Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1st round mock with some commentary

1... Buffalo Bills (f/ KC) - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

Tarvaris Jackson. Enough said? Well, seriously, I think they have to make a move. If it's not Nick Foles or Ryan Mallett (and it won't be the latter), they're drafting someone high. It's now evident that what I said in January will be the case: Geno isn't sliding this low. And if not him, who? Everyone agrees the #2 guy isn't anything close to a top 10 pick. Not. Even. Close.

For the record, I think if a deal like this gets done, it's for much less than the RG3 deal, and much cheaper than the value chart. Something like #8, a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. Or maybe even just a future 1st on top of #8 (which would be pretty attractive in the eyes of everyone other than the overconfident GM of the team trading it away, thinking they'll be better than they will be).

2... Jacksonvile Jaguars - DE/LB Dion Jordan, Oregon

Another team whose biggest need is pass-rush. Unlike the team prior, they don't have two double-digit rushers and can easily justify trying to get one here. It's just a case of who they like most, and I'm working on the assumption that Jarvis Jones' health questions are enough to make teams pass this high.

3... Oakland Raiders - LT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

Quite frankly they need help everywhere. Their GM is from the BPA school of thought, and while their LT is a solid player, he's not great, and he'd be better at RT than left. This gives them legitimate bookend tackles and helps stabilize an OL that's been bad for years.

4... Philadelphia Eagles - OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan

With the investment in Barwin, I think they expect him to be a key player. They've also got Cole and Graham, which isn't enough to put them off a rusher, but with Jordan gone I think they opt for Fisher, who can play RT at a high level if Peters comes back, and either way projects as a long-term answer as an athletic LT in Kelly's offense.

5... Detroit Lions - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama

I think they would've really liked one of the top two tackles here, but not enough to trade up by any means with the defensive needs they have. Ansah is going to tempt every team I've written about so far, and he should here with Avril gone and nothing much else at DE, but I think Milliner's the better, more polished player who can step in right away and help cover the likes of Jennings, Marshall, etc.

6... Cleveland Browns - DL Sharrif Floyd, Florida

In reality they need more help scoring points, but nothing adds up here. I think Ansah projects as a much better player than both Kruger and Sheard, but they probably want to give it at least a year to see what they have with them as OLBs. Taylor makes for a nice NT, but what do they have in the way of disrupting the offensive line up front? If Floyd ends up as good as some people think, this could be a steal.

7... Arizona Cardinals - LT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma

I think Geno or one of the top 2 LTs sliding is Arizona's hope, but Johnson's a nice fallback. Their QB situation is a joke but Matt Barkley? To be honest I expect QBs to go higher than I project them, but I don't see any fits based on the talent of the players. Ansah again has to be tempting, but they can't ignore the OL forever.

8... Kansas City Chiefs (via BUF) - DE/LB Ziggy Ansah, BYU

Surprise! Well, maybe not since I've talked about him a bunch, but I think the Chiefs make a surprise pick here with Ansah. It perhaps shouldn't be such a surprise, though, as the Chiefs have talented options to play RT (an important but not critical position like LT), and the biggest need on the team is pass-rush. They were 3rd worst in the league last year despite Hali and Houston on the edges. I think teams can game plan them due to the complete void of anyone else even remotely capable of pressuring the QB. Floyd would be an option if he's here, but since he's not, Ansah could be the next relentless pass-rusher KC scoops via Africa. CB is no longer a need and Star simply doesn't fit what the Chiefs need (either a rusher or athletic, lean body on the line).

9... New York Jets - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

This is where the options start to thin out and any questions about his health are far outweighed by how much better he is than anyone else on the board. IMO he's the best player in this draft and we look back in 3 years and say, how the hell did he end up in NY?

10... Tennessee Titans - DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri

I'm not so sure this team won't make some major noise around the draft, but for now I'll leave them here and give them a guy who helps that defense, which needs a lot of it. He's a bit of a risk but has upside, and Tennessee always seems to end up with a player like that one way or another.

[b]11... San Diego Chargers - WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

What a fall from relative grace. It looks to me like they need help everywhere. I considered Warmack before quickly reconsidering. To be honest I don't know how to help them most here, so I'm going with the guy who can help their QB the most, a rocket-fueled security blank who can also stretch the field and scores from anywhere. It used to be that the Chargers can beat you deep with VJax et al or move the chains in chunks with Gates. Now they can't do either.

12... Miami Dolphins - S Kenny Vaccarro, Texas

Supposed offseason champs, I see a defense with a bunch of holes. The big one is at DB where they lack talent, playmaking ability and depth. Vaccarro helps them in those regards.

13... Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

Their safeties could be among the best in the league, but last year's horrendous pass defense still needs a lot of help, both in rushing and covering. Mingo could be an option here but those corners are ugly. They might land Revis but it won't be for this pick, and they'll still need more help.

14. Caroline Panthers - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

15. New Orleans Saints - OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU

16. St. Louis Rams - WR Cordarelle Patterson, Tennessee

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - OT DJ Fluker, Alabama

18. Dallas Cowboys - OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

19. New York Giants - TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

20. Chicago Bears - OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

21. Cincinnati Bengals - DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State

22. St. Louis Rams - RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama

23. Minnesota Vikings - CB Desmond Trufant, Washington

24. Indianapolis Colts - CB David Amerson, NC State

25. Minnesota Vikings - DT Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State

26. Green Bay Packers - OLB Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

27. Houston Texans - S Eric Reid, LSU

28. Denver Broncos - S Matt Elam, Florida

29. New England Patriots - WR Keenan Allen, California

30. Atlanta Falcons - CB Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State

31. San Francisco 49ers - DL Sylvester Williams, North Carolina

32. Baltimore Ravens - LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia

Interesting mock. Pretty solid I'd say. The Buffalo trade up makes a lot of sense. No shock that you have the Gs slipping a bit ;)

I think a few of the guys at the end probably aren't first rounders. Lacy,Hankins,Banks,Reid and maybe Moore. Banks and Lacy especially.

I think Werner slips out of the top 10, but probalby not much farther. I'd like it a lot better if you swapped him and Richardson. Tennessee is probably good at DT, as Casey and Martin played well last year, especially vs. the pass and they added Hill for a run stuffing element. I'm not saying they are all world players, but I don't see them taking a DT at 10, especially for subpar value.

I think Veldeheer is better at LT and I think he's pretty damn good. THe Raiders could use an OT, but that defense is too bad to ignore if they aren't taking a QB.
    "Governing doesn’t disappear when government shrinks; instead corporations come to govern your life — like HMO’s, oil companies, drug companies, agribusiness, and so on, with accountability only to maximizing profit, not to public needs." - George Lakoff

Not big on the Hankins pick. Would rather have Allen, Elam or Williams at that spot.

Thanks for throwing it together. Although the Steelers have 2011 second round pick Gilbert penciled in at LT, no one is all that confident he can do the job and if they don't re-sign Max Starks then maybe they go with Fluker. I think they value Cooper and Warmack higher even though they re-signed Foster who is versatile and can play both guard and tackle. We have so many needs right now so I wouldn't be surprised at almost any pick. I'm not sure Fluker warrants a pick at number 17, rather trade back like probably everyone else. They could go CB since we lost Lewis even though we have Cortez Allen ready to go but Ike Taylor's getting up there. If the rumor of New England offering restricted free agent Sanders a contract, we're in deep sh!t at WR so they will definitely be looking there early as well.

I don't like the Floyd pick, nor do I think it's particularly likely (unless they trade Rubin). If they're still considering going that direction, I think Ansah would be the more likely option due to his potential versatility.

I could see the Browns shocking some people by taking Austin/Patterson, and Millner has to be near the top of their board, but I think their ' #1 target could be Geno Smith.
    Last edited by Xulu Bak; 03-16-2013 at 09:45 PM.

There would be one happy Broncos fan (DC) if Denver selected Elam at 28.

Props on putting the mock together but if the niners draft Williams with Datone Jones and Kawann Short on the board I'm going to grow my hair out just so I can tear it out.
    Draft well and then coach em up!

Find the next Ronnie Lott & Justin Smith & Jerry Rice & Deion Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
    two.
    There is a time to laugh and a time not to laugh, and this is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringStein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    two.

I was working on my mock the other day and I have the Bills trading up to #1 for Geno, also. Their GM has stated he needs a QB this offseason and since there are no viable options on the FA market, it only makes sense to make a splash in the draft. It seems that Smith has proven to people that he may be able to be a franchise QB in this league and that will be good enough for Buffalo to throw a few picks (#8, 2nd round, 1st next year would be a decent value for both teams) at KC (who has done a great job plugging holes in FA so far.
    As cliche as it may sound, I'd like to raise another round, and if your bottle's empty help yourself to mine, thank you for your time and here's to life.

I like Veldheer at LT but if the top two LTs are sitting there at 3, Raiders should either take one or trade down. Best player available is absolutely the right move in Oakland after 10 years of botched 1st round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Genus49 View Post
    Props on putting the mock together but if the niners draft Williams with Datone Jones and Kawann Short on the board I'm going to grow my hair out just so I can tear it out.
    I have neither the hair to pull nor the hair to grow... but I agree with the preference for Datone Jones. Interesting Mock. Nice job.
    CB: *Marcus Peters, WA; *Trae Waynes, MI St.; *Jalen Collins, LSU; Cam Thomas, W. KY; Julian Wilson, OK; Eric Murray, MN - OLB: Hau'oli Kikaha, WA - ILB: Denzel Perryman, Mia.; Eric Kendricks, UCLA; DE: *Shawn Oakman, Baylor; Henry Anderson, Stan.; *Xavier Cooper, WA St.; *Sheldon Day, N.D.; Travis Raciti, SJ St.; - NT: Danny Shelton, WA; S: Kurtis Drummund, MI St.; *Karl Joseph, WVA; *Durell Eskridge, Syra.; WR: *Jaelen Strong, AZ St.; Kasen Williams, WA; Kevin White, WVA; Geremy Davis, UConn

I'd be real happy with Cooper for the Bears.
    BEAR DOWN..................... AND WHILE YOU'RE DOWN THERE.....

Quote Originally Posted by mouse View Post
    I'd be real happy with Cooper for the Bears.
    Definitely a best case scenario for the Bears.

Honestly, Rhodes might be the best pick for Tenn.

They freaking love playing their S's in nickel and dime coverage. Might as well get a guy who can actually, you know, cover one of the other team's receivers.
    Mac9, to the true warrior. the ultimate competitor and the most worth adversary any athlete has ever faced off against. He was an inspiration for both his on the field play, off the field contributions and his leadership. The world is now a worse place without him.

"Have the courage to have your wisdom regarded as stupidity" - Justice Antonin Scalia

"Just because you're the lone voice in the wilderness, it doesn't mean you're wrong."
    - Ghandi

Steelers won't take DJ Fluker. Draft falls poorly for them. I bet they'd attempt a trade down or take Warmack or Damontre Moore if this is how it goes. Congrats on the effort!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast