Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bears rumored to offer contract to Jake Long

On Twitter and his website, Incarcerated Bob has mentioned the Bears are "all over Jake Long and made an early offer".

If you aren't familiar with Incarcerated Bob, he's been breaking a lot of big things on Twitter for the last year or so, as well as trashing Mike Florio(to many people's amusement) in the process. He's hit on Manning to the Broncos, Mario Williams to the Bills, and more. I know a lot of people dont give credence to Twitter reporters, but he's been pretty on point for a while.

That said, if it is true, its just an offer, and it might not be anywhere near what Long is seeking. But its food for the rumor hungry

Interesting...thanks for the update.
    "Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception." - George Orwell

It would have to have some creative salary schedule, and we would be treading very close to the league tampering mandate.
    Odd Facts:

The human brain is incapable of producing a face. Any face you see when you dream is one that you have physically viewed at some point in your life.

The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust.”

Nearly three percent of the ice in Antarctic glaciers is penguin urine.

When you see little white or clear dots floating in your vision, they are actually your own white blood cells.

Not surprised.

I predicted Long months ago, with Baker as a possibly secondary, if they can't free up enough money.

A gamble, but a far better one than their roster or drafting at 20+.
    The word "hero" is frequently abused badly. This is a real hero.

Quote Originally Posted by janos_51 View Post
    It would have to have some creative salary schedule, and we would be treading very close to the league tampering mandate.
    Sounds like the tampering rules changed this year - we can talk for 3 days prior to the actual beginning of free agency, and even offer contracts. We just can't officially sign them or announce them. I doubt "incarcerated bob" would count as an actual announcement.

I'm encouraged by the fact that we are rumored to be pursuing O-linemen this free agency. It is a year later than I was hoping, but at least the problem may get addressed. And Jake Long is young enough and talented enough that he is at least a good bet - failure would be the result of injury, not inability.

My only fear is that we will stop at one key cog and think the problem is solved. Even if we land a LT in Free Agency, I'd like to see 2 of our top 4 picks and maybe a 3rd later pick used on the O-line. Where would we have to reach to land Barrett Jones? His versatility and ability to play multiple interior positions could really be an asset. I see Kiper has him ranked as the 3rd best Center.... that makes him what a 4th rounder? Most mocks I've seen have the top LT's off the board when we draft, but a lot of them have Warmack sitting there..... Bushrod or Long, Warmack in the first, and Jones in the 3rd/4th would be an interesting O-line renovation.....
    Tall, Dorky, and Ham-handed

According to Scheffler, this is the rule the NFL passed out:
    ESPN's Adam Schefter has details of the memo:
    "Clubs are advised that prior to the beginning of the new League Year it is impermissible for a club to enter into an agreement of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent or understandings of any kind concerning the terms or conditions of employment offered to, or to be offered to, any prospective Unrestricted Free Agent for inclusion in a Player Contract after the start of the new League Year.

"Any announcement of an agreement or an agreement in principle by a club or another party, including, but not limited to, a certified agent, player, or media organization may subject the club to a tampering investigation."
    So maybe an actual offer to Long would be problematic. But they could at least talk numbers and express interest, so long as nothing was agreed to, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Malg View Post
    On Twitter and his website, Incarcerated Bob has mentioned the Bears are "all over Jake Long and made an early offer".

If you aren't familiar with Incarcerated Bob, he's been breaking a lot of big things on Twitter for the last year or so, as well as trashing Mike Florio(to many people's amusement) in the process. He's hit on Manning to the Broncos, Mario Williams to the Bills, and more. I know a lot of people dont give credence to Twitter reporters, but he's been pretty on point for a while.

That said, if it is true, its just an offer, and it might not be anywhere near what Long is seeking. But its food for the rumor hungry
    He's also been wrong on a lot of things in the past too. And if you're trying to pass yourself as credible, uh, Incarcerated Bob? The "guy" can do better. And, with Emery playing it close to the vest, I'd be surprised if they made an offer yet, but like you said...a rumor is a rumor.

Chewtoy, I think Barrett Jones is more of a 2nd rounder than a 4th rounder.

Anyone else worried about Long's injury history? Of course I'd rather have Long at LT instead of Webb or even Bushrod.

hell yeah i'm worried about Long's injury history (which is rather, er, long). having him at LT on the depth chart doesn't matter if he's on IR.

he's probably the best of a mediocre bunch, honestly. i might roll dice on Sebastian Vollmer's ability to switch sides, but otherwise it's pretty much Long or Bushrod (who's been inconsistent in his best years).
    Your Chicago Bears: still learning about this newfangled thing called the "forward pass."

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    hell yeah i'm worried about Long's injury history (which is rather, er, long).
    :-/ I see what you did there...

Quote Originally Posted by thunderspirit View Post
    he's probably the best of a mediocre bunch, honestly. i might roll dice on Sebastian Vollmer's ability to switch sides, but otherwise it's pretty much Long or Bushrod (who's been inconsistent in his best years).
    Vollmer has back issues, which are a BIG problem for guys his size. I'd rather roll the dice on Long, who's had injuries to be sure, but they aren't of the chronic variety IIRC.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Navin101 View Post
    Chewtoy, I think Barrett Jones is more of a 2nd rounder than a 4th rounder.

Anyone else worried about Long's injury history? Of course I'd rather have Long at LT instead of Webb or even Bushrod.
    Fair enough re: Jones. I was going mostly by positional value - most years the #3 C goes in rounds 4-6. If Jones is rated as a 2nd rounder, that would clearly make my earlier plan unreasonable. Which is unfortunate because my main point is still the same - i want multiple O-line upgrades this offseason, not just one.

Sam Baker is interesting too (and Emery was in the Falcons organization when he was drafted), but yet again, a pretty big injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by chewtoy View Post
    Fair enough re: Jones. I was going mostly by positional value - most years the #3 C goes in rounds 4-6. If Jones is rated as a 2nd rounder, that would clearly make my earlier plan unreasonable. Which is unfortunate because my main point is still the same - i want multiple O-line upgrades this offseason, not just one.
    I think the intent of your plan is very reasonable. But Warmack has no shot at lasting until #20, and I agree that Jones is a 2nd rounder. But I do think that we use 2 picks in the first 4 rounds on oline, independent of acquiring one in FA. Most here would like to see us trade backfrom 20 to get another pick or two.

Quote Originally Posted by brantcruz50 View Post
    I think the intent of your plan is very reasonable. But Warmack has no shot at lasting until #20, and I agree that Jones is a 2nd rounder. But I do think that we use 2 picks in the first 4 rounds on oline, independent of acquiring one in FA. Most here would like to see us trade backfrom 20 to get another pick or two.
    You may be right re: Warmack. I was going based off two things:

1.) McShay has him going 18 right now
    2.) Guards often slip relative to the big time mocks.

At 18, he wouldn't have to slip far....

Regardless, even if he isn't there, I'd like to see us get some O-line talent to surround whoever we can attract in FA.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast