Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 42 of 42
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    59,314
    Austin would be a nice addition solely because it would hopefully prevent Rivers from making so many dumb throws.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    Austin's an anomaly no doubt, but I think you have to accept that he's going in the 1st at this point. If you want to argue he'll fall our of the top half, I get that.

    Warmack would definitely be a good pick for them. I can't understand why they let Vasquez go for the life of me. How do you let that OL get weaker? I do like the Dunlap signing though, underrated pass blocker.
    Ill argue he will be a bottom first round pick if not be a 2nd round pick. He is just so small. He could help but they need OL badly not some little WR at #11.

    As for Vasquez, he isnt a great RG but a good one. Good in pass protection, not so good as a run blocker and they felt 5-6 million a year was too much for him. Their OC will probably get replaced after this year and my guess is Gaither will get released in a couple weeks so OL is still a big problem.
    They did sign Dunlap, Rinehart and some OG who was with AZ and their second worst OL last season but they need much more talent.
    My guess is if the OT's are gone at #11, they will draft Warmack or Cooper.
    That will help Rivers the most, not a small WR. Again as i pointed out before, if he has protection, he can throw to anyone like he did in 2010 with the scrap heap group he had.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Austin would be a nice addition solely because it would hopefully prevent Rivers from making so many dumb throws.
    LOL, again a better OL will prevent that more. They dont lack some talent at WR. Vincent Brown is going to be a good one. Remember that name.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    59,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
    LOL, again a better OL will prevent that more. They dont lack some talent at WR. Vincent Brown is going to be a good one. Remember that name.
    I don't disagree with you that they need OL.

    Just saying that it wouldn't hurt having a security blanket.

    is alexander going to be back?
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

    "Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

    "Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulu Bak View Post
    Ted Ginn Jr. Technically, he was 178, so doesn't meet your criteria, but he was also 2 inches taller, and less polished as a receiver. Granted, smaller WRs don't go that high very often, but I think smaller, more elusive WRs will get a look earlier more often in the future. That said, I agree that wouldn't be a good pick for the Chargers.
    Ginn is close i guess but he is actually 3" taller than Austin....and he has been a huge bust. Cam Cameron picked him so high because he knows his family...lol. What a moron. If not for that, i think he was a 2nd rounder as well. I had him at like #40 in my mock that year.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,607
    Ginn wouldn't have fallen to the 2nd for the same reason Austin won't fall anywhere near that low, either: the NFL is in undying love with speed.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by The Q View Post
    Austin would be a nice addition solely because it would hopefully prevent Rivers from making so many dumb throws.
    My thoughts exactly.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Ill argue he will be a bottom first round pick if not be a 2nd round pick. He is just so small. He could help but they need OL badly not some little WR at #11.

    As for Vasquez, he isnt a great RG but a good one. Good in pass protection, not so good as a run blocker and they felt 5-6 million a year was too much for him. Their OC will probably get replaced after this year and my guess is Gaither will get released in a couple weeks so OL is still a big problem.
    They did sign Dunlap, Rinehart and some OG who was with AZ and their second worst OL last season but they need much more talent.
    My guess is if the OT's are gone at #11, they will draft Warmack or Cooper.
    That will help Rivers the most, not a small WR. Again as i pointed out before, if he has protection, he can throw to anyone like he did in 2010 with the scrap heap group he had.
    I completely disagree. We'll just have to wait and see where Austin goes I guess(not where he should go necessarily) and as far as Rivers, he has gotten worse the worse his WRs have gotten if you ask me. I have no disagreement with the idea that his OL needs improving. I just think AUstin fills a big need too.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
    I completely disagree. We'll just have to wait and see where Austin goes I guess(not where he should go necessarily) and as far as Rivers, he has gotten worse the worse his WRs have gotten if you ask me. I have no disagreement with the idea that his OL needs improving. I just think AUstin fills a big need too.
    Id agree, IF WR were a big need but it isnt. Glad you guys know my team of 35 years more than i do. But if you recall , i have been in here for some years now and everytime you guys try and tell me what we need.....like the ILB you tried to draft us a couple years ago in the first round and i strongly disagreed like i am now...i was right then and i was right when you (not you, but the forum) wanted to draft us a WR a few years ago saying it was a huge need when i said it wasnt. I was right again.

    IF they draft a WR in this draft, it will be rounds 3-5 depending on if we lose Alexander, which i doubt we will. And again, we are getting Vincent Brown back from being on IR all year with a broken ankle. He is going to be a good one and only add to the group we already have. Meachem can only be better from last year.

    I expect a lot of different looks on offense this year and rumor has it they plan to use no huddle often. Something Rivers was good at but Norv didnt utilize very often.

    As for Rivers getting worse the worse his WR's are, ill point out AGAIN in 2010 when they got WR's from the scrap heap( No Vince Jacksontill week 11 and he missed one of those last 6 games) and had to play a UDFA rookie and he set a record by completing passes to 17 different players and he had one of his best...if not his best season. This is the 3rd time ive said this now.

    The OL will be the biggest factor. Does a playmaker hurt? Never does but they have so many bigger holes to fill on the OL and on defense at ILB, OLB and NT and perhaps SS depending on if Brandon Taylor can make it back from his torn ACL that happened late in the season.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-25-2013 at 08:08 PM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, nv
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
    Ginn wouldn't have fallen to the 2nd for the same reason Austin won't fall anywhere near that low, either: the NFL is in undying love with speed.
    Ginn wasnt that good of a WR. He just had really good return skills. Desean Jackson was a much better WR and a good return man and was taken in round 2. And BTW he was 169 lbs.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    19,607
    Jackson was a steal, widely regarded as such, and had other question marks. You're continuing to try to oversimplify things. Book it: Austin will be taken long before the 1st round ends. It's just that simple. I'll bet anything on it.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38,440
    I'd say 16 is his floor
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  






Part of USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties.