from a "win now" perspective and letting Sanders go and replacing him with a rookie does not jive with that.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPKeaton View Post
    Seriously? If it were that dire, don't you think that BB would have made the offer "unmatchable"? Belichick does not overpay, period. He put a value on Sanders and that was that. If Pitt matched it, so be it.
    Have you read this? http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ts-at-receiver I'll just quote this one section and you can read the rest.

"If the Patriots enter the 2013 season with this as their complete receiver depth chart, it likely will be an area of major struggles. As the Patriots showed by signing Sanders to an offer sheet, they acknowledge the need for an upgrade. "

Do you really believe Kamar Aiken, Danny Amendola, Jeremy Ebert, Julian Edelman, Andre Holmes, Michael Jenkins, Donald Jones, & Matthew Slater is what New England believe's is enough at WR? I don't personally see even a #2 wideout let alone a #1. I like Amendola, but he's best as a slot receiver and he's injury prone. Who are the WRs there that any team is going to worry about? I can't see Brady being very happy with what they have at the position either.

who gives a crap about the Cheaters...

fug em.

Have you read this? http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...ts-at-receiver I'll just quote this one section and you can read the rest.

"If the Patriots enter the 2013 season with this as their complete receiver depth chart, it likely will be an area of major struggles. As the Patriots showed by signing Sanders to an offer sheet, they acknowledge the need for an upgrade. "

Do you really believe Kamar Aiken, Danny Amendola, Jeremy Ebert, Julian Edelman, Andre Holmes, Michael Jenkins, Donald Jones, & Matthew Slater is what New England believe's is enough at WR? I don't personally see even a #2 wideout let alone a #1. I like Amendola, but he's best as a slot receiver and he's injury prone. Who are the WRs there that any team is going to worry about? I can't see Brady being very happy with what they have at the position either.
    They'd still have Welker if Billy wasn't such a b word. He seems to hate life, yet he chose to be a leader. I don't understand him.

someone will want to move up to get one of the QBs....
    I wouldn't count on that. The QBs in this class are.....beyond meh.
    Last edited by ThinMan; 04-15-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

just over 3 yrs ago the Steelers dealt S.Holmes to the Jets for a 5th....

The way I see it if Jarvis Jones is there I'm drafting him, but if he's not then I'm working the phone to trade down and will be happy drafting Matt Elam later in the 1st.
    Agree. Just substitute Jesse Williams for Elam and we're there.

It could still happen because there are alot of dumb GMs/FOs but this draft should have very few trades to do the fact there is plenty of talent but no true standouts to move up for at the skill positions. When you can stay put and get talent that is similar enough to the prospect you'd have to move up 10 - 15 spots to get why move up.

I am only liking the Sanders matching if and only if we sign him to an extension prior to the season, if not it was the wrong move since we'll have 3 WRs (Sanders, Cotchery and Burress, not that I care about Burress at all) who are FAs after the season and we'll be back to square one trying to find WRs, when we could have drafted one this year to develop and have for a few years, possible 2 WRs signed for awhile (other than Brown).
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

I am only liking the Sanders matching if and only if we sign him to an extension prior to the season, if not it was the wrong move since we'll have 3 WRs (Sanders, Cotchery and Burress, not that I care about Burress at all) who are FAs after the season and we'll be back to square one trying to find WRs, when we could have drafted one this year to develop and have for a few years, possible 2 WRs signed for awhile (other than Brown).
    While I agree with most of this in theory, I don't think retaining Manny is going to stop them from drafting a WR at all. Cotch and Burress are both aging and, as you say, short-timers contractually. One WR, at least, will be drafted.

Hell, I'm seeing talking heads opining that they'd be unsurprised if the Steelers STILL took Patterson at 17. At least one(Wexell)was opining that "with Sanders retained, they could throw Patterson out there exactly how Wallace was in his rookie season; go run two routes and try and score TDs every time you touch the ball. With the added bonus of using him as a plus returner."(paraphrasing) He wasn't championing the idea by any means, just stating that he would not be totally shocked. Makes me wonder what he's been hearing about how they feel about ol' Corduroy.
    "I'm like a hungry piranha with a capybara on it's period in the water..."

- westcoast

Yeah but that would be my point, I fully expect us to draft a WR even if Sanders was matched but say they do bring in Patterson and he is signed for 4 years so you have he and Brown, Sanders doesn't sign and extension and has a good year, then he leaves after next year ala K. Lewis because we didn't sign him long term and now we have Brown and Patterson, Sanders leaves and Cotchery and Burress are FAs as well so you're trying to resign one or both of them and needing to hit draft again to find at least a #3 if not a starter depending on how Patterson progresses if at all, unless you get lucky an undrafted guy from this year or late rounder.

If Sanders signs and extension and you bring in Patterson (or whoever) then you have your three top WRs set for a few years.
    "Once I start, they'll be no stopping me."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234